Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Badges

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

deryckchan at gmail

Badges

Dear organizing team,

Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I ask,
how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of
information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name. If
it looks like

First Last
username
project

it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the same
way twice; but if it looks like

First Last
[[User:Username]]@project

then it'll be useful to have both.

Also, on the drop-down menu for project there is only wikipedia, wikibooks
etc. but not a choice of the language. Will that be a useful thing to have?

Deryck

nicholasbashour at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Some users may not be affiliated with any project or chapter, and may not have a username. I suggest

First Last
Username (optional)
Affiliation

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 23.04.2012 um 09:18 schrieb Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>:

> Dear organizing team,
>
> Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I ask, how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name. If it looks like
>
> First Last
> username
> project
>
> it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the same way twice; but if it looks like
>
> First Last
> [[User:Username]]@project
>
> then it'll be useful to have both.
>
> Also, on the drop-down menu for project there is only wikipedia, wikibooks etc. but not a choice of the language. Will that be a useful thing to have?
>
> Deryck

notafishz at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Nicholas Bashour
<nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
> Some users may not be affiliated with any project or chapter, and may not have a username. I suggest
>
> First Last
> Username (optional)
> Affiliation

Actually, I am pretty sure some people do not wish to have their real
name printed on the badges alongside their nickname. I can't remember
if the question was asked (I hope it was), but the end result should
probably be something like:

> First Last (optional if Username is provided)
> Username (optional if First Last is provided)
> Affiliation (if provided)

best,

Delphine
--
@notafish

notafishz at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail> wrote:
> Dear organizing team,
>
> Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I ask,
> how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of
> information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name. If
> it looks like
>
> First Last
> username
> project
>
> it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the same
> way twice; but if it looks like

Well, my username has nothing to do with my real name :) So it won't
be redundant for all :P

> First Last
> [[User:Username]]@project

This said, I think that having: [[Username]] (ie. the brackets around
the user name) is a nice way to avoid complete redundancy when the
Username is the same as the First and Last Name.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
@notafish

deryckchan at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

I would recommend putting square brackets (and maybe "User:") around the
username whenever both real name and username are supplied. It's seldom
immediately obvious which name is the username and which name is the real
name if you don't speak the other person's mother language!

Deryck

2012/4/23 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Dear organizing team,
> >
> > Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I
> ask,
> > how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of
> > information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name.
> If
> > it looks like
> >
> > First Last
> > username
> > project
> >
> > it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the same
> > way twice; but if it looks like
>
> Well, my username has nothing to do with my real name :) So it won't
> be redundant for all :P
> >
> > First Last
> > [[User:Username]]@project
>
> This said, I think that having: [[Username]] (ie. the brackets around
> the user name) is a nice way to avoid complete redundancy when the
> Username is the same as the First and Last Name.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
>
> --
> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

richard.symonds at wikimedia

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Ladies and gentlemen,

I fear we may be in danger of falling afoul of Parkinson's Law of
Triviality here....

Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
07885 764 613

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company Limited by
Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development
House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia,
amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with
no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail> wrote:

> I would recommend putting square brackets (and maybe "User:") around the
> username whenever both real name and username are supplied. It's seldom
> immediately obvious which name is the username and which name is the real
> name if you don't speak the other person's mother language!
>
> Deryck
>

> 2012/4/23 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>
>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear organizing team,
>> >
>> > Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I
>> ask,
>> > how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of
>> > information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name.
>> If
>> > it looks like
>> >
>> > First Last
>> > username
>> > project
>> >
>> > it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the
>> same
>> > way twice; but if it looks like
>>
>> Well, my username has nothing to do with my real name :) So it won't
>> be redundant for all :P
>> >
>> > First Last
>> > [[User:Username]]@project
>>
>> This said, I think that having: [[Username]] (ie. the brackets around
>> the user name) is a nice way to avoid complete redundancy when the
>> Username is the same as the First and Last Name.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Delphine
>>
>> --
>> @notafish

>> get lost.
>> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
>> http://blog.notanendive.org
>> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Are you sure an apostrophe is required and that it is not Parkinsons Law of
Triviality?

Re: Badges [In reply to]

For security reasons, the first and last name MUST be on the badge. Only
the username and affiliation can be optional. Those who do not want their
real name associated with a username should only provide their first and
last.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

2012/4/23 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Nicholas Bashour
> <nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Some users may not be affiliated with any project or chapter, and may
> not have a username. I suggest
> >
> > First Last
> > Username (optional)
> > Affiliation
>
> Actually, I am pretty sure some people do not wish to have their real
> name printed on the badges alongside their nickname. I can't remember
> if the question was asked (I hope it was), but the end result should
> probably be something like:
>
> > First Last (optional if Username is provided)
> > Username (optional if First Last is provided)
> > Affiliation (if provided)
>
> best,
>
> Delphine
> --
> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

josephseddon at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

That seems to imply a Law of Triviality that only those systems involving
parkinsons.....

