Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: WikiMania

thank you

Wikipedia wikimania RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Jul 28, 2008, 7:47 PM

thank you

For the people who were at Wikimania, there was a lengthy thank-you
session at the end where we got to applaud the volunteers and staff
who worked hard on the conference. But I would just like to reiterate
that, and give my personal thanks to:

* Mido, for leading the bid and planning (with all of the stress for
months on end that entails -- just ask any of the former organizers),
thereby giving many of us the chance to meet our Egyptian colleagues
and have a great conference

* Moushira -- I recognized and sympathized with the way you were
frantically running around during the conference :)

* Nada, Abdel, Ahmed, and lots and lots of other people I didn't meet
(and people I did meet but can't remember the names of); you guys
pulled it off!

* The BA staff generally, but especially Drs. Ismail Serageldin and
Noha Adly for being supportive of the conference, for putting the
considerable organizational weight of the BA behind it, and for
offering up your resources and space to us; I hope that we are able to
work together in the future, as two organizations with truly shared
goals.

* Delphine, as always, for tying up a thousand loose ends,
coordinating Foundation-side work, making reconnaissance trips to
Alexandria, and on and on :)

* The Foundation staff, especially Jay and Cary for getting little
things done like press and scholarships

* Lodewijk and Jakob for doing nearly all the organizational work on
the program, off-site and on; and all the program reviewers

But thanks especially to everyone who showed up, especially those who
took the risk of flying in from far away, and those who came from
nearby who didn't know much about Wikipedia and wanted to find out
more. It was great to see old friends and make new ones. I did not
work on the organization of this year's conference as much as in past
years, so I got the somewhat novel experience of going as an attendee
-- you get to attend sessions that way, it turns out :)

Here were some of my favorite parts of this year's conference:

* Learning more about the Arabic Wikipedia and the challenges it
faces; listening to a heated debate in the lightning talks about
whether educated Egyptians should contribute in Arabic or English
* Learning about the Bibliotheca Alexandrina's efforts to digitize
their Arabic-language collection, using OCR software they developed
in-house
* Meeting some of the librarians of the Bibliotheca Alexandria,
especially the children's librarians and my compatriots the reference
librarians; giving an ad-hoc talk to them about how Wikipedia works
* teaching a dozen Egyptian children how to make sockpuppets
* 75 piastre (15 US cents) falafel (especially hearing Mako wax
enthusiastic about the falafel all weekend)
* eating (delicious!) fish in a restaurant overlooking the
Mediterranean while talking about academic impressions of Wikipedia
* getting to applaud the third! Board Chair of the Foundation; it
really does feel like the organization is finally mature
* being in Egypt itself (despite being hot and sick): things like
getting in a taxi then waiting for the driver to fix his engine before
we could go; sitting out on the corniche in the evening along with
everyone else; finally realizing how small the Sphinx actually is
compared to the pyramids
* Singing "I Will Revise" at the final party

In my personal view, Wikimania shouldn't be thought of as just a
holiday, a chance to meet friends, a way to introduce the projects to
people in the local community, or a way to have organizational
business meetings, though of course it is all of those things.

Wikimania is above all a chance to start projects -- to take the
relationships that we've all built by meeting people we knew online
(and those we didn't) and make them stronger, and take the things
we've collectively learned -- about the Foundation, the place where
the conference was, and the various projects that the attendees
represented -- and then make those projects stronger. For me, the
success of this year's Wikimania will be measured for in large part
not just by the last couple of weeks but by what happens next --
whether the Foundation collaborates with the BA to host public-domain
Arabic texts, whether the Arabic-language media takes a stronger
interest in writing about Wikipedia, whether the many new people who
showed up start editing Wikipedia, and whether the rest of us who
attended have renewed inspiration to work on Wikimedia projects and
stay in touch with one another, to follow up on all those
conversations.

Finally, do keep the comments coming about Wikimania, good and bad; as
Patricio said, we do have another conference to work on and input is
great. Beyond that, we have the future of Wikimania to plan -- 2010
and beyond. There is going to be an effort to formally collect
feedback soon as well, and I hope all of you will participate. This
conference is ultimately a community effort, for the community; and
it's something that everyone interested should help shape.

