XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation

ariel at wikimedia

Nov 9, 2010, 9:44 PM

XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation

We noticed a kernel panic message and stack trace in the logs on the
server that servers XML dumps. The web server that provides access to
these files is temporarily out of commission; we hope to have it back on
line in 12 hours or less. Dumps themselves have been suspended while we
investigate. I hope to have an update on this tomorrow as well.

Ariel

ariel at wikimedia

Nov 10, 2010, 7:38 AM

Re: [Xmldatadumps-l] XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

The server refused to come up on reboot; raid errors. The backplane is
suspect. A ticket is being opened with the vendor. The host will
remain offline until we have good information about how to resolve the
problem or we get a replacement part from the vendor; we don't want to
risk losing the data. The backplane is suspect due to earlier errors
from April that seemed to be disk errors.

Future updates will be made available here:

http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Dataset1

Ariel

Στις 09-11-2010, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 21:44 -0800, ο/η Ariel T. Glenn
έγραψε:
> We noticed a kernel panic message and stack trace in the logs on the
> server that servers XML dumps. The web server that provides access to
> these files is temporarily out of commission; we hope to have it back on
> line in 12 hours or less. Dumps themselves have been suspended while we
> investigate. I hope to have an update on this tomorrow as well.
>
> Ariel

emijrp at gmail

Nov 10, 2010, 1:49 PM

Re: [Xmldatadumps-l] XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

What data is in risk?

2010/11/10 Ariel T. Glenn <ariel [at] wikimedia>

> The server refused to come up on reboot; raid errors. The backplane is
> suspect. A ticket is being opened with the vendor. The host will
> remain offline until we have good information about how to resolve the
> problem or we get a replacement part from the vendor; we don't want to
> risk losing the data. The backplane is suspect due to earlier errors
> from April that seemed to be disk errors.
>
> Future updates will be made available here:
>
> http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Dataset1
>
> Ariel
>
> Στις 09-11-2010, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 21:44 -0800, ο/η Ariel T. Glenn
> έγραψε:
> > We noticed a kernel panic message and stack trace in the logs on the
> > server that servers XML dumps. The web server that provides access to
> > these files is temporarily out of commission; we hope to have it back on
> > line in 12 hours or less. Dumps themselves have been suspended while we
> > investigate. I hope to have an update on this tomorrow as well.
> >
> > Ariel

p858snake at yahoo

Nov 10, 2010, 3:16 PM

Re: [Xmldatadumps-l] XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:
> What data is in risk?
Data from dumps.wm and download.wm
-Peachey

ariel at wikimedia

Nov 10, 2010, 3:41 PM

Re: [Xmldatadumps-l] XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

Στις 11-11-2010, ημέρα Πεμ, και ώρα 09:16 +1000, ο/η K. Peachey έγραψε:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:
> > What data is in risk?
> Data from dumps.wm and download.wm
> -Peachey

The xml archives are at issue; other data was copied off because it
takes a lot less space. We are proceeding very cautiously, as we do
want to preserve all data.

Ariel

mastigm at gmail

Nov 20, 2010, 3:47 PM

Re: XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

On 11/10/2010 06:44 AM, Ariel T. Glenn wrote:
> We noticed a kernel panic message and stack trace in the logs on the
> server that servers XML dumps. The web server that provides access to
> these files is temporarily out of commission; we hope to have it back on
> line in 12 hours or less. Dumps themselves have been suspended while we
> investigate. I hope to have an update on this tomorrow as well.
>
> Ariel

any news/outlook when the new dumps will be available?

masti

emijrp at gmail

Nov 22, 2010, 2:43 PM

Re: XML dumps stopped, possible fs/disk issues on dump server under investigation [In reply to]

You can follow the updates here
http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/history/Dataset1