403 Forbidden

theevilipaddress at hotmail

Dec 25, 2010, 2:54 AM

403 Forbidden

Hi everyone,
since some two weeks or so, I have tried to install a working version of the trunk on my localhost that can be accessed with a web browser. I use a Ubuntu 10.04 with the GNOME desktop environment, so at first I've tried to install the mediawiki package from Synaptic, until I noticed that this is only MediaWiki 1.15.1, not sufficient for me. Setting this version up worked for me, i.e. there are no problems with the environment or the MySQL databases.
To get it working with the trunk, I have done these steps:
* Got the current version from SVN:svn checkout http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/ /var/www/wiki/* Opened http://localhost/wiki/config/index.php in my browser, which gave me the following error:Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /wiki/config/index.php
on this server.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80
Now I am wondering if you might be aware of the causes of this error and how to fix it. I'd be thankful for advice.
Cheers,

The Evil IP address

larsen.t at basicprogramming

Dec 25, 2010, 3:38 AM

Re: 403 Forbidden [In reply to]

Hello:

On 12/25/10, The Evil IP address <theevilipaddress [at] hotmail> wrote:
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /wiki/config/index.php
> on this server.

Are all the files in wiki/ owned by the proper user and group? You
might want to try:

chown www-data:www-data -R wiki/

or

chown apache:apache -R wiki/

depending on your configuration.

chmod 777 -R wiki/

might fix your problem, although it's not really ideal (*don't* use it
if you're on a system with multiple users).

Cheers,
Tom.

--
Thomas Larsen
http://basicprogramming.org

galtsev at kicp

Dec 25, 2010, 10:05 AM

Re: 403 Forbidden [In reply to]

Hello,

There also can be "security enhanced linux" interference. Try to turn
selinux off and see if the problem goes.

Valeri
On Sat, December 25, 2010 5:38 am, Thomas Larsen wrote:
> Hello:
>
> On 12/25/10, The Evil IP address <theevilipaddress [at] hotmail> wrote:
>> Forbidden
>> You don't have permission to access /wiki/config/index.php
>> on this server.
>
> Are all the files in wiki/ owned by the proper user and group? You
> might want to try:
>
> chown www-data:www-data -R wiki/
>
> or
>
> chown apache:apache -R wiki/
>
> depending on your configuration.
>
> chmod 777 -R wiki/
>
> might fix your problem, although it's not really ideal (*don't* use it
> if you're on a system with multiple users).
>
> Cheers,
> Tom.
>

> --
> Thomas Larsen