Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files

dima at ils

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files

Hello, Mark. I continue the testing.
At the attempt to load a long text file ( 4M +), the wiki suggested, that
the file size should not exceed 2048K. (And did not save).
At the attempt to save part of that file (some of order of 1.8M) the
following message is observed:

Database error
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the
software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "Revision::insertOn". Database returned error "2006:
MySQL server has gone away (127.0.0.1)".

Actually, the MySQL does not seem to go away:
the mediawiki respons other requests.
Who sends such a message: MySQL or MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ?
Did you try to save a long page with MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ?

mah at everybody

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On 05/05/2013 10:19 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> "2006: MySQL server has gone away (127.0.0.1)".

A quick web search turns up this solution from StackOverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10474922/error-2006-hy000-mysql-server-has-gone-away

max_allowed_packet=64M

Adding this line into my.cnf file solves my problem.

So it looks like an error that you can solve by changing a MySQL setting.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity
is reason. Poets do not go mad; but chess-players do.
-- G.K. Chesterson

dima at ils

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On Sun, 5 May 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 05/05/2013 10:19 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
>> "2006: MySQL server has gone away (127.0.0.1)".
> A quick web search turns up this solution from StackOverflow
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10474922/error-2006-hy000-mysql-server-has-gone-away
> max_allowed_packet=64M
> Adding this line into my.cnf file solves my problem.
> So it looks like an error that you can solve by changing a MySQL setting.

Mark, thank you for the explanation; it solves the part of the problem.
(mysql shold be stopped and then started in order to see the effect.)
Now I can load 2,048 kilobytes
instead of 1,024 kilobytes at the previous setting.
But still I have message

Error: The text you have submitted is 2,424 kilobytes long, which is
longer than the maximum of 2,048 kilobytes. It cannot be saved.

There are hints at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads
it suggests:

$wgUploadSizeWarning = 2147483648;
$wgMaxUploadSize = 2147483648;
Also, modify the following lines in PHP.INI:
memory_limit = 2048M (this line may not be necessary)
post_max_size = 2048M
upload_max_filesize = 2048M

As I understand, the lines with dollars refer to LocalSettings.php
and the PHP.INI refers to
/private/etc/php.ini
I have edited these two files, but still I have the same error message.
Perhaps, there is at least one more lock I cannot find.

mah at everybody

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On 05/07/2013 07:15 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> I have edited these two files, but still I have the same error message.
Did you restart apache after editing php.ini?

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On 05/07/2013 07:15 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> Error: The text you have submitted is 2,424 kilobytes long, which is
> longer than the maximum of 2,048 kilobytes. It cannot be saved.
>
> There are hints at
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads

Why are you trying to create wikipages that are so large? Also, you're
looking in the wrong place. The error doesn't come from uploading a
file but from editing a wikipage. The message is longpageerror (which
you can see at
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/h/index.php/MediaWiki:Longpageerror) and is
displayed when you attempt to create an article longer than
$wgMaxArticleSize (see:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgMaxArticleSize).

Before increasing the size, though, you should think about how many wiki
pages you anticipate being that long.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

Tue, 07 May 2013 08:14:47 -0400 From: Mark A. Hershberger
>Did you restart apache after editing php.ini?
No. I even do not know how to restart apache.

Tue, 07 May 2013 08:27:59 -0400
>Why are you trying to create wikipages that are so large?
Because you have created the good and powerful instrument,
and I have plans to use this tool far away from the usual
area of the application.
(One of the "crazy ideas" is to make the artificial intellect
from the mediawiki, Mathematica, and the google search engine,
with minimal connectors in PHP and C++.
The poorly optimized programs in Mathematica often create the
large notebooks. Yet, I do not need them, but I need to know
the limits of the abilities of the software I use.)

Tue, 07 May 2013 08:38:38 -0400
>.. http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/h/index.php/MediaWiki:Longpageerror
The ErrorMessage says:
Error: The text you have submitted is
1kilobyteslong,whichislongerthanthemaximumof2 kilobytes.
It cannot be saved.

It looks strange: why 1K is declared to be longer than 2K ?
This would be good for the novel by George Orwell,
but not for science.

>..(see: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgMaxArticleSize).
Good! At the bottom of LocalSettings.php, I have added line
$wgMaxArticleSize = 8388608;
then, I already have saved the test article longer than 2M.
This seems to be the key I was looking for. Thank you very much!
(In few days I'll check, how robust and stable is it.)

>Before increasing the size, though, you should think about
>how many wiki pages you anticipate being that long.
At the testing, only few pages.
If I advance writing bots, some millions;
perhaps, they will not be for the reading by humans.
Yet, it is a little bit SciFi,
but few 8 years ago, superfunctions were also SciFi.

mah at everybody

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On Tue 07 May 2013 10:50:41 PM EDT, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:

>> .. http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/h/index.php/MediaWiki:Longpageerror
>
> The ErrorMessage says:
> Error: The text you have submitted is
> 1kilobyteslong,whichislongerthanthemaximumof2 kilobytes.
> It cannot be saved.
>
> It looks strange: why 1K is declared to be longer than 2K ?
> This would be good for the novel by George Orwell,
> but not for science.

It says "$1 kilobytes" and "$2 kilobytes", not "1 kilobytes" and "2
kilobytes". The messages are used by the code and $1 and $2 stand for
the first and second arguments passed when the message is displayed.
This makes the wiki able to display these messages in whatever language
the user has selected.

See
https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=MediaWiki:Longpageerror/kab&action=edit
for an example of how these messages can be translated to other languages.

> At the bottom of LocalSettings.php, I have added line
> $wgMaxArticleSize = 8388608;
> then, I already have saved the test article longer than 2M.
> This seems to be the key I was looking for. Thank you very much!
> (In few days I'll check, how robust and stable is it.)

Please do not fail to report back your findings.

Mark.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: Long files [In reply to]

On Wed, 8 May 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> It looks strange: why 1K is declared to be longer than 2K ?
> It says "$1 kilobytes" and "$2 kilobytes", not "1 kilobytes"..
Ah, I understand, this is joke by MathJax. In a page with a PHP code,
the MathJax should be suppressed.

>.. display these messages in whatever language the user has selected.
> https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=MediaWiki:Longpageerror/kab&action=edit
> for an example of how these messages can be translated to other languages.
I look for the suppression of the other languages in the menu and
messages; only pages may be in various languages. If the menu suddenly
(for example, by some unoatner press of some key) changes to some language
of tribe Umgu-Jumbu, then it is very difficult to recover the default.
I had such an accident with Mathematica, and I would not like MediaWiki to
have the same trap.

> Please do not fail to report back your findings.
I describe the customization at
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/c/index.php/Wo:About
although I think this could be done better.
Is this a correct place to load my report?
Shuold I upload there aslo the modification of skins/vector ?
(I could not make copy of vector, so, I modify the canonical skin)

dima at ils

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 ..: cloning a old wiki with new version of Mediawiki [In reply to]

On Wed, 8 May 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Please do not fail to report back your findings.
Mark, I continue to make new "findings" and report them.

Today, I made some duplicate of site http://tori.ils.uec.ac.jp/TORI
(desconnected by decision of Hitoki Yoneda, director);
the duplicate is at http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/TORID
and some functins do not work well there. For example, figure
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/TORID/index.php/File:Tetsheldonmap03.png
does not show.
I tried to upload the plot again, and got the diagnostics
Internal error
[1f5fe00e] 2013-05-13 12:25:43:
Fatal exception of type UploadStashFileException

I upload the same image to
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/c/index.php/File:Tetsheldonmap03.png
At c, no problems.

About http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/TORID :
I have dumped the database from old wiki and
loaded it to server mizugadro; and
I had copied the shell files and images as
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/TORI
But the result does not work at all, it shows the empty frame.

Then I made new wiki from MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 package at
http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/TORID
and gave it the same database, and made the symbolik link to the images.
The result is usable, but some functions tail.

It seemed to me, that, while copying a wiki,
the only database should be dumped and the file with images should be
copied; the other staff should be taken from the distribution of
mediawiki, as the old copy does not work at another computer.
Now I see, there are still some tricks I have to understand.
This is intermediate report, I keep trying.