[RFC] Drop actions in favor of special pages and wiki pages

lists at nadir-seen-fire

Aug 31, 2011, 12:13 AM

[RFC] Drop actions in favor of special pages and wiki pages

There's a new RFC page up on the wiki:
http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Drop_actions_in_favor_of_special_pages_and_wiki_pages

...can't figure out how I would summarize it here so I'll let the RFC
page speak for itself.

innocentkiller at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 7:32 AM

Re: [RFC] Drop actions in favor of special pages and wiki pages [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Daniel Friesen
<lists [at] nadir-seen-fire> wrote:
> There's a new RFC page up on the wiki:
> http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Drop_actions_in_favor_of_special_pages_and_wiki_pages
>
> ...can't figure out how I would summarize it here so I'll let the RFC
> page speak for itself.

Thanks for writing this up. I've added a few quick comments and put it
on my watchlist.

I *hate* action urls. They overly complicate Article and related classes, and
date from a time before special pages existed. While on the one hand I think
the cleanup recently to make Action classes and move the code out was a
positive thing...I agree the better course of action is to kill them
entirely. Of
course, things like action=edit should work as back-compat for near eternity
(supporting action=foobar redirects to Special:Foobar/Title would take very
little code).

-Chad

thomas.dalton at gmail

Aug 31, 2011, 9:02 AM

Re: [RFC] Drop actions in favor of special pages and wiki pages [In reply to]

On 31 August 2011 15:32, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> I *hate* action urls. They overly complicate Article and related classes, and
> date from a time before special pages existed. While on the one hand I think
> the cleanup recently to make Action classes and move the code out was a
> positive thing...I agree the better course of action is to kill them
> entirely. Of
> course, things like action=edit should work as back-compat for near eternity
> (supporting action=foobar redirects to Special:Foobar/Title would take very
> little code).

We should probably be commenting on the wiki, but I'm at work at the
moment and this is quicker. While it may well be true that special
pages are better from a programming point of view, I much prefer
action urls from a user point of view. I quite often get to pages by
modifying urls rather than clicking links (why load an article before
editing it when you can go straight to the edit page?) and I find it
much easier to do that with action urls than special pages. If nothing
else, it means the edit page and the article page are next to each
other in the alphabetical list of recently viewed pages that appears
when I start typing.

lists at nadir-seen-fire

Aug 31, 2011, 2:31 PM

Re: [RFC] Drop actions in favor of special pages and wiki pages [In reply to]

On 11-08-31 09:02 AM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 31 August 2011 15:32, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I *hate* action urls. They overly complicate Article and related classes, and
>> date from a time before special pages existed. While on the one hand I think
>> the cleanup recently to make Action classes and move the code out was a
>> positive thing...I agree the better course of action is to kill them
>> entirely. Of
>> course, things like action=edit should work as back-compat for near eternity
>> (supporting action=foobar redirects to Special:Foobar/Title would take very
>> little code).
> We should probably be commenting on the wiki, but I'm at work at the
> moment and this is quicker. While it may well be true that special
> pages are better from a programming point of view, I much prefer
> action urls from a user point of view. I quite often get to pages by
> modifying urls rather than clicking links (why load an article before
> editing it when you can go straight to the edit page?) and I find it
> much easier to do that with action urls than special pages. If nothing
> else, it means the edit page and the article page are next to each
> other in the alphabetical list of recently viewed pages that appears
> when I start typing.
And that's one of the reasons why my proposal preserves the use of
action urls and makes them and special pages one and the same.

I considered the arguments pro-action and pro-specialpages when I wrote
this up and took them all into account.