Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Sherut Sharing

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jerry.tschan.yu at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:01 AM

Sherut Sharing

Halo all

as experience from previous Wikimanias

some of us would like to share a taxi at the airport for saving money

as I know in Israel, there is Sherut

So I just open a thread to see if get some people to share a sherut in the
Airport

(As I am not sure everyone is comfortable to announce itinerary
so if you're also arrived in late night on 2 Aug
plz mail me off list)
--
Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
http://about.me/jeromyu/bio

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
DEVS AVTEM REX NOSTER ANTE SAECVLVM OPERATVS EST SALVTES IN MEDIO TERRAE TV
CONFIRMASTI IN VIRTVTE TVA MARE CONTRIBVLASTI CAPITA DRACONVM IN AQVIS

amir.aharoni at mail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:17 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Just to clarify things: Sharing a Sherut taxi means that you share the
ride, but not the price. Each passenger pays 80 sheqels.

2011/7/30 Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail>:
> Halo all
> as experience from previous Wikimanias
> some of us would like to share a taxi at the airport for saving money
> as I know in Israel, there is Sherut
> So I just open a thread to see if get some people to share a sherut in the
> Airport
> (As I am not sure everyone is comfortable to announce itinerary
> so if you're also arrived in late night on 2 Aug
> plz mail me off list)
> --
> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://about.me/jeromyu/bio
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> DEVS AVTEM REX NOSTER ANTE SAECVLVM OPERATVS EST SALVTES IN MEDIO TERRAE TV
> CONFIRMASTI IN VIRTVTE TVA MARE CONTRIBVLASTI CAPITA DRACONVM IN AQVIS

tinucherian at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:23 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Hi Jeromy,
You may find some people who arrive at the same time here
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Attendees/Travel_Coordination

-Tinu Cherian

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <
jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:

> Halo all
>
> as experience from previous Wikimanias
>
> some of us would like to share a taxi at the airport for saving money
>
> as I know in Israel, there is Sherut
>
> So I just open a thread to see if get some people to share a sherut in the
> Airport
>
> (As I am not sure everyone is comfortable to announce itinerary
> so if you're also arrived in late night on 2 Aug
> plz mail me off list)
> --
> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://about.me/jeromyu/bio
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> DEVS AVTEM REX NOSTER ANTE SAECVLVM OPERATVS EST SALVTES IN MEDIO TERRAE TV
> CONFIRMASTI IN VIRTVTE TVA MARE CONTRIBVLASTI CAPITA DRACONVM IN AQVIS

millosh at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:26 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:17, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:
> Just to clarify things: Sharing a Sherut taxi means that you share the
> ride, but not the price. Each passenger pays 80 sheqels.

I was preparing myself today for the trip. The only sense for sharing
taxi is to share taxi from the Haifa train station to dorm/hotel.
Otherwise, according to the prices, shared taxi (something like this
[1]; actually, a van) is the cheapest variant for traveling from the
airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).

[1] http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reding_138.jpg

millosh at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:34 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:26, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
> slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).

"otherwise" means train to Haifa, then taxi to hotel/dorm.

jerry.tschan.yu at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 1:34 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

@cherian
In seems I started this thread stupidly here XD
as it seems my intelligent travel buddy
already put my name on that very wiki page

自吾之埃拍
Sent from my iPad

On 30 Jul, 2011, at 16:27, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:17, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:
>> Just to clarify things: Sharing a Sherut taxi means that you share the
>> ride, but not the price. Each passenger pays 80 sheqels.
>
> I was preparing myself today for the trip. The only sense for sharing
> taxi is to share taxi from the Haifa train station to dorm/hotel.
> Otherwise, according to the prices, shared taxi (something like this
> [1]; actually, a van) is the cheapest variant for traveling from the
> airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
> slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).

And as Deryck and I arrived in the airport at very late hour
Seems sherut is a better option for us?

> [1] http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reding_138.jpg

polimerek at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 2:18 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

2011/7/30 Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail>:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:26, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
>> airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
>> slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).
>
> "otherwise" means train to Haifa, then taxi to hotel/dorm.

But when you take public transport from Haifa train station it is much cheaper.

It is 38.5 NIS for train + 6 NIS for metro in Haifa...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

millosh at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 2:21 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:18, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek [at] gmail> wrote:
> 2011/7/30 Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail>:
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:26, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
>>> slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).
>>
>> "otherwise" means train to Haifa, then taxi to hotel/dorm.
>>

> But when you take public transport from Haifa train station it is much cheaper.
>
> It is 38.5 NIS for train + 6 NIS for metro in Haifa...

Good point!

aphaia at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 7:52 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Really good point!

Let me make it sure, it means one can reach:
- Haifa Central by train (38.5 NIS if you start from TLV?)
- then Paris Sq. by walk
- then Gan Ha Em by Karmelit (Metro) 6.2 NIS*
- then Dorms/Haifa Univ. by bus No. 37 (and more other route?) 6.2 NIS

Right?

* Not sure if it's correct, my guidebook says so anyway.

Cheers,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:18, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> "otherwise" means train to Haifa, then taxi to hotel/dorm.
>>>

>> But when you take public transport from Haifa train station it is much cheaper.
>>
>> It is 38.5 NIS for train + 6 NIS for metro in Haifa...
>
> Good point!

KIZU Naoko / $BLZDE>0;R(B
member of Wikimedians in Kansai / $B4X@>%&%#%-%a%G%#%"%f!<%62q(B http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

harel.cain at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 7:58 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

There are better ways to do it, please see the information on
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/In_Haifa_-_getting_to_the_Venue

there is no reason to try to reinvent the routes all over again.

As we wrote in the automated mail, unless you wish to go directly to the
party on Wednesday evening, the best train station to disembark is Hof
HaCarmel (I don't know what Haifa Central is - as there are 4 different
stations in Haifa) and taking a bus or a taxi from there, without the
Carmelit.

Local bus ticket costs NIS 6.40 nowadays (USD 1.90).

Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

2011/7/30 KIZU Naoko <aphaia [at] gmail>

> Really good point!
>
> Let me make it sure, it means one can reach:
> - Haifa Central by train (38.5 NIS if you start from TLV?)
> - then Paris Sq. by walk
> - then Gan Ha Em by Karmelit (Metro) 6.2 NIS*
> - then Dorms/Haifa Univ. by bus No. 37 (and more other route?) 6.2 NIS
>
> Right?
>
> * Not sure if it's correct, my guidebook says so anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:18, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek [at] gmail>
> wrote:

> >> But when you take public transport from Haifa train station it is much
> cheaper.
> >>
> >> It is 38.5 NIS for train + 6 NIS for metro in Haifa...
> >
> > Good point!

> KIZU Naoko / $BLZDE>0;R(B
> member of Wikimedians in Kansai / $B4X@>%&%#%-%a%G%#%"%f!<%62q(B
> http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

amir.aharoni at mail

Jul 30, 2011, 8:24 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Haifa Central (a.k.a Haifa Merkaz) is near the Tiltan college, which
is the venue of the Wednesday evening party.

It is the third station in Haifa, after Hof HaCarmel and Bat-Galim.

Go to Haifa Central/Merkaz in these two cases:

1. You arrive to Haifa on Wednesday between 19:00 until 22:00. (The
ride takes slightly more than an hour.) In this case you shouldn't
take any taxi from the airport.

2. You stay in Nof or Dan Panorama, arrive to Haifa before 21:30 and
you're are ready to walk a little from the train station to the
Carmelit subway station. Carmelit works until 22:00.

2011/7/30 Harel Cain <harel.cain [at] gmail>:
> There are better ways to do it, please see the information on
> http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/In_Haifa_-_getting_to_the_Venue
>
> there is no reason to try to reinvent the routes all over again.
>
> As we wrote in the automated mail, unless you wish to go directly to the
> party on Wednesday evening, the best train station to disembark is Hof
> HaCarmel (I don't know what Haifa Central is - as there are 4 different
> stations in Haifa) and taking a bus or a taxi from there, without the
> Carmelit.
>
> Local bus ticket costs NIS 6.40 nowadays (USD 1.90).
>

> Harel Cain
> Wikimania 2011 local team
>
> 2011/7/30 KIZU Naoko <aphaia [at] gmail>
>>
>> Really good point!
>>
>> Let me make it sure, it means one can reach:
>> - Haifa Central by train (38.5 NIS if you start from TLV?)
>> - then Paris Sq. by walk
>> - then Gan Ha Em by Karmelit (Metro) 6.2 NIS*
>> - then Dorms/Haifa Univ. by bus No. 37 (and more other route?) 6.2 NIS
>>
>> Right?
>>
>> * Not sure if it's correct, my guidebook says so anyway.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

>> > Good point!

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
>> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会
>> http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

deryckchan at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 10:03 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

I guess that means in my case (flight arriving TLV 23:10) sherut is the only
sensible option?

Jul 30, 2011, 10:06 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Please consult the train schedule. Trains from the airport go all night long
(though of course at reduced frequency).
You can always take a train + taxi, though I think Sherut will be easier for
you - as I already wrote to you a long while ago.

Harel

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Jul 30, 2011, 10:11 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Trains:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx
From: Ben Gurion Airport
To: Haifa etc.

it runs through the night although not frequent.

Lodewijk

Jul 30, 2011, 10:33 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

Yes, sherut is the easiest option for you.

You can also take a bus from Hof Hacarmel station to the hotel, but
taking a sherut from the airport will be easier.

saintonge at telus

Jul 30, 2011, 2:39 PM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

On 07/30/11 7:58 AM, Harel Cain wrote:
> There are better ways to do it, please see the information on
> http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/In_Haifa_-_getting_to_the_Venue
>
> there is no reason to try to reinvent the routes all over again.

