Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia?

beesley at gmail

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> How installable and workable is this on, say, any random work intranet
> with a fairly generic MW 1.16 installation? I may give it a go at work

As far as I know, the problem right now is that Wikia's rich text
editor requires core changes, rather than simply being an extension
you can install. The code is all available at
https://svn.wikia-code.com/ but it still needs to be packaged up to
make it easier for third-party use.

> ... and the problem with the wikitext being mangled is that diffs show
> a 100% text change for any alteration

Luckily this is now a rare bug, and not the norm. Work is ongoing to
resolve the remaining causes of this. The aim is for diffs to work in
exactly the same way as they do with wikitext-only.

Angela

dcooper at wikimedia

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

Just noting that we at WMF have been talking to Wikia about taking a
look at their code to see if it can be made useful for WMF properties.
Expect to hear more about Rich Text Editing soonish.

Danese

On 5/31/10 4:00 PM, Angela wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, David Gerard<dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> How installable and workable is this on, say, any random work intranet
>> with a fairly generic MW 1.16 installation? I may give it a go at work
>>
> As far as I know, the problem right now is that Wikia's rich text
> editor requires core changes, rather than simply being an extension
> you can install. The code is all available at
> https://svn.wikia-code.com/ but it still needs to be packaged up to
> make it easier for third-party use.
>

>> ... and the problem with the wikitext being mangled is that diffs show
>> a 100% text change for any alteration
>>
> Luckily this is now a rare bug, and not the norm. Work is ongoing to
> resolve the remaining causes of this. The aim is for diffs to work in
> exactly the same way as they do with wikitext-only.
>
> Angela

questpc at rambler

Jun 1, 2010, 3:58 AM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

Hi!
Another approach is to reduce the complexity of wikitext editing by
using syntax highlighting and javascript dialogs. There is wikEd editor
which is being developed with such approach in mind:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cacycle/wikEd
I does diffs, too.
Dmitriy

dgerard at gmail

Jun 1, 2010, 6:30 AM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

On 1 June 2010 07:03, Danese Cooper <dcooper [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Just noting that we at WMF have been talking to Wikia about taking a
> look at their code to see if it can be made useful for WMF properties.
> Expect to hear more about Rich Text Editing soonish.

:-D :-D

Weeks, months?

- d.

happy-melon at live

Jun 1, 2010, 4:37 PM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

"Danese Cooper" <dcooper [at] wikimedia> wrote in message
news:4C04A2BA.3070100 [at] wikimedia
> Just noting that we at WMF have been talking to Wikia about taking a
> look at their code to see if it can be made useful for WMF properties.
> Expect to hear more about Rich Text Editing soonish.
>
> Danese

What are we expecting to hear from them? The code is open source and
available in a SVN repo; the only challenge is working out exactly how it
differs from MW trunk and why. I can see how some information (like which
revision it was branched from) could be more easily obtained from asking
rather than playing with svn merge, but are they likely to commit real
man-hours into making these features trunk-friendly?

--HM

dcooper at wikimedia

Jun 2, 2010, 8:16 AM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

Hi there Happy-melon (great handle, btw).

Its not quite that straightforward. We have met with Wikia folks and
they've acknowledged that it will be a fair bit of work to adapt it to
our uses. Wikia has offered us engineering resources to assist this
effort. As I say, we are planning to investigate further in the coming
months and of course we'll disclose our findings.

Danese

On 6/1/10 4:37 PM, Happy-melon wrote:
> "Danese Cooper"<dcooper [at] wikimedia> wrote in message
> news:4C04A2BA.3070100 [at] wikimedia
>
>> Just noting that we at WMF have been talking to Wikia about taking a
>> look at their code to see if it can be made useful for WMF properties.
>> Expect to hear more about Rich Text Editing soonish.
>>
>> Danese
>>
> What are we expecting to hear from them? The code is open source and
> available in a SVN repo; the only challenge is working out exactly how it
> differs from MW trunk and why. I can see how some information (like which
> revision it was branched from) could be more easily obtained from asking
> rather than playing with svn merge, but are they likely to commit real
> man-hours into making these features trunk-friendly?
>
> --HM

dgerard at gmail

Jun 2, 2010, 10:02 AM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

On 2 June 2010 16:16, Danese Cooper <dcooper [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Its not quite that straightforward.  We have met with Wikia folks and
> they've acknowledged that it will be a fair bit of work to adapt it to
> our uses.  Wikia has offered us engineering resources to assist this
> effort.  As I say, we are planning to investigate further in the coming
> months and of course we'll disclose our findings.

I expect for them, of course, the win would be to be closer to trunk.

(Now we just need a 1.16 ...)

- d.

happy-melon at live

Jun 2, 2010, 4:13 PM

Re: [Mediawiki-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia? [In reply to]

"David Gerard" <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote in message
news:AANLkTimhzXdzWQwyT748NEmUsit_5ckLLVwLEByef2yx [at] mail
> On 2 June 2010 16:16, Danese Cooper <dcooper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
>> Its not quite that straightforward. We have met with Wikia folks and
>> they've acknowledged that it will be a fair bit of work to adapt it to
>> our uses. Wikia has offered us engineering resources to assist this
>> effort. As I say, we are planning to investigate further in the coming
>> months and of course we'll disclose our findings.
>

> I expect for them, of course, the win would be to be closer to trunk.

True. Waiting with eager anticipation :-D

--HM