Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

IRC public meeting

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

deryckchan at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 9:22 AM

IRC public meeting

Dear jury, moderators and all,

The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to happen
a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.

Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and
with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin
chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the
upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?

Thanks a lot,
Deryck
(Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Mar 23, 2012, 9:28 AM

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Hi Deryck,

apologies for the lack of communication. We agreed within the jury that
this date would probably not be a good one, considering the Berlin meeting.
Hence, we decided to move the IRC meeting one week to April 7. The current
scheduled time is 14:00 UTC, but please let us know if that is an extremely
uncomfortable time for any of the bidding teams.

A confirmation of the exact time will likely follow by James somewhere the
coming days.

Best,
Lodewijk
(jury member)

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:22, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>escreveu:

> Dear jury, moderators and all,
>
> The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to
> happen a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.
>
> Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and
> with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin
> chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the
> upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Deryck
> (Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Mar 23, 2012, 9:29 AM

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

For all clarity: Only that meeting will be moved with one week, the rest of
the schedule will remain intact.

Lodewijk

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:28, Lodewijk
<lodewijk [at] effeietsanders>escreveu:

> Hi Deryck,
>
> apologies for the lack of communication. We agreed within the jury that
> this date would probably not be a good one, considering the Berlin meeting.
> Hence, we decided to move the IRC meeting one week to April 7. The current
> scheduled time is 14:00 UTC, but please let us know if that is an extremely
> uncomfortable time for any of the bidding teams.
>
> A confirmation of the exact time will likely follow by James somewhere the
> coming days.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
> (jury member)
>
> No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:22, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>escreveu:
>
>> Dear jury, moderators and all,
>>
>> The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to
>> happen a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.
>>
>> Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and
>> with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin
>> chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the
>> upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Deryck
>> (Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

bknliem at yahoo

Mar 23, 2012, 9:33 AM

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

I've updated the meta page. Will the last day of finalising the bidding page moved to 6 April?

___________________

Regards,
benny

[...]

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Mar 23, 2012, 9:34 AM

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Unless James tells you otherwise, please assume that all other deadlines
and dates remain intact.

Best regards,
Lodewijk

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:33, Benny <bknliem [at] yahoo> escreveu:

> I've updated the meta page. Will the last day of finalising the bidding
> page moved to 6 April?
>
> ___________________
>
> Regards,
> benny

deryckchan at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Would any member of the jury be kind enough to confirm the time (and
expected duration if possible) of the IRC public meeting this Saturday?
Thanks.

Deryck

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Hi Deryck,

since nobody objected to the time, I will make the time final. My apologies
for the delay.

Lodewijk

manuel.schneider at wikimedia

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Hi,

my calendar says:

Saturday, April 7th, 14:00 UTC

/Manuel

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

deryckchan at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

How long is it expected to last?

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Way ahead of you there ;-) Added it on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids : 90-120 minutes. We
have 5 bids, so I think we will most likely need that time.

Lodewijk

No dia 5 de Abril de 2012 05:47, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>escreveu:

> How long is it expected to last?
> On Apr 4, 2012 11:48 PM, "Manuel Schneider" <manuel.schneider [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> my calendar says:
>>
>> Saturday, April 7th, 14:00 UTC
>>
>> /Manuel
>>
>> Am 04.04.2012 17:43, schrieb Lodewijk:
>> > Hi Deryck,
>> >
>> > since nobody objected to the time, I will make the time final. My
>> apologies
>> > for the delay.
>> >
>> > Lodewijk
>> >
>> > No dia 4 de Abril de 2012 17:42, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail

>> --
>> Regards
>> Manuel Schneider
>>
>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
>> www.wikimedia.ch

bennylin.idwiki at hotmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Dear jury members,

Since the Q&A session will be at 9 p.m. Indonesian time, and a teammate has family she needs to attend to, could we start as the first, or at least second team in the Q&A session?

___________________

Regards,
benny

________________________________

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems no
problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are no
objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
reply to questions that come up later on.

Thanks for the effort,

Lodewijk

No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <bennylin.idwiki [at] hotmail>escreveu:

> Dear jury members,
>
> Since the Q&A session will be at 9 p.m. Indonesian time, and a teammate
> has family she needs to attend to, could we start as the first, or at least
> second team in the Q&A session?

> wikimania-l [at] lists>
> *Sent:* Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:31 PM
>
> *Subject:* Re: [Wikimania-l] IRC public meeting
>
> Way ahead of you there ;-) Added it on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids : 90-120 minutes. We
> have 5 bids, so I think we will most likely need that time.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> No dia 5 de Abril de 2012 05:47, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>escreveu:
>
> How long is it expected to last?
> On Apr 4, 2012 11:48 PM, "Manuel Schneider" <manuel.schneider [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> my calendar says:
>
> Saturday, April 7th, 14:00 UTC
>
> /Manuel
>
> Am 04.04.2012 17:43, schrieb Lodewijk:
> > Hi Deryck,
> >
> > since nobody objected to the time, I will make the time final. My
> apologies
> > for the delay.
> >
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > No dia 4 de Abril de 2012 17:42, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail
> >escreveu:
> >
> >> Would any member of the jury be kind enough to confirm the time (and
> >> expected duration if possible) of the IRC public meeting this Saturday?
> >> Thanks.
> --
> Regards
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
> www.wikimedia.ch

berialima at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

The log is already on meta.

