New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC

nischayn22 at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 9:20 AM

New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC

Hi,
I have made a Captcha plugin for ConfirmEdit called MCQ (Multiple Choice
Questions)
Below is the usage of it

sample Captcha:

Pick the correct Option Number

We pray to 1.Time 1.God 3.Lion 4.Tomato ?

Answer 2

Why Beneficial ?

* Bots don't have common sense

* No Images so loads faster

* Most Important - Good support for i18n

* Further plans to let the user just select the right option rather
than typing text

It is currently hosted on github at https://github.com/nischayn22/MCQCaptcha
.

This is my first Extension/Plugin so it may have many faults, my apologies
for that.
Please leave your comments
--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal
IRC nick- nischayn22

tor at wikia-inc

Mar 19, 2012, 9:39 AM

Re: New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM, nischay nahata <nischayn22 [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi,
> I have made a Captcha plugin for ConfirmEdit called MCQ (Multiple Choice
> Questions)

I admit that I am not up to date on the state of the art in captcha
cracking and image recognition, but... Has it advanced so far recently that
giving a bot a 25% chance of success (at 4 possible answers) is better than
hoping it doesn't crack the image?

Just sayin' ;)

--
Lucas 'TOR' Garczewski
Community Engineer

nischayn22 at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 9:48 AM

Re: New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC [In reply to]

2012/3/19 Ɓukasz Garczewski <tor [at] wikia-inc>

> I admit that I am not up to date on the state of the art in captcha
> cracking and image recognition, but... Has it advanced so far recently that
> giving a bot a 25% chance of success (at 4 possible answers) is better than
> hoping it doesn't crack the image?
>
> Just sayin' ;)

Thanks for your reply.
I have taken this in consideration, But images take a lot of time to load
and sometimes
ReCaptcha images are difficult for even humans to read, also i18n in this
feature is pretty
simple using Translatewiki.net which I think will be difficult for images
(not sure).
About the 25%, if the attacks are too much than we can go for images, but
otherwise why trouble humans?

--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal

s.mazeland at xs4all

Mar 19, 2012, 11:37 AM

Re: New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC [In reply to]

Op 19 mrt. 2012 om 09:48 heeft nischay nahata <nischayn22 [at] gmail> het volgende geschreven:

> i18n in this
> feature is pretty
> simple using Translatewiki.net

I think that this defeats the purpose. This would allow pre-programmed responses.

We're using QuestyCaptcha at translatewiki now because ReCaptcha got us some 10 spam accounts per day. QuestyCaptcha of course does not prevent interactive spam, but that's true for almost all captchas. Rate limiting reduces the rate at which damage is done a little more.

--
Siebrand Mazeland

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

nischayn22 at gmail

Mar 19, 2012, 7:11 PM

Re: New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC [In reply to]

Thanks for your replies, I realize this is a faulty plugin right now for
following reasons

* 25% probability
* securing the questions and answers

I will see if I can remove them, again this is my first plugin and I am
trying to learn
so my apologies :)

--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal

Jan at Bytesmiths

Mar 20, 2012, 8:45 AM

Re: New Plugin for Extension:ConfirmEdit - RFC [In reply to]

> Thanks for your replies, I realize this is a faulty plugin right now for
> following reasons

Neat idea, though, for the reasons you cite. I'm on a slow connection, and sometimes a CAPTCHA (off-site) holds up the entire page.

The evolution of the human race will not be accomplished in the ten thousand years of tame animals, but in the million years of wild animals, because man is and will always be a wild animal. -- Charles Galton Darwin