Drafting the upcoming engineering overview

robla at wikimedia

Sep 22, 2010, 5:59 PM

Drafting the upcoming engineering overview

Hi everyone,

As you probably know, we're trying to get into the habit of providing
a monthly overview of all WMF-sponsored engineering activity. The
September update was posted to the techblog here:
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/wmf-engineering/

For October, we'd like to draft this in public so as to get the
information out a little sooner, and to give you all the opportunity
to help out. Here's where we're drafting this:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Engineering_Overview_October_2010

Here's a very simple way you can help. If you see something on the
list that you're interested in, but don't see the status for yet, ping
one of us, then be bold and add what you learn to the appropriate wiki
page. If you do know the status, by all means add it.

Another useful thing to do: you'll notice that many of the project
pages that the status post links to are pretty sparse. Same rules
apply there. We'd love to get help keeping this up to date.

Thanks!
Rob

z at mzmcbride

Sep 28, 2010, 8:43 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Nobody seems to have replied to this thread in about a week, which I think
indicates a problem, so I'm gonna poke a bit here.

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> As you probably know, we're trying to get into the habit of providing
> a monthly overview of all WMF-sponsored engineering activity. The
> September update was posted to the techblog here:
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/wmf-engineering/

I think these updates are fantastic. And I think there's been some very real
forward progress over the past month, in a lot of tech-related areas. (I
don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
matter for a different day.)

> For October, we'd like to draft this in public so as to get the
> information out a little sooner, and to give you all the opportunity
> to help out. Here's where we're drafting this:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Engineering_Overview_October_2010

There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
problem.

> Here's a very simple way you can help. If you see something on the
> list that you're interested in, but don't see the status for yet, ping
> one of us, then be bold and add what you learn to the appropriate wiki
> page. If you do know the status, by all means add it.
>
> Another useful thing to do: you'll notice that many of the project
> pages that the status post links to are pretty sparse. Same rules
> apply there. We'd love to get help keeping this up to date.

The current reality is that the paid developers/sysadmins have been isolated
from the community. You seem to be essentially asking people to guess or
make-up the current status of a lot of these projects, most of which aren't
even known about outside paid developers/sysadmins (the Virginia data
center, improved ops monitoring, etc.).

The operations section might be a bit of an exception (obviously a good
portion of the user base is familiar with the Pending Changes trial, for
example), but in a lot of these areas, only a small number of people know
the actual, current status. Everyone else can either guess (and then rely on
Cunningham's Law[1]) or leave the page alone (which seems to be the option
that most people are taking).

Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.

Again, I think the progress over the past month has been great, and I mean
that. People are opening up a bit, some secret (or "secret") channels are
being deprecated, code review is starting to pick up, and there are some
great, necessary status updates on this list and foundation-l regarding
projects that users care about.

However, if you want people to get involved in maintaining these blog posts,
they need to have access to the necessary resources. And even then, you'll
probably still need some sort of incentive for people to work on these. Most
companies and organizations use a paycheck, but perhaps in Wikimedia's case,
something simple like giving the primary contributor(s) the blog post byline
would push people into action.

Another idea is to work with the "Signpost"; these people are already
pushing out a tech report weekly and have been doing so for years.

My two cents.

MZMcBride

[1]
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2010/05/word-of-the-week-cu
nninghams-law.html

rlane32 at gmail

Sep 28, 2010, 9:00 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

> Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
> of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
> Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
> installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
> omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
> MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
> helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
> doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
> any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
> ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
> an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.

We use etherpad for real-time note taking, as it is better suited to
that than MediaWiki is. For most of the projects that I am a part of,
after the meeting we move the notes from etherpad to a wiki, usually
mediawiki.org. I don't believe any of us think etherpad is a good way
to keep documents for any period of time, since it is impossible to
find anything in it. I'm betting that almost everything not moved from
etherpad is never looked at again.

I think the correct solution here is to continue to move the documents
from etherpad to mediawiki.org (or some other appropriate wiki), and
try to be more vigilant about doing so.

Respectfully,

Ryan Lane

zak at fooassociates

Sep 28, 2010, 9:54 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Aloha MZMcBride, Greetings All,

Thanks for the nudge! Feedback is an essential part of a healthy
feedback loop. :)

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 20:43, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> Nobody seems to have replied to this thread in about a week, which I think
> indicates a problem, so I'm gonna poke a bit here.

