Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8

 

 

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


robla at wikimedia

Jan 31, 2011, 6:45 PM

Post #1 of 19 (1760 views)
Permalink
Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8

Hi everyone,

Just repeating something I just posted to
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/planned-1-17-deployment/

The engineering team is busy working on the deployment of the 1.17 branch of
MediaWiki[1]. We plan to roll this out next week to all languages and
projects, Tuesday, February 8, with work starting at 07:00 UTC (which is
11pm on Monday, February 7 for San Francisco).

If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it doesn’t go
well, that’s because there’s something we missed, and that’s where we’d love
your help. Please help us test this release! We have a test instance of the
software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/. If
you find issues, please report them in Bugzilla:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bugzilla

There are many, many little fixes and improvements that have gone into 1.17
(see the draft release notes[2] for an exhaustive list) . There isn’t much
that’s visible to users of the site, but one under the hood improvement that
should result in some speed improvements: Resource Loader[3]. Resource
Loader optimizes the use of JavaScript in MediaWiki, speeding up delivery of
JavaScript by compressing it sometimes, and cutting down on the amount of
unused JavaScript that gets delivered to the browser in the first place.
Much of the work in this development cycle has been centered on ensuring
compatibility with the new system. Since it makes such a large shift in the
way that JavaScript is delivered to the browser, it’s also an operational
aspect we’ll be keeping a close eye on, as load shifts between servers in
our infrastructure.

Note that this isn’t a release for download, yet. On and after February 8,
the “latest” version of MediaWiki will still be 1.16 as listed on
mediawiki.org. We plan to update this to 1.17 sometime after the deployment
of the 1.17 branch, after we’ve had time to run it in production for a while
and fix the issues we’re likely to find.

So please, help us test this release, and if you find bugs, please report
them in Bugzilla. Thanks!

Rob

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.17
[2]
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/REL1_17/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES?view=co
[3] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader
[4] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


z at mzmcbride

Jan 31, 2011, 7:41 PM

Post #2 of 19 (1720 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Just repeating something I just posted to
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/planned-1-17-deployment/

Thank you for posting here. I'm not sure about others, but I rarely visit
techblog.wikimedia.org. It's great news. :-)

> The engineering team is busy working on the deployment of the 1.17 branch of
> MediaWiki[1]. We plan to roll this out next week to all languages and
> projects, Tuesday, February 8, with work starting at 07:00 UTC (which is
> 11pm on Monday, February 7 for San Francisco).

Can you explain why you're rolling out when it's the middle of the night
where Wikimedia is headquartered? I have a few different theories (site
traffic, time zones of the operations team, etc.), but a clarification here
would be good.

> If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it doesn¹t go
> well, that¹s because there¹s something we missed, and that¹s where we¹d love
> your help. Please help us test this release! We have a test instance of the
> software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/.

Why is prototype.wikimedia.org being used instead of test.wikipedia.org? I
was under the impression that the purpose of test.wikipedia.org was a
pre-deployment launch pad while prototype.wikimedia.org is used for testing
new extensions/features. Has this changed?

Thanks again for the post. I really do appreciate it.

