Template sharing question

jfoster81747 at gmail

Template sharing question

I'm wondering if there has been any suggestion to set up a template
sharing area in Mediawiki, or all Mediawiki based sites similar to
instant commons. I have noticed that there are a LOT of us , me included
that use the templates from other sites. I certainly don't have the
skill to write them myself so I usually just copy & paste them. However
if they are upgraded by the authors, I don't usually get the updates. It
seems this would be especially helpful to those maintaining translated
sites. I realize this would not work for all templates as it doesn't for
all media in commons. I use some original media & some from instant
commons. Template sharing should work just as easily, & it would assist
in growing Wikipedia more quickly.
Any thoughts??

jamie at thingelstad

Re: Template sharing question [In reply to]

I had bought mediawikicookbook.com and put a wiki up on it with specifically this idea... I never got time to do it and let the domain expire a couple of days ago. I'd be up for putting it back up and hosting it if a few others wanted to help build out a cookbook of templates...

I specifically was looking at a lot of Semantic MediaWiki templates.

Interested? Ping me..

On Apr 27, 2012, at 8:38 AM, John W. Foster wrote:

> I'm wondering if there has been any suggestion to set up a template
> sharing area in Mediawiki, or all Mediawiki based sites similar to
> instant commons. I have noticed that there are a LOT of us , me included
> that use the templates from other sites. I certainly don't have the
> skill to write them myself so I usually just copy & paste them. However
> if they are upgraded by the authors, I don't usually get the updates. It
> seems this would be especially helpful to those maintaining translated
> sites. I realize this would not work for all templates as it doesn't for
> all media in commons. I use some original media & some from instant
> commons. Template sharing should work just as easily, & it would assist
> in growing Wikipedia more quickly.
> Any thoughts??

Jamie Thingelstad
jamie [at] thingelstad
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

jfoster81747 at verizon

Re: Template sharing question [In reply to]

I'm up for helping, but as I said I usually just copy the ones I want &
modify them to a generic status. I would certainly be willing to upload
the completed generic ones to Mediawikicookbook or any where else that
will work. I was actually thinking of maybe trying to get Mediawiki to
host them or figuring out a way to make them work from Wikimedia
commons. Just seems to me to be a worthwhile venture & I do not find any
reason to have specific website info in a template. That should all be
in the /doc subpage if you want that. I dont expect that there is an
extension developed for this but I figure we could adapt one that is
used for other media from or anyone with experience that may be of
assistence. Let me know. I will help. Perhaps "Instant Templates" ??

> I had bought mediawikicookbook.com and put a wiki up on it with specifically this idea... I never got time to do it and let the domain expire a couple of days ago. I'd be up for putting it back up and hosting it if a few others wanted to help build out a cookbook of templates...
>
> I specifically was looking at a lot of Semantic MediaWiki templates.
>
> Interested? Ping me..
>
> On Apr 27, 2012, at 8:38 AM, John W. Foster wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if there has been any suggestion to set up a template
> > sharing area in Mediawiki, or all Mediawiki based sites similar to
> > instant commons. I have noticed that there are a LOT of us , me included
> > that use the templates from other sites. I certainly don't have the
> > skill to write them myself so I usually just copy & paste them. However
> > if they are upgraded by the authors, I don't usually get the updates. It
> > seems this would be especially helpful to those maintaining translated
> > sites. I realize this would not work for all templates as it doesn't for
> > all media in commons. I use some original media & some from instant
> > commons. Template sharing should work just as easily, & it would assist
> > in growing Wikipedia more quickly.
> > Any thoughts??

jamie at thingelstad

Re: Template sharing question [In reply to]

I put a wiki instance up for this.

http://mediawikicookbook.com/wiki/Main_Page

The idea is to share templates in a well documented manner that is easy to share with others.

This is in it's infancy, but if you want create an account and add some templates. We'll figure out the overall categories and structure of the wiki as we go.

Cheers,

Jamie