[Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken

cro0016 at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 4:36 AM

[Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken

So, I had a look at articles for creation today, and there was nearly 1,000 pending article submissions. Articles for creation has changed a lot since 2008 - it was of a similar structure to XFD - all submissions for a particular day were on one page, and people could come along and approve or reject based in certain criteria.

I think that system worked well. True, we have a lot more article creations, but I think it gave more visibility than the current system where everything is subpaged.

Some may think that the bar at AFC is set too high but this high bar discourages new users, especially when their submissions stay unreviewed for weeks at a time. And since editor retention is something we are trying to focus on, it seems a worthy project since many new users have their first experiences in AFC. The lack of volunteers in wikiprojects like AFC is not a new thing, so it's not that volunteers have reduced. I think we need to consider if AFC is something we still want to have, and if so, how can we improve it?

Steve Zhang

amir.aharoni at mail

Aug 17, 2012, 4:39 AM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken [In reply to]

For those who don't know what "Articles for Creation" is: It's a page
in the English Wikipedia. Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AFC

--
Amir

2012/8/17 Steven Zhang <cro0016 [at] gmail>:
> So, I had a look at articles for creation today, and there was nearly 1,000 pending article submissions. Articles for creation has changed a lot since 2008 - it was of a similar structure to XFD - all submissions for a particular day were on one page, and people could come along and approve or reject based in certain criteria.
>
> I think that system worked well. True, we have a lot more article creations, but I think it gave more visibility than the current system where everything is subpaged.
>
> Some may think that the bar at AFC is set too high but this high bar discourages new users, especially when their submissions stay unreviewed for weeks at a time. And since editor retention is something we are trying to focus on, it seems a worthy project since many new users have their first experiences in AFC. The lack of volunteers in wikiprojects like AFC is not a new thing, so it's not that volunteers have reduced. I think we need to consider if AFC is something we still want to have, and if so, how can we improve it?
>

> Steve Zhang

jayen466 at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 3:04 AM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken [In reply to]

I currently see 370 submissions pending. Does this mean that someone has
processed 700 articles since the beginning of this thread, or am I looking
at the wrong thing?

Andreas

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Steven Zhang <cro0016 [at] gmail> wrote:

> So, I had a look at articles for creation today, and there was nearly
> 1,000 pending article submissions. Articles for creation has changed a lot
> since 2008 - it was of a similar structure to XFD - all submissions for a
> particular day were on one page, and people could come along and approve or
> reject based in certain criteria.
>
> I think that system worked well. True, we have a lot more article
> creations, but I think it gave more visibility than the current system
> where everything is subpaged.
>
> Some may think that the bar at AFC is set too high but this high bar
> discourages new users, especially when their submissions stay unreviewed
> for weeks at a time. And since editor retention is something we are trying
> to focus on, it seems a worthy project since many new users have their
> first experiences in AFC. The lack of volunteers in wikiprojects like AFC
> is not a new thing, so it's not that volunteers have reduced. I think we
> need to consider if AFC is something we still want to have, and if so, how
> can we improve it?
>

> Steve Zhang

ktc at ktchan

Aug 19, 2012, 3:07 AM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken [In reply to]

On 19/08/2012 11:04, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> I currently see 370 submissions pending. Does this mean that someone has
> processed 700 articles since the beginning of this thread, or am I looking
> at the wrong thing?

More than one someone, but you're looking at the right thing.

KTC

- Heinrich Heine

jayen466 at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 3:48 AM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Articles for Creation broken [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Katie Chan <ktc [at] ktchan> wrote:

> On 19/08/2012 11:04, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>
>> I currently see 370 submissions pending. Does this mean that someone has
>> processed 700 articles since the beginning of this thread, or am I looking
>> at the wrong thing?
>>

> More than one someone, but you're looking at the right thing.

Sounds like the "someones" have done some hard volunteer work there ... and
are probably due some thanks.