Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong

deryckchan at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong

Dear all,

It has come to the attention of the Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong organizing
team that there may be confusion over the situation of internet censorship
in China and whether it affects Hong Kong. [1]

We would like to clarify that, although Hong Kong has been nominally part
of the People's Republic of China since 1997, the city-state of Hong Kong
retains complete independence over civilian affairs. This, of course, means
that internet regulation in Hong Kong is completely separate from that of
Mainland China, and therefore internet censorship in Mainland China (the
"Great Firewall of China", [2]) does not apply to Hong Kong.

We would like to reassure all Wikimedians, especially those considering to
attend Wikimania 2013, that *Wikipedia has never been censored in Hong Kong*.
Visitors to Hong Kong will enjoy, among other things such as exuberant
local cuisine and efficient public transport, uncensored internet
connection and unhindered access to Wikimedia projects.

We hope to see you all at Wikimania 2012 in Washington DC and Wikimania
2013 in Hong Kong.

With best wishes,
Deryck Chan
Global engagement coordinator
Wikimania 2013 organizing team / Wikimedia Hong Kong

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-05-07/News_and_notes
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

(cross-posted to wikimania-l, internal-l and wikimedia-l)

toddmallen at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> It has come to the attention of the Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong organizing
> team that there may be confusion over the situation of internet censorship
> in China and whether it affects Hong Kong. [1]
>
> We would like to clarify that, although Hong Kong has been nominally part
> of the People's Republic of China since 1997, the city-state of Hong Kong
> retains complete independence over civilian affairs. This, of course, means
> that internet regulation in Hong Kong is completely separate from that of
> Mainland China, and therefore internet censorship in Mainland China (the
> "Great Firewall of China", [2]) does not apply to Hong Kong.
>
> We would like to reassure all Wikimedians, especially those considering to
> attend Wikimania 2013, that *Wikipedia has never been censored in Hong Kong*.
> Visitors to Hong Kong will enjoy, among other things such as exuberant
> local cuisine and efficient public transport, uncensored internet
> connection and unhindered access to Wikimedia projects.
>
> We hope to see you all at Wikimania 2012 in Washington DC and Wikimania
> 2013 in Hong Kong.
>
> With best wishes,
> Deryck Chan
> Global engagement coordinator
> Wikimania 2013 organizing team / Wikimedia Hong Kong
>
> [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-05-07/News_and_notes
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall
>
> (cross-posted to wikimania-l, internal-l and wikimedia-l)

It is still disgraceful that WMF, an organization supposedly devoted
to free information, is implicitly supporting a regime that routinely
and as a matter of policy refuses free information flow to its
citizens. Hong Kong in particular may not do that, but Hong Kong is
part of China, and China does. China will receive money from this
event.

Perhaps Google and the like are concerned only with profit and will do
business in China regardless of ethical considerations, but WMF is a
nonprofit dedicated to the exact opposite of China's policies, and
should refuse to provide any monetary support for China until and
unless China removes all censorship from its population. The fact that
it has failed to do so, and is indeed implicitly supporting China, has
me strongly reconsidering both my editorial and monetary support.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

mingli.yuan at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

Hi, Todd and all,

I don't think WMF support any regime implicitly which censor the online
speech.

I am from Mainland China, I hate the censorship, I had did some small steps
to against it just as lots of our friends on Chinese Wikipedia.

The only thing I want to talk is that small changes are taking place in the
country, and the access of Wikimedia projects inside China will help the
process.

Be confident for the young people here.

Regards,
Mingli

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

Todd,
I'm afraid you've mistaken. Hong Kong is fiscally independent from the rest
of China, and not a single cent of the Hong Kong government's income is
passed on to the PRC government in Beijing.
Deryck

nawrich at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

This is a similar argument to those made against Egypt or Israel etc. It's
a facile and false notion that holding Wikimania in a particular city is an
implicit political endorsement for the national government of the host
city. You could just as easily interpret it in the opposite manner -
holding a Wikimania event in Egypt, Israel, China, the U.S. or elsewhere
supports knowledge liberalism and draws attention to the mission of the WMF
in the areas where it may be most poignant. More likely, the decision of
where to hold the event is made independent of political concerns and the
WMF, as well as the host Wikimedians, take no political positions implicit
or otherwise.

~Nathan

itzik at infra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

+1. I totally agree with Nathan.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:

> This is a similar argument to those made against Egypt or Israel etc. It's
> a facile and false notion that holding Wikimania in a particular city is an
> implicit political endorsement for the national government of the host
> city. You could just as easily interpret it in the opposite manner -
> holding a Wikimania event in Egypt, Israel, China, the U.S. or elsewhere
> supports knowledge liberalism and draws attention to the mission of the WMF
> in the areas where it may be most poignant. More likely, the decision of
> where to hold the event is made independent of political concerns and the
> WMF, as well as the host Wikimedians, take no political positions implicit
> or otherwise.
>
> ~Nathan

jamesofur at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

It does, at least at some level, seem to be an argument (usually from
different people) every Wikimania. There just isn't a way to have it in a
place that everyone is happy with (especially if you want to rotate around
the world. I'd also point remind people that among all of the places
Wikimania has been it's also been in Taiwan in 07. It has seemed to be much
better to do the selection non-politically (while not being shy about who
we are and what we believe).