You can find it at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012

Cheers,
_____
*
*

*[image: Inline images 1]*

*Béria Lima*

* *

* Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.*

*Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.* <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>**

*

On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:

> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if
> one of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you
> can reply to questions that come up later on.
>
> Thanks for the effort,
>
> Lodewijk
>
> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <bennylin.idwiki [at] hotmail>escreveu:
>
> Dear jury members,
>>
>> Since the Q&A session will be at 9 p.m. Indonesian time, and a teammate
>> has family she needs to attend to, could we start as the first, or at least
>> second team in the Q&A session?

>> wikimania-l [at] lists>
>> *Sent:* Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:31 PM
>>
>> *Subject:* Re: [Wikimania-l] IRC public meeting
>>
>> Way ahead of you there ;-) Added it on
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids : 90-120 minutes. We
>> have 5 bids, so I think we will most likely need that time.
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> No dia 5 de Abril de 2012 05:47, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail>escreveu:
>>
>> How long is it expected to last?
>> On Apr 4, 2012 11:48 PM, "Manuel Schneider" <
>> manuel.schneider [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> my calendar says:
>>
>> Saturday, April 7th, 14:00 UTC
>>
>> /Manuel
>>
>> Am 04.04.2012 17:43, schrieb Lodewijk:
>> > Hi Deryck,
>> >
>> > since nobody objected to the time, I will make the time final. My
>> apologies
>> > for the delay.
>> >
>> > Lodewijk
>> >
>> > No dia 4 de Abril de 2012 17:42, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] gmail

>> --
>> Regards
>> Manuel Schneider
>>
>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
>> www.wikimedia.ch

craig at halo-17

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business,
but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.
Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from
many timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable
method to judge entries? Especially with more bids coming from outside of
Europe and North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick
will be extremely inconvenient for *someone, *and it might be a better use
of the organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?

Cheers,
Craig Franklin

thogol at googlemail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Hi.
Which alternative method would that be? Actually, I think two IRC
meetings at the edge of the day, even if it's 11 PM or 7 AM local
time, aren't too hard to come along with. If absolutely nobody from a
certain bidding team can make it to both of the meetings, one can
still arrange something else for them, but that is unlikely to happen.
Note that when the Wikimania actually takes place, 11 PM or 7 AM will
not be unusual times for being needed for organizing things, anyway...
But that's my personal opinion and I might be a bit strict with such
need for flexibility of the bidding teams. :)

What one could do next time, however, is to have the two meetings at
completely different times, one more suitable for the Americas (like 8
PM UTC), one more for the opposite side of the world (Eastern Asia,
Australia etc) (like 8 AM UTC). Europe/Africa won't be a problem for
both.

Best regards,
Th.

2012/4/15 Craig Franklin <craig [at] halo-17>

> I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business,
> but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.
>  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from many
> timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method to
> judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe and
> North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be
> extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the
> organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
> desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?
>
> Cheers,
> Craig Franklin
>

> On 8 April 2012 04:12, Béria Lima <berialima [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> The log is already on meta.
>>
>> You can find it at:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> _____
>>
>> Béria Lima
>>

>>  Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.
>>

>> Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

>> On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
>>> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
>>> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
>>> of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
>>> reply to questions that come up later on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk
>>>
>>> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <bennylin.idwiki [at] hotmail>

deryckchan at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Hence the suggestion that this shall be the last time Wikimania bids happen
this way. Next year, not just the way of organising synchronous meetings,
but the entire method of choosing a location and organising team should be
changed.

IRC isn't the only thing that's become a bit too retro.

Deryck

craig at halo-17

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Perhaps we can think outside of the box, and have the bidding teams
announce the time that they'll have the presentation, and then it's up to
the jury to come along if they can make it ;-)

The way we do things probably makes sense for an organisation like the
International Olympic Committee or FIFA, where everyone is professionally
employed and able to go to one location at one time to make a glossy
presentation, but unfortunately this movement and our bid teams are not
that generously financed.

Cheers,
Craig

josephseddon at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

How would you like to see the method changed? There are certainly a lot of
options we could look at. We should remember that any process as benefits
and limitations.

Seddon

messedrocker at gmail

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

Wikimania unconference session on Wikimania bid reform, anyone? :D

James Hare

philippe at wikimedia

Re: IRC public meeting [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Craig Franklin <craig [at] halo-17> wrote:

> Perhaps we can think outside of the box, and have the bidding teams
> announce the time that they'll have the presentation, and then it's up to
> the jury to come along if they can make it ;-)

Wow, really? You want a bid scuttled because a few jurors got together and
decided to skip, say, Australia? :-)

That's a lot of power to put in someone's hands....

Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

philippe [at] wikimedia
<philippe [at] wikimedia>

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded