Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Polish Wikimania scholarships

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

polimerek at gmail

Feb 16, 2012, 3:31 PM

Polish Wikimania scholarships

Hi,

Wikimedia Polska (Poland) has just launched its own scholarships
programme for Wikimedians willing to attend Wikimania 2012 in
Washington, D.C. This year, apart from up to 10 scholarships for
Wikimedians from Poland, we are also going to grant up to 6
scholarships for Wikimedians from other countries. Only countries
which have lower national income per capita than Poland (according to
World Bank 2010 stats) are eligible. We are particularly willing to
reach out to the Wikimedians from the former USSR countries (except
Estonia, which doesn't meet the income criteria) and from the Balkans
(except Greece and Slovenia, for the same reason). The scholarship
covers travel and accommodation expenses, as well as conference fee.

More details are available here: http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2012/en

The closing date for applications is March 9.

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

sumanah at wikimedia

Feb 19, 2012, 7:49 AM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

On 02/16/2012 06:31 PM, Tomasz Ganicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wikimedia Polska (Poland) has just launched its own scholarships
> programme for Wikimedians willing to attend Wikimania 2012 in
> Washington, D.C. This year, apart from up to 10 scholarships for
> Wikimedians from Poland, we are also going to grant up to 6
> scholarships for Wikimedians from other countries. Only countries
> which have lower national income per capita than Poland (according to
> World Bank 2010 stats) are eligible. We are particularly willing to
> reach out to the Wikimedians from the former USSR countries (except
> Estonia, which doesn't meet the income criteria) and from the Balkans
> (except Greece and Slovenia, for the same reason). The scholarship
> covers travel and accommodation expenses, as well as conference fee.
>
> More details are available here: http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2012/en
>
> The closing date for applications is March 9.
>
> Regards,

Thank you, Wikimedia Poland!

I've added this to the list of Other Sponsored Scholarships for
Wikimania:
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ#Other_sponsored_scholarships

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

samat78 at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:49, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> I've added this to the list of Other Sponsored Scholarships for
> Wikimania:
>
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ#Other_sponsored_scholarships

Thank you Sumana!

If I understand well, we should merge these lists:
* https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Chapter_Scholarships(protected
page)
*
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ#Other_sponsored_scholarships

Samat

nemowiki at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 1:14 PM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

Samat, 19/02/2012 21:40:
> If I understand well, we should merge these lists:
> *
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Chapter_Scholarships
> (protected page)
> *
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ#Other_sponsored_scholarships

That page is not protected.
Besides, the trick might be that the first page contains only
scholarships reviewed/assigned by the scholarship committee; chapters
may follow their own processes (don't know if it's relevant here).

Nemo

samat78 at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 1:35 PM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:14, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki [at] gmail>wrote:

> Samat, 19/02/2012 21:40:
>
> If I understand well, we should merge these lists:
>> *
>> https://wikimania2012.**wikimedia.org/wiki/**Scholarships#Chapter_**
>> Scholarships<https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Chapter_Scholarships>
>> (protected page)
>> *
>> https://wikimania2012.**wikimedia.org/wiki/**Scholarships/FAQ#Other_**
>> sponsored_scholarships<https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships/FAQ#Other_sponsored_scholarships>
>>

> That page is not protected.

Not protected for autoconfirmed users [1], but I am a newbie on Wikimania
2012 site :)
[1]:
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=protect&page=Scholarships

> Besides, the trick might be that the first page contains only scholarships
> reviewed/assigned by the scholarship committee; chapters may follow their
> own processes (don't know if it's relevant here).

It might be, and of course chapters follow their own processes.
I just missed for example Polish Wikimania scholarships from the first
page, and I think "chapter scholarships" is a subcategory of "other
sponsored scholarships" so there should be every element of the first list
in the second one as well.

Samat

mateus.nobre at live

Feb 19, 2012, 1:40 PM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

One question,

If I perhaps win the scholarship, I would have to go to Poland (by myself) to your flight?
P.S.: I'm brazilian.

Cheers,

_____________________
MateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
30440865

[...]

odder.wiki at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 2:40 PM

Re: Polish Wikimania scholarships [In reply to]

Mateus,
thank you for your e-mail.

We would be glad if you could visit the country and meet with some
local Wikimedians :-)) but of course there will be no need for you to
visit Poland (although I am aware of point 2 of section "Scholarship's
extent and rules of refund").

In case a scholarship is given to a participant from another part of
the world, I believe that the chapter will simply refund the costs of
the travel, accommodation & conference fee for Wikimania and it will
be all up to the participant to choose his/her way of travelling to
Wikimania; see https://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2012/en#Scholarship.27s_extent_and_rules_of_refund
for more information.

Warmest regards,
--