smtp server integration in MediaWiki

mwu.mailbox at gmail

Jul 2, 2006, 6:04 PM

smtp server integration in MediaWiki

Hi all,

I installed Mediawiki in a LAN environment. I specified the internal
Microsoft smtp server in the "php.ini" to send out emails. However,
the mails were not sent out although the local smtp server is
listening on port 25. I do not really know what the problem is and
would appreciate any help.

The computer is directly connected to a router and has an internal IP
(192.168.x.x). The Wiki is running on Apache 2 on port 8080. The smtp
server is listening on port 25 (IIS 5).

Thanks for your help.

Mei

datahead4 at gmail

Jul 2, 2006, 7:01 PM

Re: smtp server integration in MediaWiki [In reply to]

You haven't given many details here to help out in troubleshooting.
Are there any errors showing in the Apache log? Does the SMTP log
even show a connection attempt when a mail is (supposed to be) sent?

I do have a short write-up available at
http://www.datahead.org/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Setup_Information#Email_Settings
that documents how I was able to get MediaWiki 1.5.x and 1.6.x to send
email on a Windows-based server. Perhaps something there can help
you.

On 7/2/06, Mei Wu <mwu.mailbox [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed Mediawiki in a LAN environment. I specified the internal
> Microsoft smtp server in the "php.ini" to send out emails. However,
> the mails were not sent out although the local smtp server is
> listening on port 25. I do not really know what the problem is and
> would appreciate any help.
>
> The computer is directly connected to a router and has an internal IP
> (192.168.x.x). The Wiki is running on Apache 2 on port 8080. The smtp
> server is listening on port 25 (IIS 5).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mei

simon at castortech

Jul 4, 2006, 1:07 PM

Re: smtp server integration in MediaWiki [In reply to]

Hi Matt,

Since I was also having SMTP problems, I followed your link.

Found out that I had to modify the ini_set line to include the PEAR
directory.

My Wiki can finally send emails!

Thanks a lot for the tip!

Simon

You haven't given many details here to help out in troubleshooting.
Are there any errors showing in the Apache log? Does the SMTP log
even show a connection attempt when a mail is (supposed to be) sent?

I do have a short write-up available at
http://www.datahead.org/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Setup_Information#Email_Sett
ings
that documents how I was able to get MediaWiki 1.5.x and 1.6.x to send
email on a Windows-based server. Perhaps something there can help
you.

mwu.mailbox at gmail

Jul 4, 2006, 3:58 PM

Re: smtp server integration in MediaWiki [In reply to]

Hi,

I have installed Mediawiki 1.6.7 and I can't find the ini_set line.
There is only one ini_set line which is commented to set the
"memory_limit". I copied the line

ini_set( "include_path",
".:$IP:$IP/includes:$IP/languages:/usr/local/share/pear" );

in there and changed it to my PEAR directory F:\pear. However, now I
get errors that wiki cannot include other things:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening
required 'includes/SkinTemplate.php'
(include_path='.:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki/includes:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki/languages:/php/pear')
in F:\wamp\www\mediawiki\skins\MonoBook.deps.php on line 8

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Mei

On 7/4/06, Simon Renshaw <simon [at] castortech> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Since I was also having SMTP problems, I followed your link.
>
> Found out that I had to modify the ini_set line to include the PEAR
> directory.
>
> My Wiki can finally send emails!
>
> Thanks a lot for the tip!
>
> Simon

datahead4 at gmail

Jul 4, 2006, 9:17 PM

Re: smtp server integration in MediaWiki [In reply to]

Windows uses a different separator between each item in the list of
paths to search. If I remember correctly, you'll have to change each
of the : characters to ; and the path set should work properly.

On 7/4/06, Mei Wu <mwu.mailbox [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Mediawiki 1.6.7 and I can't find the ini_set line.
> There is only one ini_set line which is commented to set the
> "memory_limit". I copied the line
>
> ini_set( "include_path",
> ".:$IP:$IP/includes:$IP/languages:/usr/local/share/pear" );
>
> in there and changed it to my PEAR directory F:\pear. However, now I
> get errors that wiki cannot include other things:
>
> Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening
> required 'includes/SkinTemplate.php'
> (include_path='.:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki/includes:F:\wamp\www\mediawiki/languages:/php/pear')
> in F:\wamp\www\mediawiki\skins\MonoBook.deps.php on line 8
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mei
>

> On 7/4/06, Simon Renshaw <simon [at] castortech> wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > Since I was also having SMTP problems, I followed your link.
> >
> > Found out that I had to modify the ini_set line to include the PEAR
> > directory.
> >
> > My Wiki can finally send emails!
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the tip!
> >
> > Simon

mwu.mailbox at gmail

Jul 7, 2006, 4:39 AM

Re: smtp server integration in MediaWiki [In reply to]

Hi all,

thanks for your help. The mail server is now running on my local host
and send out emails. The problem was, that the port was blocked by my
AntiVirus program. I opened it and now everything is fine.

Best,
Mei