Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Transparency about Wikimania costs

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

itzik at infra

Sep 21, 2012, 12:33 PM

Transparency about Wikimania costs

Hi,

Jessie started to work on a page that shown breakdown of the scholarships
given in 2012, by the WMF and the chapters - and the cost.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Scholarships/2012

I think it's great, but we need to share much more information about "how
much Wikimania cost to the movement".

Wikimania is our biggest and most expensive event\project - and the costs
spread around movement. Beside scholarships, the chapters and the WMF
spending money on their staff and boards - and this also need to
be transparent. When we know Wikimedia Israel gave 4 scholarships for
people from Israel, the WMF gave another two - this is not the full
picture. WMIL also sent paid for the travel of one board member. In some
others chapters the numbers are much bigger (staff+board).

Also, we have WMF and Chapters support to the conference itself.

I published here Wikimania 2011 costs & income:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/2011/Budget

I'm not asking everyone now to start digging for their costs in 2011, but I
think we can start do it from this year.

I posted here WMIL travel costs:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/2012/Budget/Chapters

I'll be happy if the chapters and the WMF can post their costs also
and I'm encouraging Wikimania 2012 local team also to post
their conference costs and incomes.

I think this transparency is important, and this knowledge about the total
costs to the movement is also important to others who planning Wikimania in
the future.

Itzik
WMIL

itzik at infra

Sep 21, 2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Transparency about Wikimania costs [In reply to]

(BTW, to those who got this email from wikimania-l, I think it will be
better to concentrate the discussion in Wikimedia-L if you consider reply)