Your patience in dealing with these many details is commendable. Some
years ago I had a conversation (in Budapest) with a person who was
moving back to Canada after having lived some number of years in Israel.
He remarked about a particular Israeli passion for fully discussing the
most minute details of a project. Wikimedians share this passion, which
may help to explain the success of the Hebrew Wikipedia. The
reinventions are consistent with the circumstances. :-) Keep up the good
work,

Ray

tinucherian at gmail

Jul 30, 2011, 11:21 PM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

:) See you all there.. I am arriving on 2nd Aug.

I think Sherut to Dorm is cheaper and convenient than Train to Haifa+ Taxi
from station to Dorm/Accom

- Tinu Cherian

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:

> @cherian
> In seems I started this thread stupidly here XD
> as it seems my intelligent travel buddy
> already put my name on that very wiki page
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad
>

> On 30 Jul, 2011, at 16:27, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:17, Amir E. Aharoni
> > <amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:
> >> Just to clarify things: Sharing a Sherut taxi means that you share the
> >> ride, but not the price. Each passenger pays 80 sheqels.
> >
> > I was preparing myself today for the trip. The only sense for sharing
> > taxi is to share taxi from the Haifa train station to dorm/hotel.
> > Otherwise, according to the prices, shared taxi (something like this
> > [1]; actually, a van) is the cheapest variant for traveling from the
> > airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
> > slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).
>
> And as Deryck and I arrived in the airport at very late hour
> Seems sherut is a better option for us?
> >
> > [1] http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reding_138.jpg

v.ivanov at amikeco

Jul 31, 2011, 12:38 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

But train is more fun for those who are railway fans :)
It'd be nice to go by train and to share a taxi from the station (I go after midnight, probably buses will appear rarely then).

Viatcheslav / Amikeco

31.07.2011, 10:21, "CherianTinu Abraham" <tinucherian [at] gmail>:
> :) See you all there.. I am arriving on 2nd Aug.
> I think Sherut to Dorm is cheaper and convenient than Train to Haifa+ Taxi from station to Dorm/Accom
>
> - Tinu Cherian
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
>> @cherian
>> In seems I started this thread stupidly here XD
>> as it seems my intelligent travel buddy
>> already put my name on that very wiki page
>>
>> 自吾之埃拍
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 30 Jul, 2011, at 16:27, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I was preparing myself today for the trip. The only sense for sharing
>>> taxi is to share taxi from the Haifa train station to dorm/hotel.
>>> Otherwise, according to the prices, shared taxi (something like this
>>> [1]; actually, a van) is the cheapest variant for traveling from the
>>> airport to the dorm and it is around 16.30 EUR (otherwise, it is
>>> slightly more expensive, ~85 ILS ~ 17.30 EUR).
>>
>> And as Deryck and I arrived in the airport at very late hour
>> Seems sherut is a better option for us?
>>

>>> [1] http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reding_138.jpg

amir.aharoni at mail

Jul 31, 2011, 4:46 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

I agree that for people who like trains, the experience is important :)

During the night you can take bus 205 to Hof HaCarmel station to
Merkaz HaCarmel. From Merkaz HaCarmel it's a short walking distance to
Nof and Dan Panorama hotels, and about 15 minutes to Har HaCarmel (go
downhill on Derech Hayam street).

If you don't want to walk, take a taxi from Hof HaCarmel station. It
will cost 45 sheqels.

To save money and effort, please print this document:
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Taxi_Prices.pdf

Print it in any case, even if you don't currently plan to take a taxi
from the train station. Surprises happen :)

2011/7/31 Иванов Вячеслав <v.ivanov [at] amikeco>:
> But train is more fun for those who are railway fans :)
> It'd be nice to go by train and to share a taxi from the station (I go after midnight, probably buses will appear rarely then).
>
> Viatcheslav / Amikeco
>
> 31.07.2011, 10:21, "CherianTinu Abraham" <tinucherian [at] gmail>:
>> :) See you all there.. I am arriving on 2nd Aug.
>> I think Sherut to Dorm is cheaper and convenient than Train to Haifa+ Taxi from station to Dorm/Accom
>>
>> - Tinu Cherian
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> @cherian
>>> In seems I started this thread stupidly here XD
>>> as it seems my intelligent travel buddy
>>> already put my name on that very wiki page
>>>
>>> 自吾之埃拍
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> And as Deryck and I arrived in the airport at very late hour
>>> Seems sherut is a better option for us?

rupert.thurner at gmail

Jul 31, 2011, 6:03 AM

Re: Sherut Sharing [In reply to]

taxi sharing; sherut; telephone Liron: +972-50-5453913
screenshot attached for the ones with androids without pdf support, no
printer, no internet connection

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 13:46, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni [at] mail