Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Re: Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations - A full year should be enough?

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

werespielchequers at gmail

Dec 15, 2011, 5:01 AM

Re: Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations - A full year should be enough?

Hi Lodewijk,

I agree that in theory a full year should be enough, but in practice we
have some people who need a long time to get visa's sorted for travel to
certain countries. Yes we should be able to get some sort of pre early bird
process for such people, but in the absence of that it would help to bring
the whole process forward.

WSC

On 15 December 2011 11:15, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:

> Nah, lets not wind ourselves up unnecessarily. There is still plenty of
> time - as long as the winners are known around june/july. A full year
> should be enough to organize a Wikimania.
>
> Lodewijk

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Dec 15, 2011, 5:04 AM

Re: Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations - A full year should be enough? [In reply to]

Hi WSC,

I doubt that the moment that people start requesting visa for 2013 will be
any sooner depending on the decision moment. Most of the people with visa
problems also require financial support or will an invitation letter, the
exact dates etc. Experience learned that the *real* organizing only takes
off a few months after the previous Wikimania - hence my remark. Of course
when people think they need much more time I guess we can move the process
forward, but that is not what I have read and seen so far.

Lodewijk

No dia 15 de Dezembro de 2011 14:01, WereSpielChequers <
werespielchequers [at] gmail> escreveu:

> Hi Lodewijk,
>
> I agree that in theory a full year should be enough, but in practice we
> have some people who need a long time to get visa's sorted for travel to
> certain countries. Yes we should be able to get some sort of pre early bird
> process for such people, but in the absence of that it would help to bring
> the whole process forward.
>
> WSC
>
> On 15 December 2011 11:15, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>
>> Nah, lets not wind ourselves up unnecessarily. There is still plenty of
>> time - as long as the winners are known around june/july. A full year
>> should be enough to organize a Wikimania.
>>
>> Lodewijk

werespielchequers at gmail

Dec 15, 2011, 5:27 AM

Re: Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations - A full year should be enough? [In reply to]

Hi Lodewijk,

Perhaps what we need then is to move certain things forward. An invitation
letter and precise dates for I suspect a small number of people in
countries which will have visa difficulties should not be too onerous to
put into the first month of a 15 month process.

Neither I would hope would it be impossible to consider their grant
applications at an early stage.

WSC

On 15 December 2011 13:04, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:

> Hi WSC,
>
> I doubt that the moment that people start requesting visa for 2013 will be
> any sooner depending on the decision moment. Most of the people with visa
> problems also require financial support or will an invitation letter, the
> exact dates etc. Experience learned that the *real* organizing only takes
> off a few months after the previous Wikimania - hence my remark. Of course
> when people think they need much more time I guess we can move the process
> forward, but that is not what I have read and seen so far.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> No dia 15 de Dezembro de 2011 14:01, WereSpielChequers <
> werespielchequers [at] gmail> escreveu:
>
> Hi Lodewijk,
>>
>> I agree that in theory a full year should be enough, but in practice we
>> have some people who need a long time to get visa's sorted for travel to
>> certain countries. Yes we should be able to get some sort of pre early bird
>> process for such people, but in the absence of that it would help to bring
>> the whole process forward.
>>
>> WSC
>>
>> On 15 December 2011 11:15, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>>
>>> Nah, lets not wind ourselves up unnecessarily. There is still plenty of
>>> time - as long as the winners are known around june/july. A full year
>>> should be enough to organize a Wikimania.
>>>
>>> Lodewijk

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Dec 15, 2011, 5:29 AM

Re: Wikimania 2013 - Request for Bids and Jury nominations - A full year should be enough? [In reply to]

Sure, that should and possibly could be moved forward. But I doubt that
they would take your letter very seriously if you have no location &
definite dates yet, and you cant allocate grants before you fixed the
budget. All things that cannot happen too long in advance :)

And so far, the longest application time I have heard is ~6-9 months, which
is still easily within a 12 month process if you plan well :) But this is
only for some people anyway.

Lodewijk

No dia 15 de Dezembro de 2011 14:27, WereSpielChequers <