The report is on my radar
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Zakgreant/Log/2010-09-23), but is
just one of many things that I should be doing. I'll take a look in
at the page in a few minutes. For my part, I'm keeping my daily logs
and weekly reports as a way to help ensure that interested folks can
follow along with what I'm working on.

>> For October, we'd like to draft this in public so as to get the
>> information out a little sooner, and to give you all the opportunity
>> to help out.  Here's where we're drafting this:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Engineering_Overview_October_2010
>
> There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
> this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
> problem.

What kind of problem(s) do you feel that there are?

> The current reality is that the paid developers/sysadmins have been isolated
> from the community. You seem to be essentially asking people to guess or
> make-up the current status of a lot of these projects, most of which aren't
> even known about outside paid developers/sysadmins (the Virginia data
> center, improved ops monitoring, etc.).

For my part, I thought that this was RobLa nudging everyone in the
know – staff included, as they should be on this list – to update.
He's also nudged me directly to do my part. I'd guess that he's done
this with others as well.

> Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
> of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
> Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
> installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
> omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
> MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
> helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
> doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
> any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
> ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
> an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.

I took notes during the last general engineering team meeting. I
thought that consensus was to publish them.

I'll nudge folks asap to get that done or at least sorted out.

Cheers!
--
Zak Greant (Wikimedia Foundation Contractor)
Plans, reports + logs at http://mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Zakgreant

Want to talk about the Mediawiki developer docs?
Catch me on irc://irc.freenode.net#wikimedia-office Wed. from
16:00-18:00 UTC & Thu. from 04:00-06:00 UTC

robla at wikimedia

Sep 28, 2010, 10:51 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> Nobody seems to have replied to this thread in about a week, which I think
> indicates a problem, so I'm gonna poke a bit here.
>
> Rob Lanphier wrote:
>> As you probably know, we're trying to get into the habit of providing
>> a monthly overview of all WMF-sponsored engineering activity. The
>> September update was posted to the techblog here:
>> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/wmf-engineering/
>
> I think these updates are fantastic. And I think there's been some very real
> forward progress over the past month, in a lot of tech-related areas.

Excellent!

> (I
> don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
> matter for a different day.)

It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
have to worry about writing for a general audience. It seems that
occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
so it's probably not something that will happen soon.

>> For October, we'd like to draft this in public so as to get the
>> information out a little sooner, and to give you all the opportunity
>> to help out. Here's where we're drafting this:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Engineering_Overview_October_2010
>
> There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
> this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
> problem.

Funny story there. Most of us EPMs here have been talking daily about
wanting to make sure we have some prose in place before our drafting
session tomorrow, the same way people talk about losing weight or
cleaning out their garage. That's the bad news. The good news is
that we have scheduled a drafting session tomorrow that we'll be
hammering out a draft.

The drafting session tomorrow isn't going to be public, but maybe
future ones will be. Baby steps.

>> Here's a very simple way you can help. If you see something on the
>> list that you're interested in, but don't see the status for yet, ping
>> one of us, then be bold and add what you learn to the appropriate wiki
>> page. If you do know the status, by all means add it.
>>
>> Another useful thing to do: you'll notice that many of the project
>> pages that the status post links to are pretty sparse. Same rules
>> apply there. We'd love to get help keeping this up to date.
>
> The current reality is that the paid developers/sysadmins have been isolated
> from the community. You seem to be essentially asking people to guess or
> make-up the current status of a lot of these projects, most of which aren't
> even known about outside paid developers/sysadmins (the Virginia data
> center, improved ops monitoring, etc.).

Right now, there's such a hard line between community projects and WMF
projects that you're right, it's going to be hard for community
members to hit the ground running on a WMF project, be it as a
developer or as someone trying to document progress. I'm hoping that
over time as the newer members of the WMF staff get better at hybrid
projects, it'll also be easier for everyone to participate in this
activity.

> The operations section might be a bit of an exception (obviously a good
> portion of the user base is familiar with the Pending Changes trial, for
> example), but in a lot of these areas, only a small number of people know
> the actual, current status. Everyone else can either guess (and then rely on
> Cunningham's Law[1]) or leave the page alone (which seems to be the option
> that most people are taking).

I put the invitation out there in hopes that something would happen,
but not counting on it. Ask not, get not. However, it was also an
implicit invitation to tell us why it won't work, so thanks for taking
the bait :)

> Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
> of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
> Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
> installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
> omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
> MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
> helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
> doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
> any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
> ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
> an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.

I think our dream tool would be EtherPad realtime capabilities built
into MediaWiki.

