The return of the Weekend Sprint to 1.17

mhershberger at wikimedia

Mar 25, 2011, 11:44 PM

The return of the Weekend Sprint to 1.17

Last week I promised you I would return to beating the 1.17 tarball
drum. So let the beating begin.

The first batch of bugs is focused on the new installer. Chad, Raimond,
Max, and others have all been working on getting this in shape, but a
few bugs still remain. We really need to get these cleared out before
we release a tarball since this will be the first thing most people see.

[Installer] Javascript-opened sections not open on back or error
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/26937
[Installer] Install does not complete when choosing a CC license
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27170
[Installer] $*Key values sometimes not filled
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/26481
[Installer] Chrome saves config as LocalSettings.php.php
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27579
[Installer] Cannot abort or postpone slow operations during upgrades via
web interface
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27929
Installer doesn't create extension tables
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28237
Installer does not respect initial DBport declaration
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28162
Labels for DB types on page=DBConnect are too narrow
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28158

While most people do stick with MySQL, a fair number of rebels install
the other major Open Source database: PostgreSQL. We focus our own
development on MySQL, but not having support for PostgreSQL would be
pretty embarrassing. As a result, these bugs are fairly important. Greg
has likely fixed the first one, Chad has started looking at the second
one, but the third is wide open.

Postgres install fails with no schema
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28171
Error on Postgres install - wfGetDB called when it shouldn't
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28172
Postgres defaults to a unix socket - mention in install?
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28173

If layout and javascript are more your thing, we have a couple of those
left, too:

width of <gallery> always 100%
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27540
New wikilink window grows in width each time when opened in IE and
Chrome
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27566

Finally, a bonus 1.17 blocker. Tim has suggested two separate ways to
solve the problem. Should we go with the “simple” fix or the ”complex”
fix? Truth be told, at this point, we can probably only afford the
simple one.

Apostrophe in linktrail breaks bolded links
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27473

Happy Hacking!

Mark.

brion at pobox

Mar 27, 2011, 2:02 PM

Re: The return of the Weekend Sprint to 1.17 [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <
mhershberger [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> [Installer] Javascript-opened sections not open on back or error
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/26937
> [Installer] Install does not complete when choosing a CC license
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27170

These two are now fixed on trunk.

> [Installer] Chrome saves config as LocalSettings.php.php

http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27579

Can't reproduce, closed WORKSFORME (seems to be a general Chrome issue that
either does or doesn't show up depending on your system, configuration, and
phase of moon?)

> [Installer] Cannot abort or postpone slow operations during upgrades via
> web interface

http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27929

I don't think this is a new issue, isn't this the same as it's always been?
While good to fix, doesn't sound like a blocker.

> Installer doesn't create extension tables
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28237

I think someone's working on this... shouldn't be too hard.

> Installer does not respect initial DBport declaration

http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28162

PostgresSQL-specific -- this and other PG-specific issues should likely not
block 1.17.0, though it'd be nice to have working PG at some point.

> Labels for DB types on page=DBConnect are too narrow
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/28158

Can't reproduce, closed WORKSFORME.

> If layout and javascript are more your thing, we have a couple of those
> left, too:
>
> width of <gallery> always 100%
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27540

Is this really a release blocker?

> New wikilink window grows in width each time when opened in IE and
> Chrome
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27566

Do we ship WikiEditor on by default? If not, this probably shouldn't be a
blocker.

> Finally, a bonus 1.17 blocker. Tim has suggested two separate ways to
> solve the problem. Should we go with the “simple” fix or the ”complex”
> fix? Truth be told, at this point, we can probably only afford the
> simple one.
>
> Apostrophe in linktrail breaks bolded links
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/27473

The change to the linktrails sounds ready to go; anyone care to stick in a
quick parser test case?

-- brion