Plus-character in file names prevent thumbnail creation

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

g.m.hagedorn at gmail

Plus-character in file names prevent thumbnail creation

We cannot get thumbnails rendered for media file names that contain a
plus sign (+). The error we see is: "Error generating thumbnail - The
source file for the specified thumbnail does not exist." (but the
original file is there).

We found a web discussion of the problem, but without an solution. We
are using an Apache’s rewrite to process thumbs upon usage (rather
than at page saving time). Is this the culprit? The WMF/Commons have
solved it, but we cannot find a copy of the Apache rewrite WMF is
using (and the problem may be elsewhere anyways).

Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?

--
Example Thumbnails that do not render:
* http://species-id.net/openmedia/File:Agrostis%2BMibora_sp_Sturm14.jpg

Technical details:
Our mediwiki $wgIllegalFileChars setting includes ":" and "&", no "+"
We use a debian 6 server with standard php, apache2, mysql and mediawiki 1.18.1.
--

Your help is much appreciated!

Andreas and Gregor