-- Phoebe, who is already looking forward to next year

p.s. there's a whole lot of people that I didn't get the chance to say
goodbye to in person. By the last night, I had entirely lost my voice
and was basically unable to talk -- just at the moment when I most
wanted to talk to many of you. So I guess I'm making up for it by
writing this very long email :)

saintonge at telus

Aug 1, 2008, 10:20 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

phoebe ayers wrote:
> For the people who were at Wikimania, there was a lengthy thank-you
> session at the end where we got to applaud the volunteers and staff
> who worked hard on the conference.

I think these thank yous are important, and the criticisms that may
develop as we plan for the future should not detract from the
appreciation that we all feel for the wonderful effort made by the
Alexandria team. Whatever discomforts some of us may have felt in
Egypt, I still believe that choosing to have Wikimania 2008 in
Alexandria was a good one.

I should add too that despite the security concerns expressed by some
before the conference, I never felt unsafe in Egypt. Some of the habits
were extremely annoying, but none of this ever suggested any malicious
intent.
> Here were some of my favorite parts of this year's conference:
> * being in Egypt itself (despite being hot and sick): things like
> getting in a taxi then waiting for the driver to fix his engine before
> we could go; sitting out on the corniche in the evening along with
> everyone else; finally realizing how small the Sphinx actually is
> compared to the pyramids
In Luxor I was riding in a horse-drawn carriage when the horse fell over
trying to make a turn. Horseshoes are really not suited to smooth
pavement. The carriage had to be removed so that the horse could get up
again. Fortunately, he did not appear to be injured. Life in the
modern west does not prepare us for this kind of incident.

Somehow, the sickness and other discomforts we have faced add a special
texture to the happier moments.

Ray

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 8:44 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

Hear, hear!

On 13 July 2010 16:33, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> Dear organizers (hopefully someone can forward it to those not on this list)
>
> thank you so much for putting the time and dedication into this years
> wikimania. Organizing a conference of this size with attendees who have such
> high demands and expectations is as always hard, and I think it deserves an
> applause no matter whether some things did not go as planned.
> It was a very difficult organizing this year, the bumps in the road were
> numerous and I would like to explicitely thank all those volunteers who were
> not a part of the bidding team but stepped in when their help was most
> needed. Several people who live outside Poland suddenly lived for a few
> weeks in an appartment in Gdansk together - leaving their lives for what
> they were - and had to make horrible long hours to make the conference to
> what it has become. I have deep appreciation for those people and I think it
> is quite unique and wonderful to have such a volunteer base to fall back
> onto.
> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
> were suddenly arranged!
> I dont dare to call out the specific people, being afraid of missing several
> - I have only seen so much of it. I do hope to have the opportunity of
> seeing many of you irl again soon!
>
> many hugs,
>
> Lodewijk

aphaia at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 2:03 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

I'd like to join the choir, thank you all the organizers and also to
Lodewijk, let us know the people who offered help in the last weeks.

Specially I'd like to appreciate the streaming team, on behalf of
Wikimedians in Kyoto, Japan. As I told Mathias, the meeting we at
Wikimedia User Group in Kansai presented in Tokyo last Friday, it got
a nice stable clear streaming, without any problem, user:Aokomoriuta
said to me. Again, thank you for your all work which made it.

hugs and kisses,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> Dear organizers (hopefully someone can forward it to those not on this list)
>
> thank you so much for putting the time and dedication into this years
> wikimania. Organizing a conference of this size with attendees who have such
> high demands and expectations is as always hard, and I think it deserves an
> applause no matter whether some things did not go as planned.
> It was a very difficult organizing this year, the bumps in the road were
> numerous and I would like to explicitely thank all those volunteers who were
> not a part of the bidding team but stepped in when their help was most
> needed. Several people who live outside Poland suddenly lived for a few
> weeks in an appartment in Gdansk together - leaving their lives for what
> they were - and had to make horrible long hours to make the conference to
> what it has become. I have deep appreciation for those people and I think it
> is quite unique and wonderful to have such a volunteer base to fall back
> onto.
> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
> were suddenly arranged!
> I dont dare to call out the specific people, being afraid of missing several
> - I have only seen so much of it. I do hope to have the opportunity of
> seeing many of you irl again soon!
>
> many hugs,
>
> Lodewijk

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

adhair at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 2:32 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
> were suddenly arranged!

I didn't get any X in my attendee package. Are you holding out on me?

Austin

juliana at wikimania2010

Jul 13, 2010, 3:07 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

I do not even get an attendee-package... but this might be the destiny if you
are organizer...