Seddon

Re: Badges [In reply to]

I think there are a number of regular Wikimania attendees who, for privacy
reasons, would not like to use their real names at Wikimania and other
offline Wikimedia activities. Enacting this new rule at this point could
turn them away, just saying...

On 23 April 2012 15:12, Nicholas Michael Bashour
<nicholasbashour [at] gmail>wrote:

> For security reasons, the first and last name MUST be on the badge. Only
> the username and affiliation can be optional. Those who do not want their
> real name associated with a username should only provide their first and
> last.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Nicholas Michael Bashour
> President
> Wikimedia District of Columbia
> Washington, DC, USA
>

> 2012/4/23 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Nicholas Bashour
>> <nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > Some users may not be affiliated with any project or chapter, and may
>> not have a username. I suggest
>> >
>> > First Last
>> > Username (optional)
>> > Affiliation
>>
>> Actually, I am pretty sure some people do not wish to have their real
>> name printed on the badges alongside their nickname. I can't remember
>> if the question was asked (I hope it was), but the end result should
>> probably be something like:
>>
>> > First Last (optional if Username is provided)
>> > Username (optional if First Last is provided)
>> > Affiliation (if provided)
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Delphine
>> --
>> @notafish

>> get lost.
>> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
>> http://blog.notanendive.org
>> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

anthere at anthere

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Security man, security....

Re: Badges [In reply to]

I agree. There is going to have to be some room for manoeuvre on that.

Seddon

Re: Badges [In reply to]

We definitely understand concerns surrounding privacy issues vs security
issues, particularly in the US, and we want to accommodate all attendees
who wish to keep their real names off their badges. We'll be looking into
security requirements, but, for now, the established status quo of
providing either your real name, user name, or both is still in place. I'm
hoping that doesn't have to change.

2012/4/23 Joseph Seddon <josephseddon [at] gmail>

> I agree. There is going to have to be some room for manoeuvre on that.
>
> Seddon
>

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> I think there are a number of regular Wikimania attendees who, for
>> privacy reasons, would not like to use their real names at Wikimania and
>> other offline Wikimedia activities. Enacting this new rule at this point
>> could turn them away, just saying...
>>

>> On 23 April 2012 15:12, Nicholas Michael Bashour <
>> nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> For security reasons, the first and last name MUST be on the badge. Only
>>> the username and affiliation can be optional. Those who do not want their
>>> real name associated with a username should only provide their first and
>>> last.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

berialima at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

That is a good idea. We should have the affiliation in the badge for sure
(for those who want it - of course).
_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

On 23 April 2012 10:23, Nicholas Bashour <nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:

> Some users may not be affiliated with any project or chapter, and may not
> have a username. I suggest
>
> First Last
> Username (optional)
> Affiliation
>
> Sincerely,
> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Am 23.04.2012 um 09:18 schrieb Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>:
>
> > Dear organizing team,
> >
> > Thanks for offering 4 check-boxes for the details on the badge! May I
> ask, how will the details be presented? I think it'll be a useful piece of
> information for many of us whose username is the same as our real name. If
> it looks like
> >
> > First Last
> > username
> > project
> >
> > it'll be a bit redundant for us to have our name written exactly the
> same way twice; but if it looks like
> >
> > First Last
> > [[User:Username]]@project
> >
> > then it'll be useful to have both.
> >
> > Also, on the drop-down menu for project there is only wikipedia,
> wikibooks etc. but not a choice of the language. Will that be a useful
> thing to have?
> >
> > Deryck

werespielchequers at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

Israel has very tight security and I'm pretty sure they didn't insist on
printing real names on badges.

Genuinely tight security does not require outing pseudonymous wikimanians.

If I go to DC it will be my first trip to the US since I received a death
threat from somebody there. That's what I call a security risk, and my
circumstances will be quite commonplace amongst Wikimanians. As an admin on
EN wiki its easy to get quite blasé about the armed crazies in the US. I'd
like to relax about that aspect and assume that security is being covered,
but this nonsense about printing real names on badges "for security
reasons" does not inspire confidence in DC's security arrangements.

