Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

Claims by BDS

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

roan.kattouw at gmail

Jun 29, 2011, 1:55 PM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Kim Bruning <kim [at] bruning> wrote:
> Err board resolution on enabeling filters? Doesn't that violate
> [[WP:NOTCENSORED]] ? <looks puzzeled>

It's about voluntary filters, opt-in censorship if you will. The text
of the resolution should make that clear.

Roan

kim at bruning

Jul 5, 2011, 7:40 AM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

Following up on ...:

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:14:06AM +0300, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> 2011/6/29 John Vandenberg <jayvdb [at] gmail>:
> >
> > Have you try reaching the people in
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_in_Palestine
> >
> > ?
>
> Yes, some of them, but i'll try a few more. Thanks for poking.

Any Luck? Need any help? :)

read you soon,
Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key FEF9DD72

harel.cain at gmail

Jul 5, 2011, 8:35 AM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

Wikimania has been advertised in so many different ways till now, and for so
long, that I find it a little weird to actively pursue any group of
Wikipedians in person to attend the conference. Any reasonably active
Wikipedian will have known by now that it's taking place in August in Haifa.
The conference site and the registration form all have full Arab versions,
and we posted on the ar.wp village pump (I think more than once). What more
can be done within reason?

It has to be said that If Palestinians don't want to attend (it doesn't have
necessarily to be for political reasons, it can be for a multitude of other
cultural, economic and sociological reasons), nobody can force them to do
so.

Again, in previous Wikimanias the representation from the Arab world was low
to very low (in relation to the size of the Arab world), as others already
noted on this thread. There are many underrepresented demographic groups in
our movement.

Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 17:40, Kim Bruning <kim [at] bruning> wrote:

> Following up on ...:
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:14:06AM +0300, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> > 2011/6/29 John Vandenberg <jayvdb [at] gmail>:
> > >
> > > Have you try reaching the people in
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_in_Palestine
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > Yes, some of them, but i'll try a few more. Thanks for poking.
>
> Any Luck? Need any help? :)
>
> read you soon,
> Kim Bruning
>

> --
> [Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
> gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key FEF9DD72
> 5ED6 E215 73EE AD84 E03A 01C5 94AC 7B0E FEF9 DD72

shipmaster at gmail

Jul 5, 2011, 9:14 AM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

It was always my opinion that for under-privileged communities, like Egypt
and Palestine and any third-world country, Wikimania serves a double
purpose, the first is for wikipedians to meet and exchange ideas etc. The
other is to increase awareness about the role Wikipedia plays in making
knowledge accessible to everyone. People with internet access in those areas
are not necessarily tech-savvy enough to find that out on their own. A lot
of students in Egypt only use the internet for very basic functions because
they were never trained for more or they have a language barrier. That's
why, for WM Alexandria, we tried as much as possible to reach this audience
ourselves, by advertising, pre-conference introductory sessions in colleges,
posters, etc. The result was good in terms of attendance and in terms of
users who joined after WM.

It was my hope that the same would be possible for Palestine. In our
previous conversations, I tried to search for someone willing to cooperate,
and I gave you guys the name of a dean of a university in the WB that my
contacts said would be interested, did you guys ever contact that guy? If so
what was the outcome?

I guess what I am trying to say is that to answer the question 'Why wouldn't
there be any Palestinian in WM Haifa?' the answer 'Because no one wanted to
come and was turned away' lacks the whole aspect of promoting WM actively in
under-served communities. No one knows what WM is in most of those
communities to be interested in coming, isn't that one of the reasons we
hold WM in a different part of the world every year?

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Harel Cain <harel.cain [at] gmail> wrote:

> Wikimania has been advertised in so many different ways till now, and for
> so long, that I find it a little weird to actively pursue any group of
> Wikipedians in person to attend the conference. Any reasonably active
> Wikipedian will have known by now that it's taking place in August in Haifa.
> The conference site and the registration form all have full Arab versions,
> and we posted on the ar.wp village pump (I think more than once). What more
> can be done within reason?
>
> It has to be said that If Palestinians don't want to attend (it doesn't
> have necessarily to be for political reasons, it can be for a multitude of
> other cultural, economic and sociological reasons), nobody can force them to
> do so.
>
> Again, in previous Wikimanias the representation from the Arab world was
> low to very low (in relation to the size of the Arab world), as others
> already noted on this thread. There are many underrepresented demographic
> groups in our movement.
>

> Harel Cain
> Wikimania 2011 local team
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 17:40, Kim Bruning <kim [at] bruning> wrote:
>
>> Following up on ...:

>> > Yes, some of them, but i'll try a few more. Thanks for poking.
>>
>> Any Luck? Need any help? :)
>>
>> read you soon,
>> Kim Bruning
>>

>> --
>> [Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
>> gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key FEF9DD72
>> 5ED6 E215 73EE AD84 E03A 01C5 94AC 7B0E FEF9 DD72

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jul 5, 2011, 10:25 AM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

On 5 July 2011 16:35, Harel Cain <harel.cain [at] gmail> wrote:
> It has to be said that If Palestinians don't want to attend (it doesn't have
> necessarily to be for political reasons, it can be for a multitude of other
> cultural, economic and sociological reasons), nobody can force them to do
> so.

While that is certainly true, it is very disappointing. A lot of
people raised concerns about Palestinian attendance when you first
started bidding. The Q&A page for your bid says "Wikimania in Haifa
should be appealing to Palestinian and Jordanian
participants[...]"[1]. It seems that has proven incorrect.

In hindsight, some work should probably have been done during the
bidding stage to gauge interest from Palestinians. I wonder if the
jury would have looked so favourably upon your bid had it been known
then that Arab attendance would be so low.

1. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2011/Bids/Haifa/Q%26A#Participants

janbart at wikimedia

Jul 5, 2011, 1:15 PM

Re: Claims by BDS [In reply to]

Dear Thomas,

I think everyone is disappointed about a lower than hoped for attendance from people with these cultural backgrounds but the tone in your email is uncalled for. I am not sure what you hope to achieve by this tone or the implication.

I have had the good fortune to be able to attend all the wikimania's held. Every single one of them featured a team of volunteers trying to balance all kinds of different interests and activities to make it the greatest conference ever. Every wikimania has had positive surprises and every wikimania has had aspects which did not work as well out as planned. I am sure that the Israeli team is trying as hard as possible to make this Wikimania a success.

A little "assume good faith" would be in place here.

Jan-Bart

PS: just to make sure: I am not speaking as a board member in this case!