experience with blog extension

mgawinecki at gmail

Jul 1, 2008, 7:46 AM

experience with blog extension

We host description of our research work in form of Wiki, using
MediaWiki. I would like to start a blog inside of our Wiki, not on one
of publicly available blog hosting services, becuase we want to have
more control over the storage of data and uniform access to them
(through MediaWiki).

Can you suggest me any extension to MediaWiki which allows for having a
blog as one of Wiki pages ? What are your experience with existing
extensions ?

By blog I mean a single Wiki page, where:
* Entries are sorted by date of publication
* Under each entry there is a list of comments or a link to the
separate page with only commented entry and detailed list of
comments made to it

Thank you for your time,
Maciej

ml at juliano

Jul 1, 2008, 8:43 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Maciej Gawinecki wrote:
> Can you suggest me any extension to MediaWiki which allows for having a
> blog as one of Wiki pages ? What are your experience with existing
> extensions ?

I asked myself that question some time ago. There is this extension:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:My_blog

But it wasn't exactly what I expected. I didn't like the "one user <->
one blog" relationship. I wanted blogs to have their own names, and to
be part of the wiki as a whole, following the wiki philosophy, like
"many users <-> many blogs".

So, I started this extension:

http://svn.juliano.info/svn/mediawiki/extensions/Blog/trunk/

There are a lot of features missing for a blog, I never had time to
finish it, but it does what I expected:

- Blogs are part of the wiki, not user's pages.

- It follows wiki philosophy as far as possible: any user can post to
any blog, as long as it has edit permissions to the "Blog:" namespace;
if a user makes an inappropriate post, you just move or delete that
post's page; many users may collaborate to a single blog post.

- Blogs (and posts) in different languages are linked through language
interwiki links.

- Wiki categories are user for blog categories also.

If you want to see it in action:

http://juliano.info/en/Blog:Memory_Leak

Among the features that are currently missing for a basic blog is the
generation of RSS feeds (other than the builtin MediaWiki RSS feeds,
that are not exactly what is expected for a blog).

Feel free to use it if you want. It is open source, so if you (or anyone
here) want to contribute the missing features, it will be highly
appreciated. If there is enough interest in it, I may ask MediaWiki devs
to host it in MW's Subversion repository.

Best regards,
Juliano.

--
Juliano F. Ravasi ∑∑ http://juliano.info/
5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." -- Erin Majors

* NOTE: Don't try to reach me through this address, use "contact@" instead.

wilson.jim.r at gmail

Jul 1, 2008, 9:30 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

My blog[1] is based on MediaWiki. It is accomplished through page
transclusion and bulit on two extensions I created explicitly for this
purpose: WikiArticleFeeds[2] and ArticleComments[3].

It's by no means polished - but it does the job well enough for me.

[1] http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blog
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiArticleFeeds
[3] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticleComments

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Juliano F. Ravasi <ml [at] juliano> wrote:
> Maciej Gawinecki wrote:
>> Can you suggest me any extension to MediaWiki which allows for having a
>> blog as one of Wiki pages ? What are your experience with existing
>> extensions ?
>
> I asked myself that question some time ago. There is this extension:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:My_blog
>
> But it wasn't exactly what I expected. I didn't like the "one user <->
> one blog" relationship. I wanted blogs to have their own names, and to
> be part of the wiki as a whole, following the wiki philosophy, like
> "many users <-> many blogs".
>
> So, I started this extension:
>
> http://svn.juliano.info/svn/mediawiki/extensions/Blog/trunk/
>
> There are a lot of features missing for a blog, I never had time to
> finish it, but it does what I expected:
>
> - Blogs are part of the wiki, not user's pages.
>
> - It follows wiki philosophy as far as possible: any user can post to
> any blog, as long as it has edit permissions to the "Blog:" namespace;
> if a user makes an inappropriate post, you just move or delete that
> post's page; many users may collaborate to a single blog post.
>
> - Blogs (and posts) in different languages are linked through language
> interwiki links.
>
> - Wiki categories are user for blog categories also.
>
> If you want to see it in action:
>
> http://juliano.info/en/Blog:Memory_Leak
>
> Among the features that are currently missing for a basic blog is the
> generation of RSS feeds (other than the builtin MediaWiki RSS feeds,
> that are not exactly what is expected for a blog).
>
> Feel free to use it if you want. It is open source, so if you (or anyone
> here) want to contribute the missing features, it will be highly
> appreciated. If there is enough interest in it, I may ask MediaWiki devs
> to host it in MW's Subversion repository.
>
> Best regards,
> Juliano.
>

> --
> Juliano F. Ravasi ∑∑ http://juliano.info/
> 5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96
>
> "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." -- Erin Majors
>
> * NOTE: Don't try to reach me through this address, use "contact@" instead.

mgawinecki at gmail

Jul 3, 2008, 1:22 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Jim,

Ok. Thanks. I like your extension ArticleComments for its simplicity.

I have a question related to it. How can I put talks page (already made
comments) on the same page, under the article which is commented ?