WSC

On 23 April 2012 15:33, Nicholas Michael Bashour

aude.wiki at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM, WereSpielChequers <
werespielchequers [at] gmail> wrote:

> Israel has very tight security and I'm pretty sure they didn't insist on
> printing real names on badges.
>
> Genuinely tight security does not require outing pseudonymous wikimanians.
>
> If I go to DC it will be my first trip to the US since I received a death
> threat from somebody there. That's what I call a security risk, and my
> circumstances will be quite commonplace amongst Wikimanians. As an admin on
> EN wiki its easy to get quite blasé about the armed crazies in the US. I'd
> like to relax about that aspect and assume that security is being covered,
> but this nonsense about printing real names on badges "for security
> reasons" does not inspire confidence in DC's security arrangements.

Nicholas is double checking with the venue but I am almost positive that
usernames only on a badge (if you prefer that way) is not a problem.

Even places like the National Archives and Library of Congress don't ask
for an ID when you enter. (only the metal detector, but they don't care who
you are).

Now, if we are able to arrange special tours of the U.S. Capitol (entirely
optional for attendees), we'll need to provide them names for security but
it's a private matter and doesn't have any effect on what goes on your
badge.

Cheers,
Katie

> WSC
>

> On 23 April 2012 15:33, Nicholas Michael Bashour <
> nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> We definitely understand concerns surrounding privacy issues vs security
>> issues, particularly in the US, and we want to accommodate all attendees
>> who wish to keep their real names off their badges. We'll be looking into
>> security requirements, but, for now, the established status quo of
>> providing either your real name, user name, or both is still in place. I'm
>> hoping that doesn't have to change.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> President
>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>> Washington, DC, USA
>>
>> 2012/4/23 Joseph Seddon <josephseddon [at] gmail>
>>
>>> I agree. There is going to have to be some room for manoeuvre on that.
>>>
>>> Seddon

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Badges [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM, aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM, WereSpielChequers
> <werespielchequers [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Israel has very tight security and I'm pretty sure they didn't insist on
>> printing real names on badges.
>>
>> Genuinely tight security does not require outing pseudonymous wikimanians.
>>
>> If I go to DC it will be my first trip to the US since I received a death
>> threat from somebody there. That's what I call a security risk, and my
>> circumstances will be quite commonplace amongst Wikimanians. As an admin on
>> EN wiki its easy to get quite blasé about the armed crazies in the US.  I'd
>> like to relax about that aspect and assume that security is being covered,
>> but this nonsense about printing real names on badges "for security reasons"
>> does not inspire confidence in DC's security arrangements.
>

> Nicholas is double checking with the venue but I am almost positive that
> usernames only on a badge (if you prefer that way) is not a problem.
>
> Even places like the National Archives and Library of Congress don't ask for
> an ID when you enter. (only the metal detector, but they don't care who you
> are).
>
> Now, if we are able to arrange special tours of the U.S. Capitol (entirely
> optional for attendees), we'll need to provide them names for security but
> it's a private matter and doesn't have any effect on what goes on your
> badge.
>
> Cheers,
> Katie

Right. Real name is required for registration to a certain extent, but
I personally have no reason to believe anyone is required to keep
their real-world identities on display. I have asked to verify this.

Regards,
James Hare

Re: Badges [In reply to]

After double checking to make sure, rest assured that anonymity will be
protected and you will, as before, have a choice of what you want to
display on your badge.

I apologize for any confusion :)

See you in July!

Re: Badges [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
<nicholasbashour [at] gmail> wrote:
> After double checking to make sure, rest assured that anonymity will be
> protected and you will, as before, have a choice of what you want to display
> on your badge.
>
> I apologize for any confusion :)

Thanks for checking Nicholas. My recollection is that Harvard had the
same requirements (people must be identified), and the only thing we
did then was to hold ready a list where nicknames and real names were
matched to provide to Security services should the need have arisen.

Best,

Delphine
--
@notafish

itzik at infra

Re: Badges [In reply to]

BTW, there is no open to a free line? I know that last years we had, to
allow people for example to add their chapter\wmf staff, company name and
ext'. Not everyone are Wikipedian's.

Re: Badges [In reply to]

* no open to = no option for a
(i'm too tired)

Re: Badges [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik [at] infra> wrote:

> BTW, there is no open to a free line? I know that last years we had, to
> allow people for example to add their chapter\wmf staff, company name and
> ext'. Not everyone are Wikipedian's.

We have added affiliation as an option on the registration form and for the
badge. Apologies for the oversight.

If you are already registered and want to update it, you can login again
(password reset if you need it) to update your details and registration
"order":

https://secure.wikidc.org/wm/reg/user

Cheers,
Katie