> Again, I think the progress over the past month has been great, and I mean
> that. People are opening up a bit, some secret (or "secret") channels are
> being deprecated, code review is starting to pick up, and there are some
> great, necessary status updates on this list and foundation-l regarding
> projects that users care about.

Thank you for this encouragement! It is a source of quite a bit of
handwringing, and we all know we've still got a lot of work to do.

> However, if you want people to get involved in maintaining these blog posts,
> they need to have access to the necessary resources. And even then, you'll
> probably still need some sort of incentive for people to work on these. Most
> companies and organizations use a paycheck, but perhaps in Wikimedia's case,
> something simple like giving the primary contributor(s) the blog post byline
> would push people into action.

I have been mulling the incentives. I definitely want to at least
acknowledge and thank that contribute somehow. I'm not sure exactly
how to translate that from edit history to a sensible byline. That
was actually the low point on the last update, since I really didn't
acknowledge Tomasz', Alolita's, and Danese's role in writing it
(though that was implicit in listing the EPM associated with each).

I'm pretty biased toward figuring out intrinsic reward rather than
trying to bolt on external reward. For example, one of the reasons
why I edit Wikipedia is because I'll look up something, *not* find the
answer, find it somewhere else, and then want to make sure I know
where to find the answer again.

I'm hoping we can figure out the various intrinic reasons why people
would want to chip in on this type of activity, and make sure we
reinforce those.

> Another idea is to work with the "Signpost"; these people are already
> pushing out a tech report weekly and have been doing so for years.

My hope is that a lot of this work is complementary to Signpost and
other sources. Part of making the drafting process public is to give
Signpost the opportunity to scoop us.

Thanks for digging this email out of the archive and responding! Look
for more from us tomorrow.

Rob

dgerard at gmail

Sep 29, 2010, 9:08 AM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

On 29 September 2010 06:51, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:

>> (I
>> don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
>> matter for a different day.)

> It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
> have to worry about writing for a general audience.  It seems that
> occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
> posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
> someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
> so it's probably not something that will happen soon.

The

dgerard at gmail

Sep 29, 2010, 9:13 AM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

On 29 September 2010 17:08, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 29 September 2010 06:51, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
>
>>> (I
>>> don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
>>> matter for a different day.)
>
>> It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
>> have to worry about writing for a general audience.  It seems that
>> occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
>> posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
>> someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
>> so it's probably not something that will happen soon.
>

> The

... main blog is Jay Walsh and the comcom's thing. The tech blog runs
independently of him.

If there's something on the tech blog that you think warrants wider
reading, pinging Jay's office is probably the first thing to do, for a
paragraph linking to the tech blog post. Anyone feeling inspired can
do this. Or, indeed, suggest a main blog post.

(Personally I think the main blog should have posts much more
frequently, but it's not mine ;-)

- d.

gerard.meijssen at gmail

Sep 29, 2010, 1:25 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Hoi,
Not only more posts are more then welcome but also more illustrations.. Get
the message out, do not be an oyster, show what you are on about !!
Thanks,
GerardM

On 29 September 2010 23:13, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 29 September 2010 17:08, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:

> >> It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
> >> have to worry about writing for a general audience. It seems that
> >> occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
> >> posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
> >> someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
> >> so it's probably not something that will happen soon.
> >

> > The
>
> ... main blog is Jay Walsh and the comcom's thing. The tech blog runs
> independently of him.
>
> If there's something on the tech blog that you think warrants wider
> reading, pinging Jay's office is probably the first thing to do, for a
> paragraph linking to the tech blog post. Anyone feeling inspired can
> do this. Or, indeed, suggest a main blog post.
>
> (Personally I think the main blog should have posts much more
> frequently, but it's not mine ;-)
>

> - d.

z at mzmcbride

Sep 29, 2010, 4:17 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
>> (I
>> don't completely understand why Wikimedia needs two blogs, but that's a
>> matter for a different day.)
>
> It probably doesn't hurt to have a place for us to nerd out and not
> have to worry about writing for a general audience. It seems that
> occasionally having some sort of "best of the techblog"-type summary
> posting on the main blog would be a good thing to do, but that means
> someone would have to decide what "best" is, and then write about it,
> so it's probably not something that will happen soon.

In order to avoid thread drift, I've replied to this here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=2139159 I hope you'll join the
conversation there. It would probably also be prudent to poke Jay about this
as well.

