SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data

kevin6241 at gmail

Feb 25, 2013, 5:50 AM

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data

when I type 'cat /var/spool/mail/$myUserName', I found something seems
useful:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.25.26]:
550-5.7.1 [MY IP ADDR] Our system has detected an unusual rate of
550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.
550-5.7.1 Please visit http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to
review
550 5.7.1 our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. xr1si11727041pbc.309 - gsmtp

what should I do to fix it? Does adding a SPF record work?

csteipp at wikimedia

Feb 25, 2013, 7:43 AM

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data [In reply to]

SPF can help, and is easy to setup.

If you are already blocked by an individual provider (google in this case),
then you usually have to contact them directly and let them know what
you've done to make sure your domain isn't going to spam again. Also check
and make sure your domain isn't on any of the collaborative blacklists.
On Feb 25, 2013 5:50 AM, "xuyao" <kevin6241 [at] gmail> wrote:

> when I type 'cat /var/spool/mail/$myUserName', I found something seems
> useful:
>
> SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
> host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.25.26]:
> 550-5.7.1 [MY IP ADDR] Our system has detected an unusual rate of
> 550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
> 550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.
> 550-5.7.1 Please visit http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to
> review
> 550 5.7.1 our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. xr1si11727041pbc.309 - gsmtp
>
> what should I do to fix it? Does adding a SPF record work?

mah at everybody

Feb 25, 2013, 8:19 AM

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data [In reply to]

I really doubt SPF is going to help you since the message you're getting
seems to indicate that they are responding to spam complaints. This
indicates people have been marking emails from your server as spam.
That would override any SPF record.

Google is notorious for not setting up any sort of feedback loop
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback_loop_%28email%29) so there is no
way to see what sort of emails you are sending that people are marking
as spam -- but their notoriety in this regard may only extend to me.

That said, make sure that the emails you are sending out contain clear
instructions on how to disable any email.

Assuming the emails that caused this Google block originate from
MediaWiki, it would be best if you could modify the emails to put
something at the top to let people know they are getting this because
they signed up for email notices on your wiki and how they can disable
them. (Unfortunately I don't know how you could do that since I haven't
looked into that yet.)

But do read http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html and take the
precautions it mentions. SPF is one, DKIM is another, but a clear way
to disable email is a third.

Finally, verify that the security of your system hasn't been compromised
and no one is using it to spam people.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
-- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

kevin6241 at gmail

Feb 26, 2013, 3:36 AM

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data [In reply to]

于 2013年02月26日 00:19, Mark A. Hershberger 写道:
> I really doubt SPF is going to help you since the message you're getting
> seems to indicate that they are responding to spam complaints. This
> indicates people have been marking emails from your server as spam.
> That would override any SPF record.
>
> Google is notorious for not setting up any sort of feedback loop
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback_loop_%28email%29) so there is no
> way to see what sort of emails you are sending that people are marking
> as spam -- but their notoriety in this regard may only extend to me.
>
> That said, make sure that the emails you are sending out contain clear
> instructions on how to disable any email.
>
> Assuming the emails that caused this Google block originate from
> MediaWiki, it would be best if you could modify the emails to put
> something at the top to let people know they are getting this because
> they signed up for email notices on your wiki and how they can disable
> them. (Unfortunately I don't know how you could do that since I haven't
> looked into that yet.)
>
> But do read http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html and take the
> precautions it mentions. SPF is one, DKIM is another, but a clear way
> to disable email is a third.
>
> Finally, verify that the security of your system hasn't been compromised
> and no one is using it to spam people.

I think you are right. After SPF record is activated, I tried again to
send emails to my several email account. All of the mails are rejected
with the same reason. How can a fix it? I only use the email system of
mediawiki to send new users' password to them by email. ( I closed the
sign up because there are so many bots signed and publish ads) I am a
newbie to run a website and i really don't know what to do.

emufarmers at gmail

Feb 26, 2013, 5:58 AM

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data [In reply to]

I can't be sure, since you redacted your IP, but my guess is that you're on
a shared host, and the IP you're on (which you share with dozens or
hundreds of other sites) is blocked. If so, your host might be able to
transfer you to a different IP, or you might have to move to a different
host to resolve the issue.

kevin6241 at gmail

Feb 26, 2013, 6:15 AM

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data [In reply to]

It's on a KVM VPS (BuyVM).