2010/7/13 Austin Hair <adhair [at] gmail>:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
>> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
>> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
>> were suddenly arranged!
>
> I didn't get any X in my attendee package. Are you holding out on me?
>
> Austin

meta.sj at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 3:32 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

I also had a delightful time in Gdansk, and found this one of the most
engaging Wikimanias ever; thanks to the local team for their hard work
in pulling this off!

And thanks to everyone in back rooms who spent their days making
Wikimania amazing. Some were long-time organizers and Wikimaniacs;
some were local enthusiasts, new to Wikimania; and some were venue and
city staff who really made an extra effort to be available at all
hours. ( Łukasz - perhaps you can make a page online recognizing the
work of the local volunteers that chipped in over the last week. )

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail> wrote:

> Specially I'd like to appreciate the streaming team, on behalf of
> Wikimedians in Kyoto, Japan.

Yes - streaming was smoother and more reliable than it has ever been.
Thanks to iStream for this, and to Manuel for overseeing the process
(and the last-minute network upgrade for the venue) and making sure
both were solid.

SJ

steven.walling at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 4:14 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

I would like pile on my thanks (or dziękuję if you like) to all the local
organizers and everyone else who made Wikimania happen, even in the smallest
way possible. It was a fantastic event.

I'd like to express a special thank you to everyone involved with the
scholarship program. You made it possible for myself and many others to
attend who wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

See you in Haifa,

Steven Walling
http://enwp.org/User:Steven_Walling

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj [at] gmail> wrote:

> I also had a delightful time in Gdansk, and found this one of the most
> engaging Wikimanias ever; thanks to the local team for their hard work
> in pulling this off!
>
> And thanks to everyone in back rooms who spent their days making
> Wikimania amazing. Some were long-time organizers and Wikimaniacs;
> some were local enthusiasts, new to Wikimania; and some were venue and
> city staff who really made an extra effort to be available at all
> hours. ( Łukasz - perhaps you can make a page online recognizing the
> work of the local volunteers that chipped in over the last week. )
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > Specially I'd like to appreciate the streaming team, on behalf of
> > Wikimedians in Kyoto, Japan.
>
> Yes - streaming was smoother and more reliable than it has ever been.
> Thanks to iStream for this, and to Manuel for overseeing the process
> (and the last-minute network upgrade for the venue) and making sure
> both were solid.
>
> SJ

anthere at anthere

Jul 13, 2010, 5:00 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

On 7/13/10 11:32 PM, Austin Hair wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Lodewijk<lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>
>> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
>> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
>> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
>> were suddenly arranged!
>>
> I didn't get any X in my attendee package. Are you holding out on me?
>
> Austin

Well, I did not get any attendee package at all (none left when I went
to collect it the first morning).
But aside from missing the full program which would have been useful to
have, I do not think I have much to complain.
I spent 6 wonderful days in Gdansk, which is a lovely city. I met plenty
of great people. The program was interesting. The concert was SO cool.
There was food and there was a bed. I could always find an electrical
plug (not always the case in previous Wikimanias) and whilst not great,
the Internet was usually working. I read several time that the streaming
was great. Rumors from other participants tell me that most people were
happy as well. So, thank you thank you thank you to all the organizers !

Ant

kat at mindspillage

Jul 13, 2010, 5:16 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> Dear organizers (hopefully someone can forward it to those not on this list)
>
> thank you so much for putting the time and dedication into this years
> wikimania. Organizing a conference of this size with attendees who have such
> high demands and expectations is as always hard, and I think it deserves an
> applause no matter whether some things did not go as planned.
> It was a very difficult organizing this year, the bumps in the road were
> numerous and I would like to explicitely thank all those volunteers who were
> not a part of the bidding team but stepped in when their help was most
> needed. Several people who live outside Poland suddenly lived for a few
> weeks in an appartment in Gdansk together - leaving their lives for what
> they were - and had to make horrible long hours to make the conference to
> what it has become. I have deep appreciation for those people and I think it
> is quite unique and wonderful to have such a volunteer base to fall back
> onto.
> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
> were suddenly arranged!
> I dont dare to call out the specific people, being afraid of missing several
> - I have only seen so much of it. I do hope to have the opportunity of
> seeing many of you irl again soon!

* Support. ~~~~

Thanks to the organizers for a great conference--I think it went very
well! Wikimania always reminds me how awesome the people involved in
this crazy thing are, in every role--smart and generous and dedicated
and passionate, and of course at least a little bit weird. Thanks to
everyone for coming together and making it a success.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat [at] wikimedia * Personal: kat [at] mindspillage

kikkocristian at gmail

Jul 13, 2010, 10:33 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

2010/7/14 Florence Devouard <anthere [at] anthere>:
> Well, I did not get any attendee package at all (none left when I went
> to collect it the first morning).

Same experience for me (I arrived Friday in the late evening).

> But aside from missing the full program which would have been useful to
> have, I do not think I have much to complain.

I managed to have my copy of the program.

> I spent 6 wonderful days in Gdansk, which is a lovely city. I met plenty
> of great people. The program was interesting. The concert was SO cool.
> There was food and there was a bed. I could always find an electrical
> plug (not always the case in previous Wikimanias) and whilst not great,
> the Internet was usually working. I read several time that the streaming
> was great. Rumors from other participants tell me that most people were
> happy as well. So, thank you thank you thank you to all the organizers !

I haven't brought my laptop so I haven't tested the WiFi, but people I
know never mentioned problems about it.
For the rest, I completely agree with Florence and if I can add the
food was really good (I would have said perfect if there would have
also been choice for vegetarians et al.).

Thank you.

Cristian
(Wikimedia Italia)

celichow at osi

Jul 14, 2010, 12:23 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

+1!

Samuel Klein wrote:

> I also had a delightful time in Gdansk, and found this one of the most
> engaging Wikimanias ever; thanks to the local team for their hard work
> in pulling this off!
>
> And thanks to everyone in back rooms who spent their days making
> Wikimania amazing. Some were long-time organizers and Wikimaniacs;
> some were local enthusiasts, new to Wikimania; and some were venue and
> city staff who really made an extra effort to be available at all
> hours. ( Łukasz - perhaps you can make a page online recognizing the
> work of the local volunteers that chipped in over the last week. )
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Aphaia <aphaia [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > Specially I'd like to appreciate the streaming team, on behalf of
> > Wikimedians in Kyoto, Japan.
>
> Yes - streaming was smoother and more reliable than it has ever been.
> Thanks to iStream for this, and to Manuel for overseeing the process
> (and the last-minute network upgrade for the venue) and making sure
> both were solid.
>
> SJ

Jerzy Celichowski
Deputy Director for Operations
Information Program
Open Society Institute
Oktober 6 utca 12
1051 Budapest
celichow [at] osi
skype: celichow
mob. +36 20 45 46 548
phone +36 1 882 3135
fax +36 1 882 3104
http://www.soros.org/initiatives/information

erik at wikimedia

Jul 14, 2010, 2:51 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

Thank you all for your hard work and dedication -- it was a terrific
experience, and I'm glad that most things came together in spite of
the various difficulties in the process. It was great to have a
concert and a movie premiere at a Wikimania, the program was intense
and chock full of great sessions, there was WiFi, streaming video, and
most importantly, an amazing community with lots of first time
attendees!

In addition to the Polish team, huge thanks are due to Juliana,
Austin, Manuel, Ralf, Sj, Phoebe and many others, without whose
tireless dedication this event wouldn't have been possible. There
surely will be lots to learn from this year, but the one thing I've
been reminded of once again is how amazingly resourceful our community
can be in creating a conference unlike any other.

All best,
Erik

--
Erik Mller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

saintonge at telus

Jul 14, 2010, 7:53 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

If there was any kind of XXX in the packages it would be wise not to let fox news know about it.

Ray

On Jul 13, 2010, Austin Hair <adhair [at] gmail> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
> were suddenly arranged!

I didn't get any X in my attendee package. Are you holding out on me?

notafishz at gmail

Jul 15, 2010, 3:04 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Kat Walsh <kat [at] mindspillage> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
>> Dear organizers (hopefully someone can forward it to those not on this list)
>>
>> thank you so much for putting the time and dedication into this years
>> wikimania. Organizing a conference of this size with attendees who have such
>> high demands and expectations is as always hard, and I think it deserves an
>> applause no matter whether some things did not go as planned.
>> It was a very difficult organizing this year, the bumps in the road were
>> numerous and I would like to explicitely thank all those volunteers who were
>> not a part of the bidding team but stepped in when their help was most
>> needed. Several people who live outside Poland suddenly lived for a few
>> weeks in an appartment in Gdansk together - leaving their lives for what
>> they were - and had to make horrible long hours to make the conference to
>> what it has become. I have deep appreciation for those people and I think it
>> is quite unique and wonderful to have such a volunteer base to fall back
>> onto.
>> But also "the people we did not see" did a tremendous amount of work in the
>> past weeks. I remember that I slipped a few days before the conference that
>> it would be nice to have X in the attendee packages, and the next day they
>> were suddenly arranged!
>> I dont dare to call out the specific people, being afraid of missing several
>> - I have only seen so much of it. I do hope to have the opportunity of
>> seeing many of you irl again soon!
>
> * Support. ~~~~
>
> Thanks to the organizers for a great conference--I think it went very
> well! Wikimania always reminds me how awesome the people involved in
> this crazy thing are, in every role--smart and generous and dedicated
> and passionate, and of course at least a little bit weird. Thanks to
> everyone for coming together and making it a success.

+1

And again, it's all about the people :)

Delphine
--
~notafish

adhair at gmail

Jul 15, 2010, 7:07 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

2010/7/15 Delphine Ménard <notafishz [at] gmail>:
> And again, it's all about the people :)

Shh, you're giving away our secrets!

I've said it many times, but 90% of it is just getting a few hundred
Wikimedians together in the same building. 9% of it is making sure
they have power and Internet access. The rest is icing—but it's the
icing that we agonize over for weeks.

Thank you, everyone, for all your kind words. It's always hard to
tell at the time whether it's going well, so having someone say so
means a lot.

Austin

cary at wikimedia

Jul 15, 2010, 8:49 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Jul 15, 2010, 9:02 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

dont forget the beach!

2010/7/15 Cary Bass <cary [at] wikimedia>

mastigm at gmail

Jul 15, 2010, 1:04 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

where was the beach?
Aaah! been ther many times before :)

masti

On 07/15/2010 06:02 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
> dont forget the beach!
>
> 2010/7/15 Cary Bass <cary [at] wikimedia <mailto:cary [at] wikimedia>>

> On 07/15/2010 07:07 AM, Austin Hair wrote:
> > I've said it many times, but 90% of it is just getting a few
> > hundred Wikimedians together in the same building.
> And into their hotel rooms and dormitories!
>
> - --
> Cary Bass
> Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation

jerry.tschan.yu at gmail

Jul 16, 2010, 1:19 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

Anyway thx for those helped in Gdansk

especially those who helped upon emergency calls LOL

Jerry~雨雨
Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
MSN: jeromyuchan [at] msn
also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Laudamus quae laudentur
Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 04:04, masti <mastigm [at] gmail> wrote:

> where was the beach?
> Aaah! been ther many times before :)
>
> masti
>
> On 07/15/2010 06:02 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
> > dont forget the beach!
> >
> > 2010/7/15 Cary Bass <cary [at] wikimedia <mailto:cary [at] wikimedia>>

> > On 07/15/2010 07:07 AM, Austin Hair wrote:
> > > I've said it many times, but 90% of it is just getting a few
> > > hundred Wikimedians together in the same building.
> > And into their hotel rooms and dormitories!
> >
> > - --
> > Cary Bass
> > Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation

learnrussianspeakrussian at gmail

Jul 16, 2010, 1:34 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

Thank you for everyone and Ania Najmajer in particular! It was like a dream:
a good one! Thanks!
--
Natasha Brown
http://www.LearnRussianSpeakRussian.org<http://www.learnrussianspeakrussian.org/>

On 16 July 2010 09:19, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <
jerry.tschan.yu [at] gmail> wrote:

> Anyway thx for those helped in Gdansk
>
> especially those who helped upon emergency calls LOL
>
> Jerry~雨雨
> Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
> ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
> Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
> MSN: jeromyuchan [at] msn
> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Laudamus quae laudentur
> Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
> Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus
>

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 04:04, masti <mastigm [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> where was the beach?
>> Aaah! been ther many times before :)
>>
>> masti
>>
>> On 07/15/2010 06:02 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
>> > dont forget the beach!

>> > And into their hotel rooms and dormitories!
>> >
>> > - --
>> > Cary Bass
>> > Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation

juliana at wikimania2010

Jul 16, 2010, 2:47 AM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

It was hard work, protracted work, not seldom very frustrating work.
I am very happy that the event was such a satisfying success and it
was a salvation to see how happy the people were during the Wikimania
despite the problems we had (you can have a view on
http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Monsters_and_critics for
details).
We can really be proud about this what we created, but to organize a
event with this complexity under the permises we had brought some of
us to the border of bearableness and is under the same prerequisites
not recommendable.

