improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter?

sumanah at wikimedia

Jul 12, 2011, 4:31 PM

improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter?

We have about 150 MediaWiki patches in Bugzilla that await review. To
make reviewers' lives easier, we could install an interactive patch
review extension called Splinter on our Bugzilla installation.

A brief but old overview:

http://blog.fishsoup.net/2009/09/23/splinter-patch-review/

If you have a bugzilla.mozilla.org account you can try out the latest
version here (random bug & patch chosen as an example):

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=splinter.html&bug=652345&attachment=528146

Brion wrote:
> Might also be worth adapting some ideas from it for CodeReview in MW
> (making cleaner annotations against bits of code would be nice)

We're going to get patches via Bugzilla from noncommitters for the
foreseeable future and this seems like a quick way to make that more
painless. If there's a good Bugzilla-integrated patch review tool
that's better than Splinter, tell me. The Splinter extension is running
on bugzilla.mozilla.org, which is at 4.0.1+. So it's maintained and
would be reasonable to install on our Bugzilla.

(This of course is all dependent on having sysadmin resources to check
out alternatives and install Splinter or whatever's deemed best.)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

brion at pobox

Jul 12, 2011, 5:10 PM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia
> wrote:

> We have about 150 MediaWiki patches in Bugzilla that await review. To
> make reviewers' lives easier, we could install an interactive patch
> review extension called Splinter on our Bugzilla installation.
>
> A brief but old overview:
>
> http://blog.fishsoup.net/2009/09/23/splinter-patch-review/
>
> If you have a bugzilla.mozilla.org account you can try out the latest
> version here (random bug & patch chosen as an example):
>

> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=splinter.html&bug=652345&attachment=528146

What I particularly like about Splinter is that it's not insanely esoteric
-- it saves regular comments that you can see in their regular place (which
means if we remove it later, we haven't lost that data!), but also lets you
see -- and make -- the comments in context.

I'd probably recommend a couple things to streamline it:
* some sort of visual feedback instead of just having to figure out that
double-clicking opens a review box
* navigation issues: it seems to default to 'overview' which.... shows
nothing. :)
* see if it's possible to make a prettier inline view so you don't have to
link out

> Brion wrote:
> > Might also be worth adapting some ideas from it for CodeReview in MW
> > (making cleaner annotations against bits of code would be nice)
>
> We're going to get patches via Bugzilla from noncommitters for the
> foreseeable future and this seems like a quick way to make that more
> painless. If there's a good Bugzilla-integrated patch review tool
> that's better than Splinter, tell me. The Splinter extension is running
> on bugzilla.mozilla.org, which is at 4.0.1+. So it's maintained and
> would be reasonable to install on our Bugzilla.
>
> (This of course is all dependent on having sysadmin resources to check
> out alternatives and install Splinter or whatever's deemed best.)

It's definitely worth trying out! Being current, maintained, and in use on
mozilla's mama bugzilla are all good signs; being a fairly clean BZ plugin
that uses the BZ API to fetch its data, it _shouldn't_ be too hard to set up
either. *mwahahahah*

-- brion

p858snake at gmail

Jul 12, 2011, 6:58 PM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

I don't think installing a fancy tool is going to fix anything fast,
you need people willing to look at the code first (which no one seems
to be doing which is why there is a backlog)...

(Also I get 520 bugs that are non resolved with both Need-Review and
Patch: <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=Patches%3A%20Open%20and%20Need%20Reviewing&sharer_id=9593>)

p858snake at gmail

Jul 12, 2011, 7:03 PM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM, K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail> wrote:
> (Also I get 520 bugs that are non resolved with both Need-Review and
> Patch: <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=Patches%3A%20Open%20and%20Need%20Reviewing&sharer_id=9593>)

Forget my comment about the numbers... that search appears to be brokenish.

sumanah at wikimedia

Jul 13, 2011, 3:10 AM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:

> It's definitely worth trying out! Being current, maintained, and in use on
> mozilla's mama bugzilla are all good signs; being a fairly clean BZ plugin
> that uses the BZ API to fetch its data, it _shouldn't_ be too hard to set
> up
> either. *mwahahahah*

As of April 2011, Splinter "accesses Bugzilla data directly so there is no
longer a need for use of the webservices API."
https://wiki.mozilla.org/BMO/40Upgrade/Alpha So that's even better.

Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

helder.wiki at gmail

Jul 21, 2011, 3:29 PM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

Hello!

From what I saw on
http://blog.fishsoup.net/2009/09/23/splinter-patch-review/
it seems very useful for people who are starting to provide patches for MW.
Having this kind of feedback seems very good.

I don't know if this is of any help but there is a similar tool
available for users of
http://code.google.com

Best Regards,
Helder

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 20:31, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> We have about 150 MediaWiki patches in Bugzilla that await review.  To
> make reviewers' lives easier, we could install an interactive patch
> review extension called Splinter on our Bugzilla installation.
>
> A brief but old overview:
>
> http://blog.fishsoup.net/2009/09/23/splinter-patch-review/
>
> If you have a bugzilla.mozilla.org account you can try out the latest
> version here (random bug & patch chosen as an example):
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=splinter.html&bug=652345&attachment=528146
>
> Brion wrote:
>> Might also be worth adapting some ideas from it for CodeReview in MW
>> (making cleaner annotations against bits of code would be nice)
>
> We're going to get patches via Bugzilla from noncommitters for the
> foreseeable future and this seems like a quick way to make that more
> painless.  If there's a good Bugzilla-integrated patch review tool
> that's better than Splinter, tell me.  The Splinter extension is running
> on bugzilla.mozilla.org, which is at 4.0.1+.  So it's maintained and
> would be reasonable to install on our Bugzilla.
>
> (This of course is all dependent on having sysadmin resources to check
> out alternatives and install Splinter or whatever's deemed best.)
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

helder.wiki at gmail

Jul 21, 2011, 3:39 PM

Re: improving bugzilla patch review: Splinter? [In reply to]

Hello!

From what I saw on