How Launchpad does it: merge proposals, on-call code review, EC2 automated testing

sumanah at wikimedia

Jul 18, 2011, 7:42 PM

How Launchpad does it: merge proposals, on-call code review, EC2 automated testing

At the request of a few folks, I've done some research on how the open
source project Launchpad does code review and deployment.

In Launchpad, all developers are also code reviewers for about a day a
week. All developers write "merge proposals" and attach them to their
branches, and their colleagues review those branches and proposals
within a day. Code reviewing is not primarily a gate to keep bugs out of
code, but a social step, to get a second set of eyes on code, and to
spread knowledge around. After code review, and automated testing on an
EC2 instance, the developer lands the branch in trunk, a developer QAs
it, and it gets deployed onto production in a matter of days or hours.

A few key differences from MediaWiki:

* No volunteer reviewers, small volunteer contributor community
* Review trainees have already seen what a good code review looks
like, perhaps need less training
* Started with backlog of less than a week's worth of commits

I've stuck a more detailed description here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sumanah/Launchpad-dev-process

in case people want to get some ideas before the code review discussion
tomorrow:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_review_management/July_2011_training

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

tfinc at wikimedia

Jul 18, 2011, 11:30 PM

Re: How Launchpad does it: merge proposals, on-call code review, EC2 automated testing [In reply to]

Thanks for the nice report Sumana. Will we be doing deep dives like
this with other open source projects?

--tomasz

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> At the request of a few folks, I've done some research on how the open
> source project Launchpad does code review and deployment.
>
> In Launchpad, all developers are also code reviewers for about a day a
> week. All developers write "merge proposals" and attach them to their
> branches, and their colleagues review those branches and proposals
> within a day. Code reviewing is not primarily a gate to keep bugs out of
> code, but a social step, to get a second set of eyes on code, and to
> spread knowledge around. After code review, and automated testing on an
> EC2 instance, the developer lands the branch in trunk, a developer QAs
> it, and it gets deployed onto production in a matter of days or hours.
>
> A few key differences from MediaWiki:
>
>     * No volunteer reviewers, small volunteer contributor community
>     * Review trainees have already seen what a good code review looks
> like, perhaps need less training
>     * Started with backlog of less than a week's worth of commits
>
> I've stuck a more detailed description here:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Sumanah/Launchpad-dev-process
>
> in case people want to get some ideas before the code review discussion
> tomorrow:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_review_management/July_2011_training
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

sumanah at wikimedia

Jul 21, 2011, 10:56 AM

Re: How Launchpad does it: merge proposals, on-call code review, EC2 automated testing [In reply to]

Tomasz, if people find it valuable, we'll definitely consider it. I'm most
interested in investigating other projects who deploy onto high-traffic
websites, and have relatively high-speed code review, merge, deploy, and
release turnaround. A few places where we could grab ideas:

* OpenStack (I believe Ryan Lane mentioned that they integrate substantial
volunteer contributions into an Agile process)
* Mozilla (they successfully ask all contributors, including volunteers, to
submit tests along with their patches)