99% of the problems came from lack of communication.
The work on this organization showed how important it is to work
together as a closed team, share informations with each others, be
transparent, be trustful, work disciplined, bank on collective decided
agreements, care about the others health - in social, physical and
mental regards!

Volunteers are no slaves and no idiots who say still thank you after
you kick them into ass and you can throw them away like trash after
usage respectivly blight. The whole Wikip/media world lives from the
engagement of people who want to share there passions and engagement
together. We should learn from this event, how important it is to give
still more respect for people who work hard with no or low fee to
support free knowledge on the whole world.

Thank you for your kind appreciation and your attendance on Wikimania 2010.

Best

Juliana

2010/7/14 Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia>:
> Thank you all for your hard work and dedication -- it was a terrific
> experience, and I'm glad that most things came together in spite of
> the various difficulties in the process. It was great to have a
> concert and a movie premiere at a Wikimania, the program was intense
> and chock full of great sessions, there was WiFi, streaming video, and
> most importantly, an amazing community with lots of first time
> attendees!
>
> In addition to the Polish team, huge thanks are due to Juliana,
> Austin, Manuel, Ralf, Sj, Phoebe and many others, without whose
> tireless dedication this event wouldn't have been possible. There
> surely will be lots to learn from this year, but the one thing I've
> been reminded of once again is how amazingly resourceful our community
> can be in creating a conference unlike any other.
>
> All best,
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Mller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Jul 17, 2010, 7:27 PM

Re: thank you [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk [at] effeietsanders> wrote:
> Dear organizers (hopefully someone can forward it to those not on this list)
>
> thank you so much for putting the time and dedication into this years
> wikimania. Organizing a conference of this size with attendees who have such
> high demands and expectations is as always hard, and I think it deserves an
> applause no matter whether some things did not go as planned.

Well said! and a slightly belated thank-you of my own to everyone who
worked super hard on this year's Wikimania. There were several people,
and groups of people, who stepped in at various points during the last
year to push forward different parts of the conference - sometimes, in
true wiki fashion, taking over jobs left by someone else. I'd
especially like to recognize:

* the local team who worked on logistics near the end, especially
Marek, Anna & Lukasz
* the non-local team who worked on logistics near the end, especially
Austin, Finne & SJ
* Manuel, for organizing streaming that worked!
* James, for helping a great deal from the WMF side; and Sara, for
managing the WMF's scholarships program
* Jacek, for organizing a great program under chaotic circumstances,
and the whole program reviewing team
* Juliana for all her work getting the team organized and managing
events, especially the concert
* Marcin, for leading the whole thing from start to finish

Every Wikimania has a ton of people who help with some discrete aspect
of making the conference happen. Whether their tasks are small or
large, these people rarely get publicly thanked simply because there
are so many of them. I am thinking of people like Lukasz's friend, who
made a last-minute trip to Ikea that resulted in us having couches. Or
the group of volunteers working on translation and the registration
desk, many of whom were not Wikimedians but simply interested people
from the local area who were recruited through a city volunteering
program. And there are many who had a more profound (but still mostly
invisible at the conference itself) role: for instance, the staff of
the Baltic Philharmonic, who went out of their way to make the space
awesome; the members of Wikimedia Polska who organized their
scholarship effort; and many of the Wikimedians who helped work on the
bid in the first place, believing in Gdansk as a lovely city for
Wikimania. I cannot thank everyone in these groups by name; but I
would like to recognize Wikimania as a true team effort, a hugely
complex task that is one of the most difficult things community
members do from year to year. And I can say from experience that
people involved in conference organization tend to focus on the
mistakes and bad parts afterwards -- so thanks to attendees for
showing your appreciation, and to everyone involved in organizing
Wikimania for doing your part to make this crazy event happen.

best,
Phoebe

p.s. I did take notes during the 'future of Wikimania' session on
Sunday; but they are currently locked away on a computer that has a
burnt-out power supply. I'll post these notes when I can, and will
also write about our ideas for conference documentation for the
future: as Juliana notes, communication is key, not just between
members of any given Wikimania team, but from year to year as well.

<at> gmail.com *