Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Re: Wikimania-l Digest, Vol 74, Issue 8

 

 

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


edsaperia at gmail

May 3, 2012, 4:21 AM

Post #1 of 1 (187 views)
Permalink
Re: Wikimania-l Digest, Vol 74, Issue 8

And of course, thank you also to the Jury for your hard work!

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM, <wikimania-l-request [at] lists>wrote:

> Send Wikimania-l mailing list submissions to
> wikimania-l [at] lists
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> wikimania-l-request [at] lists
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> wikimania-l-owner [at] lists
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Wikimania-l digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong
> (stephen wanjau)
> 2. Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania
> 2013: Hong Kong (Katie Chan)
> 3. Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania
> 2013: Hong Kong (Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu))
> 4. Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania
> 2013: Hong Kong (Butch Bustria)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 10:28:44 +0300
> From: stephen wanjau <stevewanjau [at] wikimedia>
> To: "Wikimania general list (open subscription)"
> <wikimania-l [at] lists>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania
> 2013: Hong Kong
> Message-ID:
> <CAMgBHWmuD7FCF-L8xufjkNjRzb-jjkZZJK-7_OmcUtxh0e5=Dg [at] mail
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Congratulations to Hong Kong.
>
> This year it will be in the West and the next in the East.
>
> //Stephen
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Mateus Nobre <mateusfnobre [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
> > Awesome!!!
> >
> > Congratulations!
> > Hope to be there.
> >
> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM, James Forrester <jdforrester [at] gmail
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
> >> that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
> >> the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
> >> excellent job.
> >>
> >> There were five official bids: Bristol, Naples and Surakarta, as well
> >> as the two finalists of Hong Kong and London[2]. The Jury and the
> >> bidding teams discussed them in three public IRC meetings in April. We
> >> determined that Hong Kong and London were the strongest contenders,
> >> and decided to focus on these two as the finalists. After further
> >> e-mail enquiries, and considering evaluation by Wikimedia Foundation
> >> staff, a final, private meeting was held to reach a final decision.
> >>
> >> The Jury was pleased by the high quality in both the final bids, and
> >> required over three hours' discussion to reach the final verdict. We
> >> considered each bid according to the criteria[3], focussing on
> >> following factors: Venue, Program, Geo-location & Logistics, Local
> >> Opportunities, Accommodations, Team & Chapter, and Budget & Finances.
> >> We found consensus that the Hong Kong bid was the stronger, especially
> >> because of their strong advance planning; solid support by the local
> >> Wikimedia Chapter, the community, local government, and a partner
> >> organisation that is experienced in planning conferences; and their
> >> good combination of venue and accommodation.
> >>
> >> The Jury has confidence that the Hong Kong bidding team will pull off
> >> a magnificent Wikimania, and we are pleased for our global community
> >> to return to Asia once again. With a motivated group of volunteers who
> >> have experience in organizing smaller Wikimedia activities, and a
> >> partner with experience in organizing larger-scale events, they have
> >> found a good mix to create a successful conference. The Jury did also
> >> identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
> >> share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
> >> use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
> >> other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
> >> year.
> >>
> >> We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
> >> very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
> >> their submissions.
> >>
> >> To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
> >> the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
> >> this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
> >> everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> >> select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
> >> Please, do join in the discussions.
> >>
> >> Yours,
> >>
> >> James Forrester
> >> Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
> >> For the Wikimania 2013 Jury
> >>
> >> [0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
> >> [1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
> >> [2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
> >> [3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
> >> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
> >> --
> >> James D. Forrester
> >> jdforrester [at] wikimedia | jdforrester [at] gmail
> >> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimania-l mailing list
> >> Wikimania-l [at] lists
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > _____________________________________________________
> > *M*ateus*N*obre
> > Free knowledge, free software, free culture, open data.
> > *Freedom, acessibility, autonomy, openess, independence, transparency.
> > That's our way.*
> > *And yours?*
> > +55 (84) 8896 - 1628
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimania-l mailing list
> > Wikimania-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120503/c881a8a0/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 08:45:19 +0100
> From: Katie Chan <ktc [at] ktchan>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l [at] lists>
> Cc: "Wikimania general list \(open subscription\)"
> <wikimania-l [at] lists>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for
> Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong
> Message-ID: <4FA2378F.9070109 [at] ktchan>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
>
> --
> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
> - Heinrich Heine
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:34:36 +0800
> From: "Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)" <jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail>
> To: "Wikimania general list (open subscription)"
> <wikimania-l [at] lists>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for
> Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong
> Message-ID:
> <CAGWBt9C3iZohRe3D8tw_7rPag8qKTLjUdyN-mrV=5MWArpCFzQ [at] mail
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Halo Everyone
>
> (Firstly, short statement on behalf the team)
>
> Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host
> the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
> our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
> meet your expectations.
>
> and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
> will enjoy the conference!
>
>
> (then a longer part of personal thoughts)
>
> I recently read a story on Facebook:
