Re: [openZIM dev-l] [Offline-l] openZim export now part of collections extension

tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 10, 2011, 1:36 PM

On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Manuel Schneider
> <manuel.schneider [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> CCing Wikimedia CH as the main sponsor of openZIM...
>>
>> On 09.03.2011 06:50, Tomasz Finc wrote:
>>> Today we enabled openZim (http://openzim.org/Main_Page) export to the existing PediaPress collections extension on English Wikipedia and numerous others. In addition to PDF and ODF, you will now see a new export option when browsing the Download section of the Manage Book interface. You can then easily take these files and use them with the Kiwix offline reader (http://kiwix.org/index.php/Main_Page).
>
> This is really excellent. Thanks for the update. Do we track how
> much each export option is used?
>
>> It is really surprising that this all happened quietly in the background ;-)
>
> I am not surprised, but this does make my day :)

We've actually been posting about this quite actively in

http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/february-wmf-engineering-update/
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/01/update-on-offline-wikimedia-projects/
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/01/wmf-engineering-update/
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/12/december-2010-wmf-engineering-update/

and on mailing lists

https://intern.openzim.org/pipermail/dev-l/2011-January/000549.html

and we engaged with multiple community members to help us test the extension in its early form.

If there was some other form of communication that was missed then please let me know and I'll make sure to include it for further projects.

--tomasz

manuel.schneider at wikimedia

Mar 10, 2011, 10:29 PM

Re: [openZIM dev-l] [Offline-l] openZim export now part of collections extension [In reply to]

Hi Tomasz,

On 10.03.2011 22:36, Tomasz Finc wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Manuel Schneider
>> <manuel.schneider [at] wikimedia> wrote:

>>> It is really surprising that this all happened quietly in the background ;-)
>>
>> I am not surprised, but this does make my day :)
>
> We've actually been posting about this quite actively in
>
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/february-wmf-engineering-update/
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/01/update-on-offline-wikimedia-projects/
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/01/wmf-engineering-update/
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/12/december-2010-wmf-engineering-update/
>
> and on mailing lists
>
> https://intern.openzim.org/pipermail/dev-l/2011-January/000549.html
>
> and we engaged with multiple community members to help us test the extension in its early form.
>
> If there was some other form of communication that was missed then please let me know and I'll make sure to include it for further projects.

I didn't meant that I am missing a form of communication. Actually I
missed the techblog, but that's a different story.

We were well aware of the idea that WMF and Pediapress wanted to work to
make ZIM in Collection extension happen. I expected that there will be a
lot of technical questions during the implementation phase which will
show up on dev-l, and that didn't happen - what is a good sign.

So we knew that there was an idea and WMF and PediaPress wanted to work
on it and it looks like the project wasn't ready yet - and suddenly,
it's done, it's here, it works... that's amazing.

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

nemowiki at gmail

Mar 12, 2011, 12:12 PM

Re: [openZIM dev-l] [Offline-l] openZim export now part of collections extension [In reply to]

Manuel Schneider, 11/03/2011 07:29:
> So we knew that there was an idea and WMF and PediaPress wanted to work
> on it and it looks like the project wasn't ready yet - and suddenly,
> it's done, it's here, it works... that's amazing.

I agree, it's really great!

Samuel Klein, 10/03/2011 19:53:
> Do we track how
> much each export option is used?

I would love some statistics as well.

Nemo

tfinc at wikimedia

Mar 13, 2011, 10:53 PM

Re: [openZIM dev-l] [Offline-l] openZim export now part of collections extension [In reply to]

On Mar 12, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Manuel Schneider, 11/03/2011 07:29:
>> So we knew that there was an idea and WMF and PediaPress wanted to work
>> on it and it looks like the project wasn't ready yet - and suddenly,
>> it's done, it's here, it works... that's amazing.
>
> I agree, it's really great!
>
> Samuel Klein, 10/03/2011 19:53:
> > Do we track how
> > much each export option is used?

I'll ask the PediaPress folks to find out what data is available as I've been asking them same questions.

--tomasz