Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Scholarship and early registration

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jerry.tschan.yu at gmail

Scholarship and early registration

Hi all

A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
available soon
on 23 Apr

However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship

So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
register first
Then sort of reimbursing later if required?

lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.

自吾之埃拍
Sent from my iPad

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> available soon
> on 23 Apr
>
> However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>
> So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> register first
> Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>
> lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad

ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they
don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.

-Sage
On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:

> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
> jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> > available soon
> > on 23 Apr
> >
> > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
> >
> > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> > register first
> > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
> >
> > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
> >
> > 自吾之埃拍
> > Sent from my iPad

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Yes, but what if you don't get a scholarship?
On Apr 18, 2012 3:48 PM, "James Hare" <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:

> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:

> > Hi all
> >
> > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> > available soon
> > on 23 Apr
> >
> > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
> >
> > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> > register first
> > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
> >
> > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
> >
> > 自吾之埃拍
> > Sent from my iPad

deryckchan at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

I think what James means is that if you'll go regardless of whether you get
a scholarship, please register now and you'll be reimbursed any price
difference later.

If you won't go in the case you don't get any scholarship, then obviously
you don't need to register now, and the price will not go up later for
those who are getting scholarship.

Deryck

On 18 April 2012 23:19, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:

> Yes, but what if you don't get a scholarship?
>
> On Apr 18, 2012 3:48 PM, "James Hare" <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
> jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> > > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> > > available soon
> > > on 23 Apr
> > >
> > > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
> > >
> > > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> > > register first
> > > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
> > >
> > > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
> > >
> > > 自吾之埃拍
> > > Sent from my iPad

gyenes.orsolya at wiki

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

How close? :)

*~Orsolya*
*WM2012 Program Depurty Chair
*

2012. április 18. 17:18 Sage Ross írta, <ragesoss+wikipedia [at] gmail>:

> We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they
> don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.
>
> -Sage
> On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
>> jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
>> > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
>> > available soon
>> > on 23 Apr
>> >
>> > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>> >
>> > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
>> > register first
>> > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>> >
>> > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>> >
>> > 自吾之埃拍
>> > Sent from my iPad

samat78 at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

You are so impatient, Orsi :)
Sage said:* very* close.

Samat

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 18:18, Orsolya Gyenes
<gyenes.orsolya [at] wiki>wrote:

> How close? :)
>
> *~Orsolya*
> *WM2012 Program Depurty Chair
> *
>
> 2012. április 18. 17:18 Sage Ross írta, <ragesoss+wikipedia [at] gmail>:
>
> We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they
>> don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.
>>
>> -Sage
>> On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

maarten at mdammers

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said:/very/ close.
This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Maarten

ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Yes. We're sorry it took so long. Results went out Friday. Chapter
scholarships should be finalized soon.

On the plus side, we expect to leave next year's team in a good position to
launch the process early.

-Sage

(sent from my phone)
On Apr 22, 2012 9:09 AM, "Maarten Dammers" <maarten [at] mdammers> wrote:

> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said:* very* close.
>
> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.
>
> Maarten

stevewanjau at wikimedia

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Hello,

I haven't received a feedback on my scholarship application status.

best,
[[user:stephenwanjau]]

On 4/22/12, Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia [at] gmail> wrote:
> Yes. We're sorry it took so long. Results went out Friday. Chapter
> scholarships should be finalized soon.
>
> On the plus side, we expect to leave next year's team in a good position to
> launch the process early.
>
> -Sage
>
> (sent from my phone)
> On Apr 22, 2012 9:09 AM, "Maarten Dammers" <maarten [at] mdammers> wrote:
>
>> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>>
>> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
>> Sage said:* very* close.
>>
>> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
>> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
>> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
>> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.
>>
>> Maarten

*"Better Late Than Never, But Never Late is Better"*
<http://uwanja.wordpress.com>
uwanja <https://twitter.com/#%21/uwanja>

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On 22 April 2012 14:09, Maarten Dammers <maarten [at] mdammers> wrote:
> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said: very close.
>
> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Keep in mind, last year was so ridiculously well organised that it was
always going to be a tough act to follow. Give them a chance!

samat78 at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:09, Maarten Dammers <maarten [at] mdammers> wrote:

> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said:* very* close.
>
> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.
>
> Maarten

Hi Maarten,

I know and agree.
My comment was a little bit with irony. Orsi knows me, and I hope she
understood that :)

Samat

odder.wiki at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Tomasz Kozłowski <odder.wiki [at] gmail>:

> I can't find anything ridiculous in organising a conference well; on the
> contrary, I think we all should try to reach the standards set by the
> Haifa team.