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


bawolff+wn at gmail

Jan 31, 2011, 9:16 PM

Post #3 of 19 (1717 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Rob said
> --Hi everyone,
>
> Just repeating something I just posted to
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/planned-1-17-deployment/
>
> The engineering team is busy working on the deployment of the 1.17 branch of
> MediaWiki[1].  We plan to roll this out next week to all languages and
> projects, Tuesday, February 8, with work starting at 07:00 UTC (which is
> 11pm on Monday, February 7 for San Francisco).
>
> If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it doesn’t go
> well, that’s because there’s something we missed, and that’s where we’d love
> your help.  Please help us test this release! We have a test instance of the
> software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/.  If
> you find issues, please report them in Bugzilla:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bugzilla
>
> There are many, many little fixes and improvements that have gone into 1.17
> (see the draft release notes[2] for an exhaustive list) .  There isn’t much
> that’s visible to users of the site, but one under the hood improvement that
> should result in some speed improvements: Resource Loader[3].  Resource
> Loader optimizes the use of JavaScript in MediaWiki, speeding up delivery of
> JavaScript by compressing it sometimes, and cutting down on the amount of
> unused JavaScript that gets delivered to the browser in the first place.
> Much of the work in this development cycle has been centered on ensuring
> compatibility with the new system.  Since it makes such a large shift in the
> way that JavaScript is delivered to the browser, it’s also an operational
> aspect we’ll be keeping a close eye on, as load shifts between servers in
> our infrastructure.
>
> Note that this isn’t a release for download, yet.  On and after February 8,
> the “latest” version of MediaWiki will still be 1.16 as listed on
> mediawiki.org. We plan to update this to 1.17 sometime after the deployment
> of the 1.17 branch, after we’ve had time to run it in production for a while
> and fix the issues we’re likely to find.
>
> So please, help us test this release, and if you find bugs, please report
> them in Bugzilla.  Thanks!
>
> Rob
>
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.17
> [2]
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/REL1_17/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES?view=co
> [3] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader
> [4] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download
>
>

Is there any plan to deal with all the JS in mediawiki:Common.js that
RL is probably going to break? Admins at wikimedia sites (other then
enwikipedia)
tend not to really know what they're doing in terms of customizing JS,
thus there is a lot of really sketchy js in mediawiki:Common.js that
gets copied from site to site and messed around with until it works.
Several of the smaller wikis already have broken JS. I imagine that
many more will break with the RL, and local admins probably won't know
whats wrong/how to deal with it.

Cheers,
-bawolff

p.s. Can I get three cheers for 1.17 :D

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


robla at robla

Jan 31, 2011, 10:18 PM

Post #4 of 19 (1717 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:

> Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > Just repeating something I just posted to
> > http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/02/planned-1-17-deployment/
>
> Thank you for posting here. I'm not sure about others, but I rarely visit
> techblog.wikimedia.org. It's great news. :-)


No problem! One thing I forgot to mention (this goes for everyone) Please
spread the word! There are no doubt going to be people who are caught off
guard by this no matter where we post this, (possibly) short of
CentralNotice.



> > The engineering team is busy working on the deployment of the 1.17 branch
> of
> > MediaWiki[1]. We plan to roll this out next week to all languages and
> > projects, Tuesday, February 8, with work starting at 07:00 UTC (which is
> > 11pm on Monday, February 7 for San Francisco).
>
> Can you explain why you're rolling out when it's the middle of the night
> where Wikimedia is headquartered? I have a few different theories (site
> traffic, time zones of the operations team, etc.), but a clarification here
> would be good.


We lost the game of rock/paper/scissors. :) We decided to do this very
late U.S. west coast time so that our European and Australian contingents
would be well rested in case there are problems. Given that we have key
personnel pretty much all over the globe, there wasn't going to be a great
time for this, and this has the added advantage of being a relatively low
traffic time for us.


> > If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it doesn¹t
> go
> > well, that¹s because there¹s something we missed, and that¹s where we¹d
> love
> > your help. Please help us test this release! We have a test instance of
> the
> > software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/.
>
> Why is prototype.wikimedia.org being used instead of test.wikipedia.org? I
> was under the impression that the purpose of test.wikipedia.org was a
> pre-deployment launch pad while prototype.wikimedia.org is used for
> testing
> new extensions/features. Has this changed?
>

Yeah it has. I don't recall the exact history of how we got to this point.
I imagine that the two should become one in the future.

Thanks again for the post. I really do appreciate it.
>

No problem!