Similary as you've done at

http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=ArticleComments_Test_Page

Best,
Maciej

Jul 3, 2008, 10:51 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

In the article page, put {{:Talk:{{PAGENAME}}. That tells MediaWiki to
"transclude" the talk page into this page.

Make sure that in the Talk page you put <noinclude></noinclude> around
anything you don't want to show in the main article.

-- Jim

dan_the_man at telus

Jul 4, 2008, 6:21 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Actually, you should probably be using {{ :{{TALKPAGENAME}} }} so that
it works correctly in things other than the main namespace as well.

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--Games-G.P.S. (http://ggps.org)
-And Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)

Jul 4, 2008, 8:50 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

> Actually, you should probably be using {{ :{{TALKPAGENAME}} }}

Well yeah - if you're on 1.7+ :)

-- Jim

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 8:21 AM, DanTMan <dan_the_man [at] telus> wrote:
> Actually, you should probably be using {{ :{{TALKPAGENAME}} }} so that
> it works correctly in things other than the main namespace as well.
>
> ~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
> -The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
> --It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
> --Games-G.P.S. (http://ggps.org)
> -And Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
>
> Jim R. Wilson wrote:
>> In the article page, put {{:Talk:{{PAGENAME}}. That tells MediaWiki to
>> "transclude" the talk page into this page.
>>
>> Make sure that in the Talk page you put <noinclude></noinclude> around
>> anything you don't want to show in the main article.
>>
>> -- Jim
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Maciej Gawinecki <mgawinecki [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> Ok. Thanks. I like your extension ArticleComments for its simplicity.
>>>
>>> I have a question related to it. How can I put talks page (already made
>>> comments) on the same page, under the article which is commented ?
>>>
>>> Similary as you've done at
>>>
>>> http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=ArticleComments_Test_Page
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Maciej

cwdillon at gmail

Jul 8, 2008, 8:25 AM

experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Juliano,
I like your approach to blogging in MW, but I'm even more curious about your
abbreviations tags, for example in the post about Mozilla Bookmarks to Wiki
(21 July 2006). I looked at the templates and tags, but saw no extension
controlling this on your Version page. Can you say how this is done? I
don't like the heavy java in the ToolTips extension. Your approach is more
like what I'm looking for.

CW

ml at juliano

Jul 9, 2008, 7:17 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Hello CW Dillon,

The magic involves changing core MediaWiki code. <abbr> and <acronym>
tags are blacklisted by default. You have to "unblacklist" them in
Sanitizer.php, and the rest is just template magic.

In Sanitizer.php, Sanitizer::removeHTMLtags() function, add 'abbr' and
'acronym' elements to the $htmlpairs array.

Then, in the same file, in Sanitizer::setupAttributeWhitelist(), find
the two "abbr" and "acronym" commented lines and replace them with:

'abbr' => $common,
'acronym' => $common,

After that, you will be allowed to use abbr and acronym tags in your
pages. Like this:

<abbr title="eXtensible Markup Language">XML</abbr>

I used some template magic to make this less tedious. There are
templates for each abbreviation and acronym, like {{XML}}, that expands
to, for example:

{{abbr|XML|eXtensible Markup Language}}

and {{abbr}} and {{acronym}} templates that expand to, respectively:

<abbr title="{{{2}}}">{{{1}}}</abbr>

<acronym title="{{{2}}}">{{{1}}}</acronym>

Regards,
Juliano.

--
Juliano F. Ravasi ∑∑ http://juliano.info/
5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." -- Erin Majors

* NOTE: Don't try to reach me through this address, use "contact@" instead.

danb at VistaPrint

Jul 9, 2008, 9:33 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Alternatively (without modifying core code), you could write parser-tag extensions that implement <abbr> and <acronym>.

DanB

The magic involves changing core MediaWiki code. <abbr> and <acronym>
tags are blacklisted by default. You have to "unblacklist" them in
Sanitizer.php, and the rest is just template magic.

ml at juliano

Jul 9, 2008, 11:53 AM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Daniel Barrett wrote:
> Alternatively (without modifying core code), you could write
> parser-tag extensions that implement <abbr> and <acronym>.

Yes, possible, but I wonder if the added bloat justifies. Every
extension installed adds a small performance impact upon every page
load, because extensions are included from LocalSettings.php.

In this specific case, I think that adding a configuration variable to
MediaWiki would make more sense: it is a very simple change that would
have almost no impact.

That is discussed in bug 671:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=671

--
Juliano F. Ravasi ∑∑ http://juliano.info/
5105 46CC B2B7 F0CD 5F47 E740 72CA 54F4 DF37 9E96

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." -- Erin Majors

* NOTE: Don't try to reach me through this address, use "contact@" instead.

sancelot at free

Sep 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

Re: experience with blog extension [In reply to]

Hi,
It rocks, but I put it for all pages using headerfooter, but the main
problem is for empty discussion, it is displayed the red link Talk:blahbkla

how to avoid displaying it talk is empty ?

Best Regards
steph