> Once upon a time, a boy behave badly in school, with very poor results
> and his teacher told his father about the situation.
>
> Then the father tell his kids, if the boy can get 0 mark in the exam
> then the boy can do whatever he wants
>
> But the boy found his way to get 0 marks, but actually he learnt all the
> correct answer in order to write down the wrong answer
> Then his father told him, actually the boy actually can finishes his school
> works with flying colors
>
> <end of story>
>
> Actually the Hong Kong bid was similar situations,
> even you ask me about the possibility having a Wikimania in Hong Kong
> I would tell you that's impossible.
>
> Even when we start to "explore the possibility to have a Wikimania in HK"
> I personally thinks that would be a process proving it is impossible
>
> but more and more supports comes, more volunteers willing to helps.
>
> Our fellow local team really fights bit and bit for support,
> that's why they are so eager to get the bid,
> because we all know that is not really easy to have such support
> especially for group with almost every organizer is so young :)
>
>
> Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
> so better end my note here, and get back to work!
>
> A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially to
> all the bidding teams!
>
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <ktc [at] ktchan> wrote:
>
> > Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
> >
> > --
> > Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
> > - Heinrich Heine
> >
> >
> > ______________________________**_________________
> > Wikimania-l mailing list
> > Wikimania-l [at] lists**org <Wikimania-l [at] lists>
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l<
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://yuyu.be/txt
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> ???? ?? ??? ?????????? ????? ?? ??????? ???????
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120503/ffc618bc/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:17:34 +0800
> From: Butch Bustria <butch [at] wikimedia>
> To: "Wikimania general list (open subscription)"
> <wikimania-l [at] lists>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for
> Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong
> Message-ID:
> <CAGk+DDHMq8mPkT2J8g89SVxp57e6AwpO-K+Etw99TMAPeN12ng [at] mail
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hello HK Team,
>
> In behalf of the Philippine Chapter (and your other Asian brothers and
> sister chapters), we congratulate you for having a successful bid.
>
> We hope we could bring many Filipinos there as we are just two hours apart
> by plane.
>
> We are also hoping the lessons from the Israel and DC hosting would help
> you bring a better and more colorful event in August 2013.
>
> P.S. I hope you can open the scholarships as early as mid-December to
> enable you to have a better time screening all applicants and announce it
> in March so that participants would have a hassle free planning of their
> iterinaries and for some -- visa applications.
>
>
> --
> Roman "Butch" Bustria Jr.
> Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
>
> ------------------------------
>
>
> The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only
> for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the
> intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or
> the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this
> message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the
> original message and attachments.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <
> jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Halo Everyone
> >
> > (Firstly, short statement on behalf the team)
> >
> > Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to
> host
> > the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
> > our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
> > meet your expectations.
> >
> > and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
> > will enjoy the conference!
> >
> >
> > (then a longer part of personal thoughts)
> >
> > I recently read a story on Facebook:
> > Once upon a time, a boy behave badly in school, with very poor results
> > and his teacher told his father about the situation.
> >
> > Then the father tell his kids, if the boy can get 0 mark in the exam
> > then the boy can do whatever he wants
> >
> > But the boy found his way to get 0 marks, but actually he learnt all the
> > correct answer in order to write down the wrong answer
> > Then his father told him, actually the boy actually can finishes his
> > school works with flying colors
> >
> > <end of story>
> >
> > Actually the Hong Kong bid was similar situations,
> > even you ask me about the possibility having a Wikimania in Hong Kong
> > I would tell you that's impossible.
> >
> > Even when we start to "explore the possibility to have a Wikimania in HK"
> > I personally thinks that would be a process proving it is impossible
> >
> > but more and more supports comes, more volunteers willing to helps.
> >
> > Our fellow local team really fights bit and bit for support,
> > that's why they are so eager to get the bid,
> > because we all know that is not really easy to have such support
> > especially for group with almost every organizer is so young :)
> >
> >
> > Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
> > so better end my note here, and get back to work!
> >
> > A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially
> to
> > all the bidding teams!
> >
> >
> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <ktc [at] ktchan> wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
> >> - Heinrich Heine
> >>
> >>
> >> ______________________________**_________________
> >> Wikimania-l mailing list
> >> Wikimania-l [at] lists**org <Wikimania-l [at] lists>
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/**mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l<
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> > http://yuyu.be/txt
> > http://about.me/jeromyu
> > UID: Jeromyu
> > (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
> >
> >
> > Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> > ???? ?? ??? ?????????? ????? ?? ??????? ???????
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimania-l mailing list
> > Wikimania-l [at] lists
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Roman "Butch" Bustria Jr.
> Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
>
> ------------------------------
>
>
> The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only
> for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the
> intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or
> the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this
> message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the
> original message and attachments.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/attachments/20120503/adb202db/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>
> End of Wikimania-l Digest, Vol 74, Issue 8
> ******************************************
>

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.