Rob
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


roan.kattouw at gmail

Feb 1, 2011, 1:14 AM

Post #5 of 19 (1713 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

2011/2/1 Rob Lanphier <robla [at] robla>:
>> Can you explain why you're rolling out when it's the middle of the night
>> where Wikimedia is headquartered? I have a few different theories (site
>> traffic, time zones of the operations team, etc.), but a clarification here
>> would be good.
>
>
> We lost the game of rock/paper/scissors.  :)  We decided to do this very
> late U.S. west coast time so that our European and Australian contingents
> would be well rested in case there are problems.  Given that we have key
> personnel pretty much all over the globe, there wasn't going to be a great
> time for this, and this has the added advantage of being a relatively low
> traffic time for us.
>
Look at http://torrus.wikimedia.org/torrus/CDN?path=%2FTotals%2F and
you'll see that, for the past two days, the time of lowest traffic was
between 06:00 and 07:00 UTC. This has been a quite reliable pattern
for quite some time now (except that it shifts by an hour in Northern
Hemisphere summer, due to DST), and we've also used this time for the
first few Vector deployments.

It'll be an annoying time for all of us. Europe-based people will have
to get up relatively early ("engineer early", in RobLa's words), it'll
be 1am and 2am respectively for our US-based operations people
(despite WMF being headquartered in SF, we currently have no ops
engineers there, although of course other SF people will be involved
and they'll also be working in the middle of the night), and Tim will
most likely be eating dinner at his desk while possibly keeping the
site up.

>> Why is prototype.wikimedia.org being used instead of test.wikipedia.org? I
>> was under the impression that the purpose of test.wikipedia.org was a
>> pre-deployment launch pad while prototype.wikimedia.org is used for
>> testing
>> new extensions/features. Has this changed?
>>
>
> Yeah it has.  I don't recall the exact history of how we got to this point.
>  I imagine that the two should become one in the future.
>
The fundamental difference between test and prototype is that test is
part of the cluster, and prototype is separated from it. It's
undesirable and impractical to run experimental code on test for this
reason, so it's only used as a quick last check for code that's going
to deployed soon (say, within the next hour). Due to the way our
deployment infrastructure works right now, it's impractical keeping
undeployed code around on test, because it can be hard or even
impossible for the next person needing to deploy a small change to the
rest of the cluster to avoid deploying the test code cluster-wide.

In the future, we'll have a virtualization cluster for testing
experimental code, which will be integrated with the cluster more
closely than prototype is (mostly in terms of configuration
synchronization, but also because it'll run on our machines rather
than on a Linode VM) while maintaining a safe level of separation.
Ryan Lane can probably talk about this in more detail. Also, there are
plans to adjust our infrastructure to support heterogeneous
deployments (different versions of the code on different wikis).

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


krinklemail at gmail

Feb 1, 2011, 7:13 AM

Post #6 of 19 (1710 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Rob Lanphier wrote:

> MZMcBride wrote:
>
>> Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>> If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it
>>> doesn¹t go
>>> well, that¹s because there¹s something we missed, and that¹s where
>>> we¹d love
>>> your help. Please help us test this release! We have a test
>>> instance of the
>>> software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/
>>> .
>>
>> Why is prototype.wikimedia.org being used instead of
>> test.wikipedia.org? I
>> was under the impression that the purpose of test.wikipedia.org was a
>> pre-deployment launch pad while prototype.wikimedia.org is used for
>> testing
>> new extensions/features. Has this changed?
>>
>
> Yeah it has. I don't recall the exact history of how we got to this
> point.
> I imagine that the two should become one in the future.
>

Another difference I'd like to point out is that prototype isn't 1
wiki, it's a group of
wikis. If I recall correctly there will be a prototype for each of the
major wikipedia
projects and special projects (eg. commons). With their main page and
site scripts
copied there. That way users can see if everything works properly,
mess with
their gadgets, check common.css/.js and <skinName>.js/.css.

