Recruiting students to apply for Google Summer of Code

sumanah at panix

Mar 7, 2011, 3:57 PM

Recruiting students to apply for Google Summer of Code

I'll be administering MediaWiki's participation in Google Summer of
Code this year, so I'd like to recruit bright students to consider applying.

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a program where you get paid to
hack an open source project during the summer. It's never too early to
start thinking about summer internships! There's a good explanation of
the program here:

http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/what-is-google-summer-of-code/

Community college, university, and graduate students around the
world are eligible. You don't need to be a Computer Science or IT major:

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#who

If you'd like to participate, check out the timeline. Make sure
you are available full-time from 23 May till 22 August this summer, and
have a little free time from 25 April till 23 May for ramp-up.

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

Then sign up on our wiki page and start talking with us in
#wikimedia-dev about a possible project!

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2011

Good luck,
Sumana Harihareswara
interim Wikimedia volunteer/community development coordinator

markus at semantic-mediawiki

Mar 8, 2011, 2:37 PM

Re: Recruiting students to apply for Google Summer of Code [In reply to]

Thanks, Sumana, for these helpful links.

As a related note, Semantic MediaWiki will apply for getting
*additional* slots for funding even more students in MediaWiki-related
development activities this year. Further information and project
proposals can be found at

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/GSoC_2011

Yaron and I are co-ordinating this effort for SMW.

Cheers,

Markus