Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

TRIVIA tonight!

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

phoebe.ayers at gmail

Jul 10, 2010, 3:12 AM

TRIVIA tonight!

we are having a trivia night tonight! as advertised. It will be after the
movie screening -- around 10:15pm. Location tbd -- it will either be in the
concert hall or outside in the "ampitheatre" space. We will announce the
location at the movie.

signup:
http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trivia_night

-- phoebe

--
WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010

aphaia at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 12:38 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
skyline in the dawn.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ayers [at] gmail> wrote:
> we are having a trivia night tonight! as advertised. It will be after the
> movie screening -- around 10:15pm. Location tbd -- it will either be in the
> concert hall or outside in the "ampitheatre" space. We will announce the
> location at the movie.
> signup:
> http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trivia_night
> -- phoebe

So making the night amusement finalized, a question: can we please see
the correct answers somewhere?

> WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Jul 20, 2010, 12:54 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

2010/7/20 Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail>

> in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
> like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
> itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
> last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
> the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
> skyline in the dawn.

last tram? You mean the first?

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ayers [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > we are having a trivia night tonight! as advertised. It will be after the
> > movie screening -- around 10:15pm. Location tbd -- it will either be in
> the
> > concert hall or outside in the "ampitheatre" space. We will announce the
> > location at the movie.
> > signup:
> > http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trivia_night
> > -- phoebe
>
> So making the night amusement finalized, a question: can we please see
> the correct answers somewhere?

And the questions! Unfortunately I wasnt ware of where the quiz was, so I
missed it - please keep Q&A seperated from each other!

> Cheers,
>

> > --
> > WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010

> KIZU Naoko
> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

in2thats12 at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 1:57 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

I have both the questions and the answers. I am happy to post them. How do
people want them organized? Separate files, or one file with a question
slide followed by an answer slide?

Peter

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders>wrote:

> 2010/7/20 Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail>
>
> in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
>> like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
>> itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
>> last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
>> the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
>> skyline in the dawn.
>>

> last tram? You mean the first?
>

>> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ayers [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>> > we are having a trivia night tonight! as advertised. It will be after
>> the
>> > movie screening -- around 10:15pm. Location tbd -- it will either be in
>> the
>> > concert hall or outside in the "ampitheatre" space. We will announce the
>> > location at the movie.
>> > signup:
>> > http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trivia_night
>> > -- phoebe
>>
>> So making the night amusement finalized, a question: can we please see
>> the correct answers somewhere?
>>

> And the questions! Unfortunately I wasnt ware of where the quiz was, so I
> missed it - please keep Q&A seperated from each other!
>

>> Cheers,
>>

>> > --
>> > WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko
>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

newyorkbrad at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 6:26 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

Please post the questions and answers separately, so that people who
weren't at the conference can try their hand at the questions. (Some
of us who couldn't attend this year are practicing for next year!)

Newyorkbrad

On 7/20/10, Peter Gehres <in2thats12 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have both the questions and the answers. I am happy to post them. How do
> people want them organized? Separate files, or one file with a question
> slide followed by an answer slide?
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Lodewijk
> <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders>wrote:
>

>> 2010/7/20 Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail>
>>
>> in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
>>> like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
>>> itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
>>> last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
>>> the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
>>> skyline in the dawn.
>>>

>> last tram? You mean the first?

>>> the
>>> the
>>>
>>> So making the night amusement finalized, a question: can we please see
>>> the correct answers somewhere?
>>>

>> And the questions! Unfortunately I wasnt ware of where the quiz was, so I
>> missed it - please keep Q&A seperated from each other!
>>

>>> Cheers,

>>> --
>>> KIZU Naoko
>>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

anthere at anthere

Jul 20, 2010, 7:04 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

On 7/20/10 9:54 AM, Lodewijk wrote:

> 2010/7/20 Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail <mailto:aphaia [at] gmail>>
>
> in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
> like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
> itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
> last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
> the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
> skyline in the dawn.
>

> last tram? You mean the first?

There was a tram ?

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Jul 20, 2010, 7:09 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

I assume they didn't put those iron bars in thr ground for decorative
purposes :)

2010/7/20 Florence Devouard <anthere [at] anthere>

> On 7/20/10 9:54 AM, Lodewijk wrote:
>

> 2010/7/20 Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail>
>
>> in addition to general gratitude for the conference organization, I'd
>> like to thank you all who organized this quiz show and the party
>> itself as well. It made a fun ... including the experience missing the
>> last tram! I was really amazed my flesh and blood had preserved still
>> the elements of 80's prodigal Tokyo girl, thrived by the old Gdanska
>> skyline in the dawn.
>>

> last tram? You mean the first?
>

> There was a tram ?

phoebe.ayers at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 7:17 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

And if you think the questions/answers suck, well, I think you know what to
do.... edit this trivia night.

Maybe next time we'll even find a space that we don't get kicked out of
before finishing!

thanks for playing,
phoebe

--
phoebe.ayers [at] gmail | http://phoebeayers.info
support Wikimedia: http://donate.wikimedia.org

Jul 20, 2010, 7:31 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

I heard a rumor that there would be a beach in Haifa...

harel.cain at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 7:44 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

There would also be a 24-hour lounge right at the venue which I think should
be very good for things like late-night trivia....