--
Krinkle
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 1, 2011, 7:34 AM

Post #7 of 19 (1712 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] robla> wrote:
> We lost the game of rock/paper/scissors.  :)  We decided to do this very
> late U.S. west coast time so that our European and Australian contingents
> would be well rested in case there are problems.  Given that we have key
> personnel pretty much all over the globe, there wasn't going to be a great
> time for this, and this has the added advantage of being a relatively low
> traffic time for us.
>

Once again it falls to EST to be up at 2am. I've really got to get better
at rock/paper/scissors ;-)

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


janesh at calcey

Feb 1, 2011, 10:39 PM

Post #8 of 19 (1706 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Lanphier" <robla [at] wikimedia>
Newsgroups: gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical
To: "Wikimedia developers" <wikitech-l [at] lists>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:15 AM
Subject: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8



If all goes well, you should only notice the improvement. If it doesn’t go
well, that’s because there’s something we missed, and that’s where we’d love
your help. Please help us test this release! We have a test instance of the
software we plan to deploy available at http://prototype.wikimedia.org/. If
you find issues, please report them in Bugzilla:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bugzilla

Hi Rob
I will take look on this work and report bugs to Bugzilla.

Thanks
Janesh


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


egil at wp

Feb 3, 2011, 11:48 AM

Post #9 of 19 (1695 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Roan Kattouw (2011-02-01 10:14):
> 2011/2/1 Rob Lanphier<robla [at] robla>:
>>> Can you explain why you're rolling out when it's the middle of the night
>>> where Wikimedia is headquartered? I have a few different theories (site
>>> traffic, time zones of the operations team, etc.), but a clarification here
>>> would be good.
>>
>> We lost the game of rock/paper/scissors. :) We decided to do this very
>> late U.S. west coast time so that our European and Australian contingents
>> would be well rested in case there are problems. Given that we have key
>> personnel pretty much all over the globe, there wasn't going to be a great
>> time for this, and this has the added advantage of being a relatively low
>> traffic time for us.
>>
> Look at http://torrus.wikimedia.org/torrus/CDN?path=%2FTotals%2F and
> you'll see that, for the past two days, the time of lowest traffic was
> between 06:00 and 07:00 UTC. This has been a quite reliable pattern
> for quite some time now (except that it shifts by an hour in Northern
> Hemisphere summer, due to DST), and we've also used this time for the
> first few Vector deployments.
>
> [...]

Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
UTC for Poland. I will not be able to be there when hell will brake
loose as I will be working and I'm sure most of the Polish tech admins
will be too. Note that we was able test Vector with current scripts
before the deploment so this is a bit different. And I still remember
the ammount of complaints bouncing here and there when Vector came and
broke Wikipedia and what not... Not that they were all valid and could
have been avoided, but maybe some could.

Not that I'm complaining ;-), but prototype is... well it's empty for
now and it would be good if we could test scripts and do it as fast (and
as soon) as possible. I've already asked Leinad, but maybe someone could
import current Mediawiki namespace to prototype quicker.

For one thing - I think our script for moving the search bar to the left
side panel will be probably broken (as you make it wider now) and this
will probably have to be fixed right after deployment...

Regards,
Nux.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 3, 2011, 11:52 AM

Post #10 of 19 (1691 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Maciej Jaros <egil [at] wp> wrote:
> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
> UTC for Poland.
>

Not easily. As a general rule all software goes to all sites at the same
time.

> I will not be able to be there when hell will brake
> loose as I will be working and I'm sure most of the Polish tech admins
> will be too.
>

Well luckily none of you need to be there for this ;-) This is a normal
software deployment of the latest fixes and features. There's nothing
special or different about this one from the dozens that have happened
over the years.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


egil at wp

Feb 3, 2011, 12:02 PM

Post #11 of 19 (1693 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Chad (2011-02-03 20:52):
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Maciej Jaros<egil [at] wp> wrote:
>> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
>> UTC for Poland.
>>
> Not easily. As a general rule all software goes to all sites at the same
> time.

How hard is not easily? :-)

>> I will not be able to be there when hell will brake
>> loose as I will be working and I'm sure most of the Polish tech admins
>> will be too.
>>
> Well luckily none of you need to be there for this ;-) This is a normal
> software deployment of the latest fixes and features. There's nothing
> special or different about this one from the dozens that have happened
> over the years.

