New User Registration With Email

zelulax at gmail

Dec 9, 2007, 3:54 AM

New User Registration With Email

Hi folks,

is there a way to make new users confirm their own account registration by
email (example: by clicking on a link within the email confirmation
message)? I want to prevent people from registering with fake email
addresses.

Thanks in advance!

Zelula

dan_the_man at telus

Dec 9, 2007, 4:17 AM

Re: New User Registration With Email [In reply to]

If you want your wiki to be only editable by those who have entered an
e-mail and confirmed it then:
Set the 'edit' privilege for '*' to false. And set it to true for
'emailconfirmed'. Then only users who have entered an e-mail and
confirmed it will be able to edit. (Though note that this will still
block editing by those who have not submitted any e-mail.)

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
-The Gaiapedia (http://gaia.wikia.com)
-Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
-and Wiki-Tools.com (http://wiki-tools.com)

zelulax wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is there a way to make new users confirm their own account registration by
> email (example: by clicking on a link within the email confirmation
> message)? I want to prevent people from registering with fake email
> addresses.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Zelula

zelulax at gmail

Dec 9, 2007, 4:37 AM

Re: New User Registration With Email [In reply to]

Thx Daniel for the quick reply! But I'm not sure what you mean with
"emailconfirmed". I don't have that option. Maybe you mean:

$wgEnableEmail = true;
$wgEnableUserEmail = true;

or

$wgEmailAuthentication = true;

???

And another stupid question, please: how do I delete a user?

Thanks again m8!

Zelula

On Dec 9, 2007 1:17 PM, DanTMan <dan_the_man [at] telus> wrote:

> If you want your wiki to be only editable by those who have entered an
> e-mail and confirmed it then:
> Set the 'edit' privilege for '*' to false. And set it to true for
> 'emailconfirmed'. Then only users who have entered an e-mail and
> confirmed it will be able to edit. (Though note that this will still
> block editing by those who have not submitted any e-mail.)
>
> ~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
> -The Gaiapedia (http://gaia.wikia.com)
> -Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
> -and Wiki-Tools.com (http://wiki-tools.com)
>
> zelulax wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > is there a way to make new users confirm their own account registration
> by
> > email (example: by clicking on a link within the email confirmation
> > message)? I want to prevent people from registering with fake email
> > addresses.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Zelula

dan_the_man at telus

Dec 9, 2007, 5:05 AM

Re: New User Registration With Email [In reply to]

The emailconfirmed and edit are permissions options:

$wgGroupPermissions['*' ]['edit'] = false; # Disallows editing by users.
$wgGroupPermissions['emailconfirmed']['edit'] = true; # Allows editing by those with confirmed e-mails.

That should work to force edits to only be allowed by logged in users
with a confirmed e-mail.

zelulax wrote:
> Thx Daniel for the quick reply! But I'm not sure what you mean with
> "emailconfirmed". I don't have that option. Maybe you mean:
>
> $wgEnableEmail = true;
> $wgEnableUserEmail = true;
>
> or
>
> $wgEmailAuthentication = true;
>
> ???
>
> And another stupid question, please: how do I delete a user?
>
> Thanks again m8!
>
> Zelula
>
> On Dec 9, 2007 1:17 PM, DanTMan <dan_the_man [at] telus> wrote:
>

>> If you want your wiki to be only editable by those who have entered an
>> e-mail and confirmed it then:
>> Set the 'edit' privilege for '*' to false. And set it to true for
>> 'emailconfirmed'. Then only users who have entered an e-mail and
>> confirmed it will be able to edit. (Though note that this will still
>> block editing by those who have not submitted any e-mail.)
>>
>> ~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of:
>> -The Gaiapedia (http://gaia.wikia.com)
>> -Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
>> -and Wiki-Tools.com (http://wiki-tools.com)
>>
>> zelulax wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> is there a way to make new users confirm their own account registration
>>>
>> by
>>
>>> email (example: by clicking on a link within the email confirmation
>>> message)? I want to prevent people from registering with fake email
>>> addresses.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Zelula

zelulax at gmail

Dec 9, 2007, 5:22 AM

Re: New User Registration With Email [In reply to]

Thanks! :-)