Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation

robla at wikimedia

Aug 31, 2011, 12:57 PM

Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation

Hi everyone,

I’m extremely pleased to welcome Aaron Schulz to Wikimedia Foundation
as a full-time developer in Platform Engineering.  Aaron is a
long-time MediaWiki developer, starting as a volunteer in 2007.  He
quickly proved adept at working with the FlaggedRevs extension, so WMF
hired him as a student contractor to take on development, and is now
still the primary developer of the FlaggedRevs extension in use on
many of our larger wikis today.  More recently, he volunteered a lot
of the initial work on IPv6 compliance, and has made many small fixes
and improvement in the MediaWiki core.  Aaron has been so active in
MediaWiki in the past few years that 5,527 of the 95,732 revisions in
our main source code repository have his name on them.[1]

This summer, Aaron continued his student contractor work on our
software deployment infrastructure, working on the Heterogeneous
Deployment project, which we plan to use to roll out MediaWiki 1.18 in
a controlled manner in September.  He's one of many developers who is
slogging away at reviewing code commits in anticipation of 1.18, and
will generally be working on operational and performance-oriented
projects.

Welcome, Aaron!

Rob
[1] See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/author/aaron

hashar+wmf at free

Aug 31, 2011, 1:19 PM

Re: Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation [In reply to]

On 31/08/11 21:57, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m extremely pleased to welcome Aaron Schulz to Wikimedia Foundation
> as a full-time developer in Platform Engineering.

Hurrah! It is great to know you will be dedicated to MW developement \o/

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Platonides at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 2:10 PM

Re: Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation [In reply to]

Those are good news (tm) both for Aaron, WMF and MediaWiki.
Congratulations, Aaron

danese at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 2:11 PM

Re: Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation [In reply to]

Congrats, Aaron. I know you made the right decision. Hope you have a blast!

Danese

On Aug 31, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m extremely pleased to welcome Aaron Schulz to Wikimedia Foundation
> as a full-time developer in Platform Engineering. Aaron is a
> long-time MediaWiki developer, starting as a volunteer in 2007. He
> quickly proved adept at working with the FlaggedRevs extension, so WMF
> hired him as a student contractor to take on development, and is now
> still the primary developer of the FlaggedRevs extension in use on
> many of our larger wikis today. More recently, he volunteered a lot
> of the initial work on IPv6 compliance, and has made many small fixes
> and improvement in the MediaWiki core. Aaron has been so active in
> MediaWiki in the past few years that 5,527 of the 95,732 revisions in
> our main source code repository have his name on them.[1]
>
> This summer, Aaron continued his student contractor work on our
> software deployment infrastructure, working on the Heterogeneous
> Deployment project, which we plan to use to roll out MediaWiki 1.18 in
> a controlled manner in September. He's one of many developers who is
> slogging away at reviewing code commits in anticipation of 1.18, and
> will generally be working on operational and performance-oriented
> projects.
>
> Welcome, Aaron!
>
> Rob
> [1] See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/author/aaron

aschulz4587 at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 7:40 PM

Re: Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation [In reply to]

Thanks. Very much appreciated.

Platonides wrote:

> Those are good news (tm) both for Aaron, WMF and MediaWiki.
> Congratulations, Aaron

erik at wikimedia

Aug 31, 2011, 7:52 PM

Re: Aaron Schulz now full-time at Wikimedia Foundation [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Platonides <Platonides [at] gmail> wrote:
> Those are good news (tm) both for Aaron, WMF and MediaWiki.

Indeed -- belated welcome from me as well, Aaron. It's been a while
and it's fantastic to have you on the staff! :-)
--
Erik Möller