Theoretically you're right ;-). But to my knowledge RL is in this
release and this make this release almost as special as making Vector
default. And Vector was easier because we were able to test it live with
our scripts. But maybe I'm just superstitious ;-).

Cheers,
Nux.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


brion at pobox

Feb 3, 2011, 12:19 PM

Post #12 of 19 (1689 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Maciej Jaros <egil [at] wp> wrote:

> Chad (2011-02-03 20:52):
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Maciej Jaros<egil [at] wp> wrote:
> >> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
> >> UTC for Poland.
> >>
> > Not easily. As a general rule all software goes to all sites at the same
> > time.
>
> How hard is not easily? :-)
>

Hard enough the ops team would rather not try to rush it together at the
last minute, as the infrastructure tweaks needed could break more stuff than
the upgrade...

[.Fun fact: there *are* some leftover bits in the Wikimedia server
infrastructure from our big 1.4->1.5 upgrade in '05 for serving different
sites out of different versions, but it hasn't been exercised since. Some of
the pieces are gone, others are ignored by other bits running maintenance
scripts and such, and some would need to be recreated differently to deal
with today's higher-scale traffic. It might happen for the next quarterly
release, but not this time around.]


> Theoretically you're right ;-). But to my knowledge RL is in this
> release and this make this release almost as special as making Vector
> default. And Vector was easier because we were able to test it live with
> our scripts. But maybe I'm just superstitious ;-).
>

Think of the first day or two after the upgrade as your chance to
collaboratively track down anything you didn't miss! ;)

In theory, folks should be testing their scripts already on the various
prototype wikis and any personal test wikis y'all might have set up, but of
course that's never going to catch everything.

-- brion
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


Platonides at gmail

Feb 3, 2011, 12:53 PM

Post #13 of 19 (1686 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Maciej Jaros wrote:
> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
> UTC for Poland. I will not be able to be there when hell will brake
> loose as I will be working and I'm sure most of the Polish tech admins
> will be too. Note that we was able test Vector with current scripts
> before the deploment so this is a bit different. And I still remember
> the ammount of complaints bouncing here and there when Vector came and
> broke Wikipedia and what not... Not that they were all valid and could
> have been avoided, but maybe some could.
>
> Not that I'm complaining ;-), but prototype is... well it's empty for
> now and it would be good if we could test scripts and do it as fast (and
> as soon) as possible. I've already asked Leinad, but maybe someone could
> import current Mediawiki namespace to prototype quicker.
>
> For one thing - I think our script for moving the search bar to the left
> side panel will be probably broken (as you make it wider now) and this
> will probably have to be fixed right after deployment...
>
> Regards,
> Nux.

You could also test the scripts in advance. If you think a particular
script will break/need to be disabled with the switchover, you can
always warp it in a if (wgVersion=="1.16wmf4") { check.
That kind of action shouldn't be needed, though.

I don't see that plwiki have its search bar at the left sidebar, I don't
know what does that script.


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 3, 2011, 1:07 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1688 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> ... It might happen for the next quarterly
> release, but not this time around.]
>

Haha, quarterly releases :p

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


brion at pobox

Feb 3, 2011, 2:17 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1686 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> > ... It might happen for the next quarterly
> > release, but not this time around.]
> >
>
> Haha, quarterly releases :p
>

It's never too late to get back on track. :)

-- brion
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Feb 3, 2011, 3:17 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1684 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
>> > ... It might happen for the next quarterly
>> > release, but not this time around.]
>> >
>>
>> Haha, quarterly releases :p
>>
>
> It's never too late to get back on track. :)
>

Were we ever on track?

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


s.mazeland at xs4all

Feb 3, 2011, 3:24 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1684 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

I think it's accidentally happened that two MediaWiki versions were
released less than 4 months apart, but I'd really like to see us get back
to releasing three versions a years again instead of barely 2.