Oh, of course. Every year should try and be better than the year
before, but that doesn't mean they've failed if there is something
that ends up not being quite a good.

> I am absolutely /not/ surprised by the impatience shown on this list;
> the later people know about their accommodation options, the more it's
> going to cost them -- and we are talking about the Real Life Money(TM) here.

I don't think that's true. You can book now if you want to. You only
have to wait if you want to take advantage of the discounts that
organisers are able to negotiate, and those discounts aren't going to
be any less because they took longer to arrange.

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Tomasz Kozłowski <odder.wiki [at] gmail>:

It does seem like we're being mute about things, and I do regret that.
But as a personal rule I don't like announcing things before they're
done. You have a right to complete information and that is what you
will get—once it is available.

Here is a sneak peak. We have the "official hotel" which will run
$189/night. It is a brief walk from the venue (or you could take a $6
taxi if you insist). It gets you some of the best free hotel wireless
in DC as well as continental breakfast. We will also be making a deal
with a $149/night hotel that is VERY close to the venue, but you have
to purchase breakfast. We also got a couple of hotels thrown in at
$149/night with free breakfast and wireless, but they are farther from
the venue (but we can easily arrange for group transportation). These
prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax. I'd also like to make some
beds in the hostel available for general consumption, but between all
the people receiving scholarships, I am not sure that can happen.

If I had my druthers, we'd have cheaper hotel rates. However, the
$189/night hotel is already at a steep discount (it normally sells for
$240 in the summer) and the $149 rate is the best you will get in
Washington, DC during the summer. It is worth noting that as a
conference we are prioritizing hotels that are close to the venue
(except for the two which are farther away, but those were too good an
offer to pass up—they're NICE hotels). You are all free men and women
and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
go to Priceline no matter what.

I shouldn't be saying this, but you may be able to get a good rate on
hotels if you book in Arlington; specifically, near the Rosslyn, Court
House, or Clarendon metro stations. Those are all on the same line as
the venue (located by the Foggy Bottom–GWU station), but are urbanized
enough areas that you don't need a car. Additionally, since they are
outside the city and in Virginia, the hotel tax is significantly
cheaper. If you're of limited means, consider booking in Arlington. If
you can afford the extra cost and would like to stay close to the
venue, adjacent to our special events and to great neighborhoods in
general, and in close proximity to other Wikipedians, please consider
the hotels we'll be promoting on our website soon.

I can't wait to see you all at Wikimania!

Regards,
James Hare

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.

Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.

I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.

> You are all free men and women
> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
> go to Priceline no matter what.

I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.

If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
may have a problem...

aude.wiki at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Apr 22, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>
wrote:

> On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.
>
> Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
> quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
> money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
> that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.
>
> I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
> idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.
>
>> You are all free men and women
>> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
>> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
>> go to Priceline no matter what.
>
> I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
> vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
> is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
> of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
> from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.
>
> If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
> scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
> may have a problem...

I assume many people will want to share a room with another person,
which cuts the cost per person in half

Would a wiki page be helpful where people can indicate if they are
seeking to share a hotel room?

Katie

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On 22 April 2012 16:24, aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> I assume many people will want to share a room with another person, which
> cuts the cost per person in half

Does it? Most hotels I know charge more if there are two people
staying in a room.

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 22 April 2012 16:24, aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I assume many people will want to share a room with another person, which
>> cuts the cost per person in half
>
> Does it? Most hotels I know charge more if there are two people
> staying in a room.

The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.

Regards,
James Hare

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.
>
> Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
> quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
> money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
> that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.
>
> I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
> idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.

14.5% on top. $189 becomes $216.41 and $149 becomes $170.61.

>> You are all free men and women
>> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
>> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
>> go to Priceline no matter what.
>
> I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
> vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
> is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
> of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
> from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.
>
> If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
> scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
> may have a problem...

