Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords

julien at pedrono

Mar 5, 2009, 2:05 AM

Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords

Bonjour,

J'ai un souci avec mon wiki:
L'installation date d'il y a quelques mois, je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de
travailler dessus depuis, et je n'ai noté nulle part les mots de passe admin
ou utilisateurs.
Je me demandais s'il existe une procédure officielle pour récupérer ces mots
de passe, ou s'il est possible de connaitre le format des mots de passe afin
de les modifier directement sans mysql.
Merci d'avance.

Julien

I'm in trouble with my wiki:
I installed mediawiki a few months ago, I since didn't have time to work on
it, and I never wrote down my admin or users passwords.
I wonder if I could find a "howto" to recover thoses passwords, or if it's
possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can change it with a
mysql query.
Thanks by advance.

Julien

newsmarkie at googlemail

Mar 5, 2009, 4:19 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

the easiest way is just to log into phpmyadmin (or similar) then go to the
mw_users table and change the password field for the relevant accounts.
alternatively if you set up emails on the wiki properly you could just get
your self a new password sent.

regards

mark

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Julien Pedrono <julien [at] pedrono> wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> J'ai un souci avec mon wiki:
> L'installation date d'il y a quelques mois, je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de
> travailler dessus depuis, et je n'ai noté nulle part les mots de passe
> admin
> ou utilisateurs.
> Je me demandais s'il existe une procédure officielle pour récupérer ces
> mots
> de passe, ou s'il est possible de connaitre le format des mots de passe
> afin
> de les modifier directement sans mysql.
> Merci d'avance.
>
> Julien
> Hi,
>
> I'm in trouble with my wiki:
> I installed mediawiki a few months ago, I since didn't have time to work on
> it, and I never wrote down my admin or users passwords.
> I wonder if I could find a "howto" to recover thoses passwords, or if it's
> possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can change it with a
> mysql query.
> Thanks by advance.
>
> Julien

pmazart at web

Mar 5, 2009, 4:34 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

Hello Julien,

Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 schrieb Julien Pedrono:
> or if it's possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can
> change it with a mysql query.

This here worked for me.

UPDATE USER set user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('YOURNEWPW')))
where user_name = "JULIEN";

Best Regards
P.M.

julien at pedrono

Mar 5, 2009, 4:37 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

Hi Mark,

I've been advised to ask for a new password by a friend of mine, but my
mediawiki don't give me that choice (can't remember if I limited that option
while installing/configuring my wiki, or if it's just a version problem).

I'm really used to change my password through mysql command line, for many
web tools where users are stored in MySQL databases, but while investigating
to do so in mw_user table, I just saw password don't have the same format as
mysql password for instance. I'm not sure that doing something like "update
mw_user set password=PASSWORD('the_password_I_choose') where
user_name="Admin";" will allow me to log in... Any advice?

Thanks for this answer anyway.
Regards,

Jules

2009/3/5 Mark (Markie) <newsmarkie [at] googlemail>

> the easiest way is just to log into phpmyadmin (or similar) then go to the
> mw_users table and change the password field for the relevant accounts.
> alternatively if you set up emails on the wiki properly you could just get
> your self a new password sent.
>
> regards
>
> mark
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Julien Pedrono <julien [at] pedrono> wrote:
>
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > J'ai un souci avec mon wiki:
> > L'installation date d'il y a quelques mois, je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de
> > travailler dessus depuis, et je n'ai noté nulle part les mots de passe
> > admin
> > ou utilisateurs.
> > Je me demandais s'il existe une procédure officielle pour récupérer ces
> > mots
> > de passe, ou s'il est possible de connaitre le format des mots de passe
> > afin
> > de les modifier directement sans mysql.
> > Merci d'avance.
> >
> > Julien
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in trouble with my wiki:
> > I installed mediawiki a few months ago, I since didn't have time to work
> on
> > it, and I never wrote down my admin or users passwords.
> > I wonder if I could find a "howto" to recover thoses passwords, or if
> it's
> > possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can change it with a
> > mysql query.
> > Thanks by advance.
> >
> > Julien

julien at pedrono

Mar 5, 2009, 4:45 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

Hello,
Can you give me your mediawiki version?
This update didn't work for me.... I think I'm really stucked...
Any other idea?
Regards.

Jules

2009/3/5 P. Mazart <pmazart [at] web>

> Hello Julien,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 schrieb Julien Pedrono:
> > or if it's possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can
> > change it with a mysql query.
>
> This here worked for me.
>
> UPDATE USER set user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('YOURNEWPW')))
> where user_name = "JULIEN";
>
> Best Regards
> P.M.

julien at pedrono

Mar 5, 2009, 4:55 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

I should have RTFM and STFW more carefully:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User_table
See 1.13 section.... The version with a change in password concatenation ;)
Thanks

Jules

2009/3/5 Julien Pedrono <julien [at] pedrono>

> Hello,
> Can you give me your mediawiki version?
> This update didn't work for me.... I think I'm really stucked...
> Any other idea?
> Regards.
>
> Jules
>
> 2009/3/5 P. Mazart <pmazart [at] web>
>
> Hello Julien,
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 schrieb Julien Pedrono:
>> > or if it's possible to know mediawiki password format so that I can
>> > change it with a mysql query.
>>
>> This here worked for me.
>>
>> UPDATE USER set user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('YOURNEWPW')))
>> where user_name = "JULIEN";
>>
>> Best Regards
>> P.M.

pmazart at web

Mar 5, 2009, 5:08 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

Hi again,

Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 schrieb Julien Pedrono:
> Can you give me your mediawiki version?

1.12.0-2lenny3 from Debian Lenny

> This update didn't work for me.... I think I'm really stucked...
> Any other idea?

Maybe just delete user_password?

But try something like
UPDATE USER set user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('YOURNEWPW')))
where user_name = "JULIEN";
again. I'm sure this worked fine.

Best Regards,
P.M.

pmazart at web

Mar 5, 2009, 5:27 AM

Re: Perte des mots de passe/Lost passwords [In reply to]

Hi Jules,

Am Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 schrieb Julien Pedrono:
> See 1.13 section.... The version with a change in password
> concatenation ;) Thanks

Nice! :-)
P.M.