Siebrand

Op 04-02-11 00:17 schreef Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail>:

>On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>Haha, quarterly releases :p
>>>
>>
>> It's never too late to get back on track. :)
>>
>
>Were we ever on track?
>
>-Chad



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


egil at wp

Feb 3, 2011, 3:53 PM

Post #18 of 19 (1685 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

Platonides (2011-02-03 21:53):
> Maciej Jaros wrote:
>> Can you set a different deploy date for different projects? E.g. 18.00
>> UTC for Poland. I will not be able to be there when hell will brake
>> loose as I will be working and I'm sure most of the Polish tech admins
>> will be too. Note that we was able test Vector with current scripts
>> before the deploment so this is a bit different. And I still remember
>> the ammount of complaints bouncing here and there when Vector came and
>> broke Wikipedia and what not... Not that they were all valid and could
>> have been avoided, but maybe some could.
>>
>> Not that I'm complaining ;-), but prototype is... well it's empty for
>> now and it would be good if we could test scripts and do it as fast (and
>> as soon) as possible. I've already asked Leinad, but maybe someone could
>> import current Mediawiki namespace to prototype quicker.
>>
>> For one thing - I think our script for moving the search bar to the left
>> side panel will be probably broken (as you make it wider now) and this
>> will probably have to be fixed right after deployment...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nux.
> You could also test the scripts in advance. If you think a particular
> script will break/need to be disabled with the switchover, you can
> always warp it in a if (wgVersion=="1.16wmf4") { check.
> That kind of action shouldn't be needed, though.

Hm... Not a bad idea.

> I don't see that plwiki have its search bar at the left sidebar, I don't
> know what does that script.

You can switch with a link at the top of the page (in p-personal) on the
left. It stays that way thanks to the cookie setting and you don't have
to be logged in... Just a little something I've done for those wanting
to go back a bit to monobook but not all the way ;-). I can already see
it's broken on prototype (we now have MediaWiki imported) but that's an
easy fix with that wgVersion hack.

Cheers,
Nux.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


brion at pobox

Feb 3, 2011, 4:31 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1682 views)
Permalink
Re: Planned 1.17 deployment on February 8 [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> >> > ... It might happen for the next quarterly
> >> > release, but not this time around.]
> >> >
> >>
> >> Haha, quarterly releases :p
> >>
> >
> > It's never too late to get back on track. :)
> >
>
> Were we ever on track?
>

1.5.0: 2005-10-05
1.6.0: 2006-04-05 (first scheduled quarterly release)
1.7.0: 2006-07-06 - 3 months
1.8.0: 2006-10-10 - 3 months
1.9.0: 2007-01-10 - 3 months
1.10.0: 2007-05-09 - 4 months (a little late)
1.11.0: 2007-09-10 - 4 months (a little late)
1.12.0: 2008-03-20 - ~6 months (missed one quarter)
1.13.0: 2008-08-14 - ~5 months (missed one quarter)
1.14.0: 2009-02-22 - ~6 months (missed one quarter)
1.15.0: 2009-06-10 - 3.5 months
1.16.0: 2010-07-28 - 13.5 months (missed 3 quarters)

So roughly: 2006 & 2007 were pretty well on track, with some slight slides
due to extra beta & release candidate testing on 1.10 and 1.11. Things then
started to slide a bit with 2008 & early 2009's updates slipping to
semiannual, but we got back on quarterly track with summer 2009's 1.15
release.

We then have a big empty spot where it took over a year to get 1.16 pushed
through to stable release. I get the impression that a large part of this
delay was that there was no clear consensus on the js2 stuff; once that got
re-imagined as 1.17's ResourceLoader which got more buy-in, 1.16 was able to
get a cleaner release without the next-gen JS code, and 1.17 has been able
to concentrate more on that layer of things.

1.17 releasing soon should bring the schedule back to semi-annual, but
there's no firm impediment other than our own self-organization to pushing
1.18 out 3 months later instead of 6 or 13.

-- brion
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.