We are looking into expanding our hostel options, including reserving
additional beds and encouraging those currently staying at the hostel
to upgrade. I am not at all surprised by your discontent, but DC is an
expensive city.

James

mateusfnobre at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

Bad one, I was not selected this year.

Good luck to you all!

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Maarten Dammers <maarten [at] mdammers>wrote:

> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said:* very* close.
>
> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.
>
> Maarten

*M*ateus*N*obre
Free knowledge, free software, free culture, open data.
*Freedom, acessibility, autonomy, openess, independence, transparency.
That's our way.*
*And yours?*
+55 (84) 8896 - 1628

notafishz at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:

> The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.

This might sound extremely stupid, but make sure that dual occupancy
means 2 beds in a room, not a Queen Size Bed. There are surprisingly
few hotels that actually offer two separate beds in a room or their
contingent of such rooms is actually quite limited. At the prices that
were mentionned, you really want to book all the double bed rooms in
those hotels, because very few people will be able to afford a single
room.

Best,

Delphine
--
@notafish

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Apr 22, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.
>
> This might sound extremely stupid, but make sure that dual occupancy
> means 2 beds in a room, not a Queen Size Bed. There are surprisingly
> few hotels that actually offer two separate beds in a room or their
> contingent of such rooms is actually quite limited. At the prices that
> were mentionned, you really want to book all the double bed rooms in
> those hotels, because very few people will be able to afford a single
> room.

You will get your choice of two beds or one large bed. Easily done. :)

James

> Best,
>
> Delphine
> --
> @notafish

nawrich at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
> > The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.
>
> This might sound extremely stupid, but make sure that dual occupancy
> means 2 beds in a room, not a Queen Size Bed. There are surprisingly
> few hotels that actually offer two separate beds in a room or their
> contingent of such rooms is actually quite limited. At the prices that
> were mentionned, you really want to book all the double bed rooms in
> those hotels, because very few people will be able to afford a single
> room.
>
> Best,
>
> Delphine
> --

I'm not sure about this... While I haven't done a survey or discovered any
references on point, I've stayed in a number of hotels in Washington and
throughout the U.S. and almost always encounter two beds in a room as a
single occupant. Since I'm commenting anyway, I will say that $149 is a
very good rate for hotels in Washington D.C.

And while Thomas Dalton denigrates it as "a silly American habit" to quote
prices before taxes, that may be because we have so many different tax
domains with different rates. It helps to know the pre-tax amounts (similar
to how airline seats are often quoted) for comparison purposes, as the tax
component will give you no sense of the accommodations or amenities
expected etc. I suppose that may not be commonly understood by travelers
from small nations with primarily national tax policies.

~Nathan

messedrocker at gmail

Re: Scholarship and early registration [In reply to]

On Apr 22, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:

> 2012/4/22 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM, James Hare <messedrocker [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.
>
> This might sound extremely stupid, but make sure that dual occupancy
> means 2 beds in a room, not a Queen Size Bed. There are surprisingly
> few hotels that actually offer two separate beds in a room or their
> contingent of such rooms is actually quite limited. At the prices that
> were mentionned, you really want to book all the double bed rooms in
> those hotels, because very few people will be able to afford a single
> room.
>
> Best,
>
> Delphine
> --
>
> I'm not sure about this... While I haven't done a survey or discovered any references on point, I've stayed in a number of hotels in Washington and throughout the U.S. and almost always encounter two beds in a room as a single occupant. Since I'm commenting anyway, I will say that $149 is a very good rate for hotels in Washington D.C.
>
> And while Thomas Dalton denigrates it as "a silly American habit" to quote prices before taxes, that may be because we have so many different tax domains with different rates. It helps to know the pre-tax amounts (similar to how airline seats are often quoted) for comparison purposes, as the tax component will give you no sense of the accommodations or amenities expected etc. I suppose that may not be commonly understood by travelers from small nations with primarily national tax policies.

I totally get your argument, but I also quoted the prices net of tax because it's what I do as a silly American. :p

But yes. While full disclosure of prices is important, tax is common to all of these and it makes the true market value seem higher than in reality.

So between my initial email and the follow-up explaining the 14.5% tax, we have now seen both sets of numbers.

James