>> There's been no activity on that page since September 23 (a few hours after
>> this thread was started). It's nearly October 1. To me, that indicates a
>> problem.
>
> Funny story there. Most of us EPMs here have been talking daily about
> wanting to make sure we have some prose in place before our drafting
> session tomorrow, the same way people talk about losing weight or
> cleaning out their garage. That's the bad news. The good news is
> that we have scheduled a drafting session tomorrow that we'll be
> hammering out a draft.

When writing on a wiki, you would (or should, I guess) always link acronyms
and initialisms. In a mailing list post, this isn't possible, so it's really
best to write out the full word. I never remember what "EPM" stands for.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EPM or
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EPM or
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/EPM

... ought to be a redirect to a description of what an EPM is, who fills
these roles, etc.

>> Wikimedia has been having weekly (or fortnightly) status meetings about most
>> of the items you listed on MediaWiki.org, but the notes are being held on
>> Wikimedia's installation of EtherPad. Either document this EtherPad
>> installation (I'm not even sure if the URL is supposed to be public, so I'll
>> omit it here) or stop using it and post all of the notes directly on
>> MediaWiki.org. These notes in EtherPad are (by far) the most up-to-date and
>> helpful pages for tracking the status of projects that I've seen, but I
>> doubt more than a dozen people outside of Wikimedia Foundation staff have
>> any idea they exist. Though, perhaps a bit ironically, I haven't seen (m)any
>> ops-related notes on EtherPad, as far as I remember, so that still might be
>> an area in which only one or two people can give an accurate update.
>
> I think our dream tool would be EtherPad realtime capabilities built
> into MediaWiki.

I have a lot of dreams as well. I think it makes a lot more sense to work
within the current reality, though. :-) I think some of the EtherPad notes
were transferred to MediaWiki.org today. This is definitely a step in the
right direction. If there's a way to ensure that this happens regularly,
that would be awesome.

MZMcBride

z at mzmcbride

Sep 29, 2010, 4:19 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

David Gerard wrote:
> If there's something on the tech blog that you think warrants wider
reading,
> pinging Jay's office is probably the first thing to do, for a
paragraph
> linking to the tech blog post.

I've replied to this comment and others here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=2139159

I hope you'll join the conversation there.

MZMcBride

z at mzmcbride

Sep 29, 2010, 4:30 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Ryan Lane wrote:
> We use etherpad for real-time note taking, as it is better suited to
> that than MediaWiki is. For most of the projects that I am a part of,
> after the meeting we move the notes from etherpad to a wiki, usually
> mediawiki.org. I don't believe any of us think etherpad is a good way
> to keep documents for any period of time, since it is impossible to
> find anything in it. I'm betting that almost everything not moved from
> etherpad is never looked at again.
>
> I think the correct solution here is to continue to move the documents
> from etherpad to mediawiki.org (or some other appropriate wiki), and
> try to be more vigilant about doing so.

I've tried to centralize and standardize the meetings notes here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings

MZMcBride

jarry1250 at gmail

Oct 1, 2010, 9:58 AM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

On 29 September 2010 06:51, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > Another idea is to work with the "Signpost"; these people are already
> > pushing out a tech report weekly and have been doing so for years.
>
> My hope is that a lot of this work is complementary to Signpost and
> other sources. Part of making the drafting process public is to give
> Signpost the opportunity to scoop us.

Just to let you know that the lead* Technology Report writer
appreciates and fully supports your efforts to increasing transparency
and (re)build the connections between paid and amateur developers of
all shapes and sizes :)

I don't know how the demographics compare though, Techblog vs Signpost
Tech. I would think that there probably are people that read one or
the other but not both, but they can't be many. On the other hand, I
know we at the Signpost are keen to expand the readership now that we
feel securer about the format and details like that, so maybe the
difference will increase, who knows. Perhaps the optimal solution lies
in adequate summaries for the less technically minded.

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic, but do keep up the good work in this
important area. Oh, and anything you can do to make us writers' lives
easier is much appreciated; I'm certainly looking forward to seeing
Zak in action in the weeks to come, for example.

--
Jarry1250

* Okay, you got me, only. Not that the occasional help I get is
unwanted, nor do I doubt that if for some reason I couldn't do it,
someone else might be able to. Aude did a sterling job before me, for
example; probably a better one in fact.

howardjlove at msn

Dec 4, 2010, 4:33 PM

Re: Drafting the upcoming engineering overview [In reply to]

Do not block. The people of usa needs to know the truth. Plus our leaders be leading in a way that the people of the usa would like them too. Thank you.