[Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC

philippe at wikimedia

Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM

[Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC

Recently, the Wikimedia Foundation was approached by the founders of an
organization called the Internet Defense League, which is soon to be
launched. The founders would like the Foundation to join the League.
However, the online community as a whole is the heart of this proposed
grassroots movement and therefore, the Foundation would like guidance from
the community as to whether or not the community feels the Foundation
should join this effort. Please let the Foundation know how you feel at <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Internet_Defense_League>.

Thanks!
pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

philippe [at] wikimedia

tom at tommorris

Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

On Thursday, 28 June 2012 at 18:30, Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> Recently, the Wikimedia Foundation was approached by the founders of an
> organization called the Internet Defense League, which is soon to be
> launched. The founders would like the Foundation to join the League.
> However, the online community as a whole is the heart of this proposed
> grassroots movement and therefore, the Foundation would like guidance from
> the community as to whether or not the community feels the Foundation
> should join this effort. Please let the Foundation know how you feel at <
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Internet_Defense_League>.

There's nothing wrong with the mission of defending the Internet.

But… holy moley, the NAME!

The best-known "defence league" these days is the English Defence League (EDL), which Wikipedia describes as "a far-right street protest movement which opposes what it considers to be the spread of Islamism, Sharia law and Islamic extremism in the United Kingdom". As the Wikipedia article describes, they have been associated with acts of violence and anti-social behaviour that have led to arrests.

Their standard modus operandi is to turn up in some minor provincial town in England, stir shit up, march around making prats of themselves and wasting considerable police time with minor acts of violence while talking a big game about stopping the spread of radical Islam.

A certain Anders Behring Breivik, he of killing-a-whole-bunch-of-Norwegian-teenagers fame, cited the EDL admiringly in his book-length manifesto.

To say the name is sub-optimal is a major understatement.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Jun 28, 2012, 2:46 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internet_Defense_League I wonder why
it was not deleted yet. considering that established artists and
doctors are speedily deleted, why not them?
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org

philippe at wikimedia

Jun 28, 2012, 2:55 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

Uhm, {{sofixit}}?
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

philippe [at] wikimedia

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail
> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internet_Defense_League I wonder why
> it was not deleted yet. considering that established artists and
> doctors are speedily deleted, why not them?
> mike
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Philippe Beaudette
> <philippe [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > Internet Defense League
>

> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Jun 28, 2012, 2:59 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

Well I am not a deletionist, I am just pointing out that there is a
very strange criteria for deletion on the wikipedia, that is why i
started the speedydeletion.wikia.com
mike

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippe [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Uhm, {{sofixit}}?
> ___________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Director, Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>
> philippe [at] wikimedia
>

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail
>> wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internet_Defense_League I wonder why
>> it was not deleted yet. considering that established artists and
>> doctors are speedily deleted, why not them?
>> mike
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <philippe [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> > Internet Defense League
>>

>> --
>> James Michael DuPont
>> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
>> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
>> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:04 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

On 28 June 2012 22:59, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail> wrote:
> Well I am not a deletionist, I am just pointing out that there is a
> very strange criteria for deletion on the wikipedia, that is why i
> started the speedydeletion.wikia.com

The article has several references to independent reliable sources
that specifically focus on the organisation, so it seems to meet the
General Notability Guideline.

alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

Could we keep this thread on topic please ?
Alex

2012/6/28 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>

> On 28 June 2012 22:59, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont [at] googlemail>
> wrote:
> > Well I am not a deletionist, I am just pointing out that there is a
> > very strange criteria for deletion on the wikipedia, that is why i
> > started the speedydeletion.wikia.com
>
> The article has several references to independent reliable sources
> that specifically focus on the organisation, so it seems to meet the
> General Notability Guideline.

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:17 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

On 28 June 2012 23:10, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov
<alexandrdmitriromanov [at] gmail> wrote:
> Could we keep this thread on topic please  ?

The thread has no topic. It was just an announcement pointing to the
RFC, all the discussion is taking place there. There's no harm in
re-purposing this thread to discuss a related topic.

alexandrdmitriromanov at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:25 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

I disagree. There is no need to hijack this thread and turn it into another
discussion about speedydeletion.wikia.com, when that thread already exists.
If, on the other hand, people wish to start a new debate on deletionism,
they can do so in another thread.

Alex

2012/6/28 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>

> On 28 June 2012 23:10, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov
> <alexandrdmitriromanov [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Could we keep this thread on topic please ?
>
> The thread has no topic. It was just an announcement pointing to the
> RFC, all the discussion is taking place there. There's no harm in
> re-purposing this thread to discuss a related topic.

nawrich at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:26 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov <
alexandrdmitriromanov [at] gmail> wrote:

> I disagree. There is no need to hijack this thread and turn it into another
> discussion about speedydeletion.wikia.com, when that thread already
> exists.
> If, on the other hand, people wish to start a new debate on deletionism,
> they can do so in another thread.
>
> Alex

I think we should debate what is and isn't thread hijacking, and when it
may or may not be appropriate.

thomas.dalton at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:32 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

On 28 June 2012 23:26, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> I think we should debate what is and isn't thread hijacking, and when it
> may or may not be appropriate.

The weather today in London was wonderful.

nemowiki at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 3:36 PM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Defense League RFC [In reply to]

Thomas Dalton, 29/06/2012 00:32:
> On 28 June 2012 23:26, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I think we should debate what is and isn't thread hijacking, and when it
>> may or may not be appropriate.
>
> The weather today in London was wonderful.

Also, this thread is a valuable example of what the Internet Defense
would concretely defend (yay circularity).

Nemo