why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki?

mikkelsen.kaare at gmail

why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki?

Hi, when I try to use

----------
{{ {{{|safesubst:}}}ifsubst |<includeonly>{{subst:Unsubst|Citation needed|
name|{{{name|瑌}}|reason|{{{reason|瑌}}|
date|{{{date|{{subst:CURRENTMONTHNAME}} {{subst:CURRENTYEAR}}}}}
}}</includeonly>|
{{Fix
|name={{{name|Citation needed}}}
|link=Wikipedia:Citation needed
|text=citation needed
|class=Template-Fact
|title=This claim needs references to reliable sources
|date={{{date|}}}
|cat=[[Category:All articles with unsourced statements]]
|cat-date=Category:Articles with unsourced statements
}}

}}
-----------

which is copied directly from wikipedia, and which works perfectly in my
wikipedia sandbox, all I get at my own wiki is (in red):

Template:Ifsubst<http://www.phaust.dk/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Ifsubst&action=edit&redlink=1>

We are using Mediawiki 1.17.0, if that makes any difference. I've tried
searching for various things on the mediawiki-wiki, but it all seems to be
standard commands?

I hope some one can clear it up :)

Kaare

amir.aharoni at mail

Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [In reply to]

Because you also need to copy to your wiki all the templates that this
template uses. You can see a list of them under the editing window.

This is one of the most unfortunate limitations of MediaWiki - the
templates are very powerful, but very hard to maintain and to migrate
from wiki to wiki.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni 路 讗指诪执讬专 讗直诇执讬砖讈指注 讗址讛植专讜止谞执讬
http://aharoni.wordpress.com

2012/5/7 kaare mikkelsen <mikkelsen.kaare [at] gmail>:
> Hi, when I try to use
>
> ----------
> {{ {{{|safesubst:}}}ifsubst |<includeonly>{{subst:Unsubst|Citation needed|
> name|{{{name|卢}}}|reason|{{{reason|卢}}}|
> date|{{{date|{{subst:CURRENTMONTHNAME}} {{subst:CURRENTYEAR}}}}}
> }}</includeonly>|
> {{Fix
> |name={{{name|Citation needed}}}
> |link=Wikipedia:Citation needed
> |text=citation needed
> |class=Template-Fact
> |title=This claim needs references to reliable sources
> |date={{{date|}}}
> |cat=[[Category:All articles with unsourced statements]]
> |cat-date=Category:Articles with unsourced statements
> }}
>
> }}
> -----------
>
> which is copied directly from wikipedia, and which works perfectly in my
> wikipedia sandbox, all I get at my own wiki is (in red):
>
> Template:Ifsubst<http://www.phaust.dk/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Ifsubst&action=edit&redlink=1>
>
> We are using Mediawiki 1.17.0, if that makes any difference. I've tried
> searching for various things on the mediawiki-wiki, but it all seems to be
> standard commands?
>
> I hope some one can clear it up :)
>
> Kaare

Platonides at gmail

Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [In reply to]

On 07/05/12 17:09, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> Because you also need to copy to your wiki all the templates that this
> template uses. You can see a list of them under the editing window.

You can go to Special:Export, provide the template(s) you wish to
export, and tick 'Include templates' to transitively download them.

nischayn22 at gmail

Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [In reply to]

This is one of the most unfortunate limitations of MediaWiki - the

> templates are very powerful, but very hard to maintain and to migrate
> from wiki to wiki.

Agreed. Can we have an extension that manages all templates?
It could be like a library of templates, only now they can be easily
imported to other wikis.

--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata