Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

thomas.dalton at gmail

Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue

I've just been looking at the Accommodation page on the Wikimania 2012
wiki and apparently the Dupont Circle Hotel is located 15 minutes walk
from the venue, while the Kimptom hotels are located 45 minutes walk
from the venue and 10 minutes walk from the Dupont Circle Hotel. You
have very strange geometry in Washington DC... apparently the triangle
inequality [1] doesn't hold!

Can someone correct whichever of those numbers is wrong?

Thanks!

Tom

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_inequality

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

The Dupont Circle Hotel is indeed a 15 minute walk, but it is a very
straightforward walk on level terrain and the amenities/neighborhood
make it worthwhile. The State Plaza hotel is a much shorter walk and
it is cheaper, but not as great a value.

The Kimpton hotels are indeed far—we're not expecting a lot of people
to book there, but we included them anyway because we got such a great
deal.

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

On 20 May 2012 21:31, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
> The Dupont Circle Hotel is indeed a 15 minute walk, but it is a very
> straightforward walk on level terrain and the amenities/neighborhood
> make it worthwhile. The State Plaza hotel is a much shorter walk and
> it is cheaper, but not as great a value.
>
> The Kimpton hotels are indeed far—we're not expecting a lot of people
> to book there, but we included them anyway because we got such a great
> deal.

So is it the 10 minutes between Kimpton and Dupont that is the incorrect figure?

manuel.schneider at wikimedia

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

also, see this map I have prepared:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216964160085301336314.0004aad568cf832b0bd74&msa=0

it is also linked on several places on the Wikimania Wiki.

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

From Kimpton to Dupont Circle is 0.5 miles. From Dupont Circle to the
Marvin Center is 0.8 miles. From Kimpton to Marvin Center is 1.3
miles, which is more like 25 minutes. Where does this 45 minute figure
come from?

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

On 20 May 2012 21:45, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
> From Kimpton to Dupont Circle is 0.5 miles. From Dupont Circle to the
> Marvin Center is 0.8 miles. From Kimpton to Marvin Center is 1.3
> miles, which is more like 25 minutes. Where does this 45 minute figure
> come from?

http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation#Kimpton_Helix_.2F_Rouge

The 3rd sentence.

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 20 May 2012 21:45, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>> From Kimpton to Dupont Circle is 0.5 miles. From Dupont Circle to the
>> Marvin Center is 0.8 miles. From Kimpton to Marvin Center is 1.3
>> miles, which is more like 25 minutes. Where does this 45 minute figure
>> come from?
>
> http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation#Kimpton_Helix_.2F_Rouge
>
> The 3rd sentence.

That has now been corrected. Thank you for paying attention! :)

James

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

Thanks!

On 20 May 2012 21:56, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On 20 May 2012 21:45, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> From Kimpton to Dupont Circle is 0.5 miles. From Dupont Circle to the
>>> Marvin Center is 0.8 miles. From Kimpton to Marvin Center is 1.3
>>> miles, which is more like 25 minutes. Where does this 45 minute figure
>>> come from?
>>
>> http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation#Kimpton_Helix_.2F_Rouge
>>
>> The 3rd sentence.
>
> That has now been corrected. Thank you for paying attention! :)
>
> James

itzik at infra

Re: Locations of DC hotels relative to the venue [In reply to]

Just want to sat that Kimpton indeed have a great hotels, if people
consider to book a room there.