Harel

agarrett at wikimedia

Jul 20, 2010, 7:50 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

A lilo on the beach, presumably.

--
Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/

d, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Harel Cain <harel.cain [at] gmail> wrote:
> There would also be a 24-hour lounge right at the venue which I think should
> be very good for things like late-night trivia....
>

> Harel
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders>
> wrote:
>>
>> I heard a rumor that there would be a beach in Haifa...
>>
>> 2010/7/20 phoebe ayers <phoebe.ayers [at] gmail>
>>>
>>> And if you think the questions/answers suck, well, I think you know what
>>> to do.... edit this trivia night.
>>>
>>> Maybe next time we'll even find a space that we don't get kicked out of
>>> before finishing!
>>>
>>> thanks for playing,
>>> phoebe
>>>
>>> --
>>> phoebe.ayers [at] gmail | http://phoebeayers.info
>>> support Wikimedia: http://donate.wikimedia.org

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/

nemowiki at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 9:32 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

Lodewijk, 20/07/2010 16:09:
> I assume they didn't put those iron bars in thr ground for decorative
> purposes :)

In Milan we have many kilometers of (decorative?) unused "iron bars in
the ground". :-)
Anyway, last tram was at 23:08...
http://www.ztm.gda.pl/rozklady/rozklad-008_20100720-14-2.html

Nemo

in2thats12 at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 12:31 PM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

I have uploaded the slides with the questions and a separate file with the
questions and answers:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2010_Trivia_Night.

I hope everyone enjoyed trivia night. It certainly was exciting as we got
kicked out of the bookstore.

Peter Gehres

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki [at] gmail>wrote:

> Lodewijk, 20/07/2010 16:09:
> > I assume they didn't put those iron bars in thr ground for decorative
> > purposes :)
>
> In Milan we have many kilometers of (decorative?) unused "iron bars in
> the ground". :-)
> Anyway, last tram was at 23:08...
> http://www.ztm.gda.pl/rozklady/rozklad-008_20100720-14-2.html
>
> Nemo

aphaia at gmail

Jul 20, 2010, 8:42 PM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

Thank you!

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Peter Gehres <in2thats12 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have uploaded the slides with the questions and a separate file with the
> questions and
> answers:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2010_Trivia_Night.
> I hope everyone enjoyed trivia night. It certainly was exciting as we got
> kicked out of the bookstore.
> Peter Gehres
>

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> Lodewijk, 20/07/2010 16:09:
>> > I assume they didn't put those iron bars in thr ground for decorative
>> > purposes :)
>>
>> In Milan we have many kilometers of (decorative?) unused "iron bars in
>> the ground". :-)
>> Anyway, last tram was at 23:08...
>> http://www.ztm.gda.pl/rozklady/rozklad-008_20100720-14-2.html
>>
>> Nemo

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

saintonge at telus

Jul 21, 2010, 1:13 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

Harel Cain wrote:
> There would also be a 24-hour lounge right at the venue which I think
> should be very good for things like late-night trivia....
>
> Harel

Hopefully we will e able to hear the questions a little better.

Ray

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Jul 21, 2010, 1:47 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

just for the record... the answer to the board question seems to be
incorrect :) It should be 19... (but I guess that this file was prepared
before the announcements :) )

2010/7/21 Ray Saintonge <saintonge [at] telus>

> Harel Cain wrote:
> > There would also be a 24-hour lounge right at the venue which I think
> > should be very good for things like late-night trivia....
> >
> > Harel
> >
> Hopefully we will e able to hear the questions a little better.
>
> Ray

in2thats12 at gmail

Jul 21, 2010, 3:29 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

Indeed it is. We discovered that while grading but neglected to update the
answers. Funny knowing that the questions and answers were written by Phoebe
and mostly on the day of (i.e. the day after she was elected).

The file has been updated.

Peter

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders>wrote:

> just for the record... the answer to the board question seems to be
> incorrect :) It should be 19... (but I guess that this file was prepared
> before the announcements :) )
>
> 2010/7/21 Ray Saintonge <saintonge [at] telus>
>
> Harel Cain wrote:
>> > There would also be a 24-hour lounge right at the venue which I think
>> > should be very good for things like late-night trivia....
>> >
>> > Harel
>> >
>> Hopefully we will e able to hear the questions a little better.
>>
>> Ray

phoebe.ayers at gmail

Jul 21, 2010, 8:18 AM

Re: TRIVIA tonight! [In reply to]

I also made corrections on the talk page of the file, so you can check
there :) there are (were) two incorrect answers -- the board (which we
prepared before I was seated :) ) and the Polish top contrib's name is
off. Also there was some argument about how to phrase the various
questions which I tried to clarify.

And, credit where credit's due... the questions came from:
Angela Beesley
Jeromy-Yu Chan
Rand Montoya
Liam Wyatt
Me

Peter Gehres did the lions's share of the work of formatting, making
q&a sheets, advertising the night, etc.

Thanks to SJ for reading the questions for me; I was too hoarse to do
it (and too busy arguing with our polish proprietor). And the whole
idea was originally Liam's, with contributions from Pharos, yours
truly, and others :)

As I said, edit this trivia...
phoebe