A new "quizz" extension, please try out the prototype

drakefjustin at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 6:24 AM

A new "quizz" extension, please try out the prototype

In my spare time I have been coding a MediaWiki extension to generate
quizzes automatically from Wikipedia content.

I would be *very* interested in your feedback, so I have put a basic
prototype online, available at http://wikilearner.net/wiki

It's rough on the edges, but I hope you get the basic idea.

To be quizzed on content of your choice, simple create a new article
on the wiki, copy-pasting your favorite Wikipedia content. I suggest
you remove <ref> tags, templates, and alike which are not yet
supported on my wiki.

Cheers,
Justin

sumanah at wikimedia

Aug 31, 2011, 9:30 AM

Re: A new "quizz" extension, please try out the prototype [In reply to]

On 08/31/2011 09:24 AM, Justin Drake wrote:
> In my spare time I have been coding a MediaWiki extension to generate
> quizzes automatically from Wikipedia content.
>
> I would be *very* interested in your feedback, so I have put a basic
> prototype online, available at http://wikilearner.net/wiki

Justin:

Thanks for the heads-up! You should put a page for the extension up at
mediawiki.org and link to the source code to download.

I see that the page offers me choices of what words to put in a slot; is
it configurable, whether the page offers those choices or just makes the
user type in words from scratch?

I know it's rough right now, but when I'm deciding what word to put in a
blank I wish I could click on a word button and thus choose it.

And you probably don't want your Talk pages to include artifacts of the
quiz functionality, as
http://wikilearner.net/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page&action=edit&redlink=1
does.

Have you gotten feedback on this prototype from any teachers yet?

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

drakefjustin at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 10:18 AM

Re: A new "quizz" extension, please try out the prototype [In reply to]

Dear Sumana,

Thanks for the reply. Here are some clarifications:

Q: You should put a page for the extension up at mediawiki.org and
link to the source code to download.