Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Accomodations page is now live!

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

messedrocker at gmail

Accomodations page is now live!

Hello!

I have posted links to the room reservation forms for our two hotel
options in DC: <http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation>.

The two hotels we have group deals with are the Dupont Circle Hotel
and the State Plaza Hotel. The Dupont Circle is an incredibly cool
hotel with everything a traveling Wikimedian could want. The State
Plaza Hotel is not as awesome, but it is three blocks away from the
venue and costs less. (It's still a good hotel, all things
considered.) With both hotels, you are allowed to have a second person
stay with you for no additional cost—that way, you can split the costs
with someone.

We also have a sizable reservation at Hostelling International, but
due to the many people receiving scholarships we cannot open that
option up to the public right now.

We will be adding more options later, including more low-cost rooms as
well as links to cheap hotels in the suburbs. I understand that cost
is an issue for many attendees, so we are working to find
accommodations that will work for everyone.

Regards,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

itzik at infra

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

Hi James,

Can you clarify something? because it doesn't make sense to me... I tried
to order via the website (hope the link will work):
https://booking.ihotelier.com/istay/istay.jsp?hotelid=4614&LanguageID=1&locale=EN&dateIn=07%2F11%2F2012&Adults=2&Children=0&dateOut=07%2F15%2F2012&Rooms=1&x=28&y=8#STD

The same room, the same dates - via your deal will costs 149$ per night,
and direct by the website cost 139$ without any discount... Maybe for now
it will be better to order directly while the pre-orders prices on this
hotel are lower?

Itzik

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

The market rate is subject to fluctuation; the deal we have is a
guaranteed fixed rate. I don't know if you can get $139 for July, but
since Wikimedia DC is not obliged to give them any money in any case,
it couldn't hurt to try.

James

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik [at] infra> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Can you clarify something? because it doesn't make sense to me... I tried to
> order via the website (hope the link will work):
> https://booking.ihotelier.com/istay/istay.jsp?hotelid=4614&LanguageID=1&locale=EN&dateIn=07%2F11%2F2012&Adults=2&Children=0&dateOut=07%2F15%2F2012&Rooms=1&x=28&y=8#STD
>
> The same room, the same dates - via your deal will costs 149$ per night, and
> direct by the website cost 139$ without any discount... Maybe for now it
> will be better to order directly while the pre-orders prices on this hotel
> are lower?
>
> Itzik
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have posted links to the room reservation forms for our two hotel
>> options in DC: <http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation>.
>>
>> The two hotels we have group deals with are the Dupont Circle Hotel
>> and the State Plaza Hotel. The Dupont Circle is an incredibly cool
>> hotel with everything a traveling Wikimedian could want. The State
>> Plaza Hotel is not as awesome, but it is three blocks away from the
>> venue and costs less. (It's still a good hotel, all things
>> considered.) With both hotels, you are allowed to have a second person
>> stay with you for no additional cost—that way, you can split the costs
>> with someone.
>>
>> We also have a sizable reservation at Hostelling International, but
>> due to the many people receiving scholarships we cannot open that
>> option up to the public right now.
>>
>> We will be adding more options later, including more low-cost rooms as
>> well as links to cheap hotels in the suburbs. I understand that cost
>> is an issue for many attendees, so we are working to find
>> accommodations that will work for everyone.
>>
>> Regards,
>> James Hare
>> Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

abbasjnr at hotmail

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

Hi,
Could you please create a page on-wiki where those who are planning to stay in the hotel could list down their names -- making it easy for people to look for a potential pair?
--Abbas.

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

I've been wanting to do this for some time. :) The trouble is coming
up with a solution that balances convenience and safety. Does anyone
have any thoughts on this?

James

josephfoxwiki at gmail

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

I would imagine they easiest way is to simply use usernames on a page on the Wikimania wiki somewhere, then work something out through email or IRC?

Joe

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

> From: josephfoxwiki [at] gmail
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:41:54 +0800
> To: wikimania-l [at] lists
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Accomodations page is now live!
>
> I would imagine they easiest way is to simply use usernames on a page on the Wikimania wiki somewhere, then work something out through email or IRC?

Details should also include whether one is looking for a pair and gender preferences.
--Abbas.

cyriel at wmnederland

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

Hello,

2012/4/27 James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail>

> We also have a sizable reservation at Hostelling International, but
> due to the many people receiving scholarships we cannot open that
> option up to the public right now.
>
> The page says "Due to overwhelming demand, we are only offering beds in
the hostel to WMF or chapter scholarship recipients."
Does this mean it's for the persons registered through the Chapter
group-registration as well?

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Cyriel

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Cyriel Brusse <cyriel [at] wmnederland> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> 2012/4/27 James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail>
>>

>> We also have a sizable reservation at Hostelling International, but
>> due to the many people receiving scholarships we cannot open that
>> option up to the public right now.
>>
> The page says "Due to overwhelming demand, we are only offering beds in the
> hostel to WMF or chapter scholarship recipients."
> Does this mean it's for the persons registered through the Chapter
> group-registration as well?

Chapters who have sought reservations for hostel beds will be getting
those beds, yes.

James

> --
> Vriendelijke groet,
> Cyriel

i at blue

Re: Accomodations page is now live! [In reply to]

What progress of reservation for university dormitories?