About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site

xu.925 at buckeyemail

About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site

Hi guys,

Currently I'm working on a wiki site (of course based on media wiki). My
boss's requirement is creating a MFC dialog like input tool for him to
add formatted information to the site. E.g. adding a publication, there
will be place for adding title, author, time, location and other misc.
information on each widget.

It's an easy job if I can load my php code to the server, unfortunately
I cannot. The IT department only allows me to edit via the wiki
interface but not access the server side. The best they can do is that
they will install standard wiki extension for me. Then I googled online
and found semantic form extension and simpleform extension. Again,
unfortunately, the latter one is out of update, which is considered as
"unsafe" component to the IT department and the former requires a
semantic mediawiki site installed which, they don't want to reinstall. I
got my hand cuffed here. Please, anyone who gives a comment or
suggestion is deeply appreciated.

531
Zichen "Frank" Xu
Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Ohio State University

Jan at Bytesmiths

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

> From: Frank Xu <xu.925 [at] buckeyemail>
>
> It's an easy job if I can load my php code to the server, unfortunately
> I cannot. The IT department only allows me to edit via the wiki
> interface but not access the server side.

That's pretty heavy-handed.

Can you run it from a workgroup server, or even your boss's desktop machine? Or does IT have the keys to ALL the computers?

I'd think a machine on your LAN would be adequately firewalled to make IT feel better about it.

> ... found semantic form extension and simpleform extension.

Those would be my choices.

See if your boss has enough "pull" to run a well-firewalled "development" server on your LAN for such things.

----------------
An economist is someone who, upon encountering an auditorium filled with 40,000 destitute, unemployed people and Bill Gates, says, "On average, I see a room full of millionaires!" -- JWS

xu.925 at buckeyemail

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

Thanks Jan.
That's the only two ways that I can find. But it seems that both ways
are hard to step on due to the constrains.
The server is owned by IT but no one else is allowed to touch it.
I cannot even log onto that server, not even mention to manipulate files
on that machine.

The semantic forms require the website to be a Semantic MediaWiki
installation but the current one is not.

But I think we engineers are also working under heavy constrains to find
a proper solution, right? Anyone has
a better idea?

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

> From: Frank Xu <xu.925 [at] buckeyemail>
>
> The server is owned by IT but no one else is allowed to touch it.

I'm not sure you understood my suggestion, or perhaps I don't understand your needs.

You refer to "the server." Is it necessary that the forms reside on "the server?" Or could it reside on, for example, your own desktop computer?

It is very simple to download and set up your own MediaWiki server.

That way, you could have complete control over what extensions you install.

I see two reasons you might not want to do this:

1) IT will allow no unauthorized servers on your LAN, or

2) the forms you need to build must be on "the server" owned by IT for some reason -- sharing data outside the firewall, for example.

----------------
Only women in the Iroquois tribe could vote on most issues. As a result, decisions regarding relations with other tribes were more often made in the context of "What will work for our children?" rather than "Who wins?" or considerations of pride, power, or conquest. -- Thom Hartmann

xu.925 at buckeyemail

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

I'm sorry if I didn't state my questions clearer. The wiki site is in
the server hold by IT department. It is handled by
the IT department and the only interface is the browser interface. About
the forms, I think they shall be a part of the wiki site? I cannot do it
on my own server as you said it is unauthorized.

On 4/26/2012 11:57 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: Frank Xu<xu.925 [at] buckeyemail>
>>
>> The server is owned by IT but no one else is allowed to touch it.
> I'm not sure you understood my suggestion, or perhaps I don't understand your needs.
>
> You refer to "the server." Is it necessary that the forms reside on "the server?" Or could it reside on, for example, your own desktop computer?
>
> It is very simple to download and set up your own MediaWiki server.
>
> That way, you could have complete control over what extensions you install.
>
> I see two reasons you might not want to do this:
>
> 1) IT will allow no unauthorized servers on your LAN, or
>
> 2) the forms you need to build must be on "the server" owned by IT for some reason -- sharing data outside the firewall, for example.
>
> ----------------
> Only women in the Iroquois tribe could vote on most issues. As a result, decisions regarding relations with other tribes were more often made in the context of "What will work for our children?" rather than "Who wins?" or considerations of pride, power, or conquest. -- Thom Hartmann
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

531
Zichen "Frank" Xu
Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Ohio State University

Platonides at gmail

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

On 25/04/12 19:38, Frank Xu wrote:
> Thanks Jan.
> That's the only two ways that I can find. But it seems that both ways
> are hard to step on due to the constrains.
> The server is owned by IT but no one else is allowed to touch it.
> I cannot even log onto that server, not even mention to manipulate files
> on that machine.
>
> The semantic forms require the website to be a Semantic MediaWiki
> installation but the current one is not.
>
> But I think we engineers are also working under heavy constrains to find
> a proper solution, right? Anyone has
> a better idea?

If you have sysop access to the wiki, you could build the form using
javascript in MediaWiki:Common.js
Given your constraints, that seems an alternative.

xu.925 at buckeyemail

Re: About creating dialog like input tool for my wiki site [In reply to]

Thanks for the hints. I'm looking at it now.