[Wikimedia-l] Commons down

werespielchequers at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 2:50 PM

[Wikimedia-l] Commons down

After ten minute and three unsuccessful attempts to categorise an image via
Hotcat I've now got the following error message:

Request: GET
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Geograph_British_Isles_project_needing_categories_in_grid_SU1026,
from 91.198.174.56 via amssq33.esams.wikimedia.org (squid/2.7.STABLE9) to ()
Error: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD, errno (11) Resource temporarily unavailable at
Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:48 GMT

Normally Commons only goes down for a minute or so at a time, any one know
what the problem is this evening?

WSC

emijrp at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 2:52 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

Up in Spain.

2012/7/2 WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers [at] gmail>

> After ten minute and three unsuccessful attempts to categorise an image via
> Hotcat I've now got the following error message:
>
> Request: GET
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Geograph_British_Isles_project_needing_categories_in_grid_SU1026
> ,
> from 91.198.174.56 via amssq33.esams.wikimedia.org (squid/2.7.STABLE9) to
> ()
> Error: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD, errno (11) Resource temporarily unavailable at
> Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:48 GMT
>
> Normally Commons only goes down for a minute or so at a time, any one know
> what the problem is this evening?
>
> WSC

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 2:59 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

"Our servers are currently experiencing a technical problem." in Morocco.

Alex

2012/7/2 Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <emijrp [at] gmail>

> Up in Spain.
>
> 2012/7/2 WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers [at] gmail>
>
> > After ten minute and three unsuccessful attempts to categorise an image
> via
> > Hotcat I've now got the following error message:
> >
> > Request: GET
> >

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Geograph_British_Isles_project_needing_categories_in_grid_SU1026
> > ,
> > from 91.198.174.56 via amssq33.esams.wikimedia.org (squid/2.7.STABLE9)
> > ()
> > Error: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD, errno (11) Resource temporarily unavailable at
> > Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:48 GMT
> >
> > Normally Commons only goes down for a minute or so at a time, any one
> know
> > what the problem is this evening?
> >
> > WSC

> Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
> Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
> Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
> StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
> | WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
> WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
> | WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
> Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

morton.thomas at googlemail

Jul 2, 2012, 3:00 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

WP & Commons down here (UK).

Tom

On 2 July 2012 22:59, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov <
alexandrdmitriromanov [at] gmail> wrote:

> "Our servers are currently experiencing a technical problem." in Morocco.
>
> Alex
>

> 2012/7/2 Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <emijrp [at] gmail>
>
> > Up in Spain.
> >
> > 2012/7/2 WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers [at] gmail>
> >
> > > After ten minute and three unsuccessful attempts to categorise an image
> > via
> > > Hotcat I've now got the following error message:
> > >
> > > Request: GET
> > >

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Geograph_British_Isles_project_needing_categories_in_grid_SU1026
> > > ,
> > > from 91.198.174.56 via amssq33.esams.wikimedia.org (squid/2.7.STABLE9)
> > > ()
> > > Error: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD, errno (11) Resource temporarily unavailable
> at
> > > Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:48 GMT
> > >
> > > Normally Commons only goes down for a minute or so at a time, any one
> > know
> > > what the problem is this evening?
> > >
> > > WSC
> > >

> > --
> > Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
> > Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
> > Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
> > StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
> > | WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
> > WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
> > | WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
> > Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 3:00 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

Wikipedia is down for me. I suggest we swarm on to IRC in large
numbers - that always helps!

On 2 July 2012 22:50, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers [at] gmail> wrote:
> After ten minute and three unsuccessful attempts to categorise an image via
> Hotcat I've now got the following error message:
>
> Request: GET
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Geograph_British_Isles_project_needing_categories_in_grid_SU1026,
> from 91.198.174.56 via amssq33.esams.wikimedia.org (squid/2.7.STABLE9) to ()
> Error: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD, errno (11) Resource temporarily unavailable at
> Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:48 GMT
>
> Normally Commons only goes down for a minute or so at a time, any one know
> what the problem is this evening?
>
> WSC

svippy at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 3:02 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

On 3 July 2012 00:00, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:

> Wikipedia is down for me. I suggest we swarm on to IRC in large
> numbers - that always helps!

Indeed! I usually rush in and insult people behind various projects
before asking them for help, that is always a great way to make a good
first impression.

e.g. /join #httpd /say Why does Apache suck much? Also, I need some help.

bhartshorne at wikimedia

Jul 2, 2012, 5:06 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons down [In reply to]

For more information on the root cause of this outage see Leslie Carr's
description sent to wikitech-l:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2012-July/061599.html. The
way the routers were bouncing is the reason it was intermittent and
continued to work for some people while breaking for others.

-ben

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM, WereSpielChequers <