Does a brand new custom user group have default rights ? Or should these rights be defined ?

courriel_achevrier at yahoo

Does a brand new custom user group have default rights ? Or should these rights be defined ?

Hello all,
We have created a new user group.

Should this new user group has default minimum rights or has this new user group no right defined at all and they have to be defined ?

Is there a sort of cascade of rights : an anonymous become "user autoconfirmed", and then "user emailconfirmed" with default rights of "user" group: edit, move, etc ... A user defined as belonging to a "incubators" group by administrator in "user right management" page (in special page), will have "user" group rights + "incubators" rights ?

As a result, the right "move" from a namespace-one to an other namespace-two, is not allowed to the user who became "incubators", when "incubators" group has the right to "play" in the namespace.

We did this creation of new user group across the definition of a new custom namespace:
$wgNamespaceProtection[NS_INCUB] = array( 'incub-edit' ); # right 'incub-edit" is required to "play" in INCUB namespace

$wgGroupPermissions['incubators']['incub-edit'] = true; # "incubators" has "incub-edit" right which give the right to "play" in INCUB space
Antoine

brion at pobox

Re: Does a brand new custom user group have default rights ? Or should these rights be defined ? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM, HiddenId <courriel_achevrier [at] yahoo>wrote:

> Hello all,
> We have created a new user group.
>
> Should this new user group has default minimum rights or has this new user
> group no right defined at all and they have to be defined ?

Unless rights are assigned to the group in $wgGroupPermissions, the group
will not confer any rights to its members.

> Is there a sort of cascade of rights : an anonymous become "user
> autoconfirmed", and then "user emailconfirmed" with default rights of
> "user" group: edit, move, etc ... A user defined as belonging to a
> "incubators" group by administrator in "user right management" page (in
> special page), will have "user" group rights + "incubators" rights ?

Users are in some number of groups, some implied ('*' for everyone, 'user'
for all accounts, 'autoconfirmed' for accounts that have matched the
autoconfirmed criteria) and perhaps some explcit ('sysop', etc).

The user ends up with the union of rights conferred by all their groups.

As a result, the right "move" from a namespace-one to an other
> namespace-two, is not allowed to the user who became "incubators", when
> "incubators" group has the right to "play" in the namespace.
>
> We did this creation of new user group across the definition of a new
> custom namespace:
> $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_INCUB] = array( 'incub-edit' ); # right
> 'incub-edit" is required to "play" in INCUB namespace
>
> $wgGroupPermissions['incubators']['incub-edit'] = true; # "incubators" has
> "incub-edit" right which give the right to "play" in INCUB space

Not sure offhand how $wgNamespaceProtection works, though that sounds
feasible?

-- brion

courriel_achevrier at yahoo

Re : Does a brand new custom user group have default rights ? Or should these rights be defined ? [In reply to]

Thank a lot Brion for your sympathetic help,

From what we understand to your returns, that would mean we should detail the rights we would like to assign to the group "incubators" we have created. Until those rights are not detailed, that means "incubators" group members will have no rights at all, except the rights coming from "union of rights" acquired elsewhere by the user who receive the "incubators" group membership.
In our example, the fact we did not give a right "edit" to "incubators" group members, implies "incubators" group members can not "edit" - nor anything else - in namespace for which they have permissions - here, INCUB namespace. That would explain why a user belonging to "incubator" group can not edit or move a page in INCUB namespace, wouldnt it ?

Antoine