So How can realize, that the signs are getting included aswell?

Your help is highly appreciated

amir.aharoni at mail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to include special signs in my new 1.19 Mediawiki
> installation, but they are showing not right. I have 200 *.doc files which
> need to be indexed all into one MW Installation.
>
> http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/ooantyz5.jpg

How are these signs written in the doc files? Are they Unicode
characters or are they Latin letters disguised by some "dingbats"
font? What happens if you select such a character and change the font
to Times New Roman? If it turns to a simple Latin letter, then you
have two choices:
1. Convert the characters to the corresponding Unicode characters.
2. Upload them as-is, and put a <span style="font-family: 'DINGBATS
FONT NAME'>CHARACTER</span> on each character.

If they already are Unicode characters, the problem may be in the way
you import the files. What do you use to import them into the wiki?

uv22ealcott at googlemail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

Hello,

when i change the font of the document, nothing happens. The signs keep the
way they are.

I dont use an import tool. I just did copy and paste the documents.

Which import tool do you recommend?

thank you so much!
:)

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:

> 2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to include special signs in my new 1.19 Mediawiki
> > installation, but they are showing not right. I have 200 *.doc files
> which
> > need to be indexed all into one MW Installation.
> >
> > http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/ooantyz5.jpg
>
> How are these signs written in the doc files? Are they Unicode
> characters or are they Latin letters disguised by some "dingbats"
> font? What happens if you select such a character and change the font
> to Times New Roman? If it turns to a simple Latin letter, then you
> have two choices:
> 1. Convert the characters to the corresponding Unicode characters.
> 2. Upload them as-is, and put a <span style="font-family: 'DINGBATS
> FONT NAME'>CHARACTER</span> on each character.
>
> If they already are Unicode characters, the problem may be in the way
> you import the files. What do you use to import them into the wiki?

Frank.Ralf at gmx

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

Hi Isabell,

> I dont use an import tool. I just did copy and paste the documents.
> Which import tool do you recommend?
You might find http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Editing_using_open_office useful.

hth
Frank

amir.aharoni at mail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

Isabel wrote:
> I dont use an import tool. I just did copy and paste the documents.

What do you actually see? What do you mean by "showing not right"? Do
you see question marks, squares, gibberish, other letters or just
nothing?

>> Which import tool do you recommend?
> You might find http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Editing_using_open_office useful.

Note that in the latest version of LibreOffice, exporting to MediaWiki
doesn't work. The bug is reported to LibreOffice developers and will
hopefully be fixed soon, but I can't promise anything. You may try an
older version.

There are plug-ins for Microsoft Word that allow exporting directly
from Microsoft Word to MediaWiki format, although I'm not familiar
with them. They probably won't be perfect, but they might work. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:WordToWiki

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

uv22ealcott at googlemail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

Hello and thank you! But when I change the Wordpress file into a *.txt
File, the many signs go away and change to other signs.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Frank Ralf <Frank.Ralf [at] gmx> wrote:

> Hi Isabell,
>
> > I dont use an import tool. I just did copy and paste the documents.
> > Which import tool do you recommend?
> You might find
> http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Editing_using_open_officeuseful.
>
> hth
> Frank

amir.aharoni at mail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>:
> Hello and thank you! But when I change the Wordpress file into a *.txt
> File, the many signs go away and change to other signs.

Which signs?

If you can give an example like "the smiley changes to the letter X",
it will be easier to solve.

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

sorr,y I mean, when i change the *.doc file into a *.txt file, all the
special signs go away.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Isabell Alcott
<uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Hello and thank you! But when I change the Wordpress file into a *.txt
> File, the many signs go away and change to other signs.
>
> Your help is highly appreciated.
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Frank Ralf <Frank.Ralf [at] gmx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Isabell,
>>
>> > I dont use an import tool. I just did copy and paste the documents.
>> > Which import tool do you recommend?
>> You might find
>> http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Editing_using_open_officeuseful.
>>
>> hth
>> Frank

uv22ealcott at googlemail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

here is an example:

Open Office normal: http://s7.directupload.net/images/120508/ok3l4icb.jpg

Open Office with TXT File:
http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/98iddlfw.jpg

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>:
> here is an example:
>
> Open Office normal: http://s7.directupload.net/images/120508/ok3l4icb.jpg
>
> Open Office with TXT File:
> http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/98iddlfw.jpg

Hmm, it looks like the characters are corrupted by Word or OpenOffice
before they reach MediaWiki, so there isn't much that we can do here.

You can try to copy it directly from Word to MediaWiki (Ctrl-C,
Ctrl-V), but that will probably have formatting issues, too. Importing
from other document formats to MediaWiki is not fully supported, at
least now.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

smolensk at eunet

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

On 08/05/12 12:46, Isabell Alcott wrote:
> here is an example:
>
> Open Office normal: http://s7.directupload.net/images/120508/ok3l4icb.jpg
>
> Open Office with TXT File:
> http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/98iddlfw.jpg

You are using a font with non-standard characters. If you really need
the little signs, the only solution is to upload each of them with an
image, upload them to your wiki, then replace them with inline images in
the text.

uv22ealcott at googlemail

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

well,

mediawiki does not even add the simpliest arrows or signs when i delete any
kind of formatting or fonts.

here a result when i use a TXT Version of my text.

http://s1.directupload.net/images/120508/pttzm4ph.jpg

Re: Signs in Mediawiki [In reply to]

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott [at] googlemail>:
> well,
>
> mediawiki does not even add the simpliest arrows or signs when i delete any
> kind of formatting or fonts.
>
> here a result when i use a TXT Version of my text.
>
> http://s1.directupload.net/images/120508/pttzm4ph.jpg

They are simple only according to Microsoft Word. It uses a
proprietary format and it's hard hard to import information from it.
MediaWiki uses Unicode, which is an open standard.

"F081" is a private use character according to Unicode. This basically
means that it has no standard usage. Microsoft uses them sometimes for
various things which are hard to decipher, because the format is
secret, so MediaWiki can't do much with it.

Word is a popular and important format, of course, and I wish that
there was a good import filter, but currently there isn't.