James

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik [at] infra> wrote:

> +1. I totally agree with Nathan.
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > This is a similar argument to those made against Egypt or Israel etc.
> It's
> > a facile and false notion that holding Wikimania in a particular city is
> an
> > implicit political endorsement for the national government of the host
> > city. You could just as easily interpret it in the opposite manner -
> > holding a Wikimania event in Egypt, Israel, China, the U.S. or elsewhere
> > supports knowledge liberalism and draws attention to the mission of the
> WMF
> > in the areas where it may be most poignant. More likely, the decision of
> > where to hold the event is made independent of political concerns and the
> > WMF, as well as the host Wikimedians, take no political positions
> implicit
> > or otherwise.
> >
> > ~Nathan

richard.symonds at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

I must admit I had concerns, but they're allayed considerably by the
statement that HK is fiscally independent from the PRC. Hopefully having
such a free event in an area of the world where freedom of information is
in relatively short supply will do wonderful things for the movement and
the world!

Thank you to WMHK for clarifying things.

Richard Symonds
On May 10, 2012 11:47 PM, "James Alexander" <jamesofur [at] gmail> wrote:

> It does, at least at some level, seem to be an argument (usually from
> different people) every Wikimania. There just isn't a way to have it in a
> place that everyone is happy with (especially if you want to rotate around
> the world. I'd also point remind people that among all of the places
> Wikimania has been it's also been in Taiwan in 07. It has seemed to be much
> better to do the selection non-politically (while not being shy about who
> we are and what we believe).
>
> James
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik [at] infra> wrote:
>
> > +1. I totally agree with Nathan.
> >
> > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > > This is a similar argument to those made against Egypt or Israel etc.
> > It's
> > > a facile and false notion that holding Wikimania in a particular city
> is
> > an
> > > implicit political endorsement for the national government of the host
> > > city. You could just as easily interpret it in the opposite manner -
> > > holding a Wikimania event in Egypt, Israel, China, the U.S. or
> elsewhere
> > > supports knowledge liberalism and draws attention to the mission of the
> > WMF
> > > in the areas where it may be most poignant. More likely, the decision
> of
> > > where to hold the event is made independent of political concerns and
> the
> > > WMF, as well as the host Wikimedians, take no political positions
> > implicit
> > > or otherwise.
> > >
> > > ~Nathan

tom at tommorris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 22:49, Nathan wrote:
> This is a similar argument to those made against Egypt or Israel etc. It's
> a facile and false notion that holding Wikimania in a particular city is an
> implicit political endorsement for the national government of the host
> city. You could just as easily interpret it in the opposite manner -
> holding a Wikimania event in Egypt, Israel, China, the U.S. or elsewhere
> supports knowledge liberalism and draws attention to the mission of the WMF
> in the areas where it may be most poignant. More likely, the decision of
> where to hold the event is made independent of political concerns and the
> WMF, as well as the host Wikimedians, take no political positions implicit
> or otherwise.

As one of the people who worked on and supported the London bid, I agree. I would hope that if London had got it, people wouldn't have inferred support for the UK's planned internet censorship regime (or, indeed, the Digital Economy Act, the enormous and growing gap between the rich and poor, the presence of unelected clerics in our legislature—a trait we share only with Iran, our government's horrible mistreatment of disabled people, the lack of full civil equality for LGBT citizens, indoctrination in religious schools, our terrible libel laws, or seventeen other issues I can and do get angry about very frequently).

Spending a week or so in a country for a conference is not the same as living there, becoming a citizen, pledging allegiance to the flag or the Queen or the Party or whatever.

In the bidding process, there rightly are some minimum standards, specifically with regards to freedom of speech laws and whether or not the cities in question are welcoming to religious and LGBT minorities. If we wish to include anti-censorship as one of those requirements, it'd be worth knowing that up-front so Wikimedians who wish to bid in the future can take that into account rather than have it brought up after the bidding process is complete.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

ktc at ktchan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On 11/05/2012 00:14, Tom Morris wrote:

> In the bidding process, there rightly are some minimum standards,
> specifically with regards to freedom of speech laws and whether or not
> the cities in question are welcoming to religious and LGBT minorities.
> If we wish to include anti-censorship as one of those requirements,
> it'd be worth knowing that up-front so Wikimedians who wish to bid in the
> future can take that into account rather than have it brought up after
> the bidding process is complete.

If the community want to include anti-censorship (and or numerous other
possible complaints) as one of the requirements, then good luck finding
any city in the world to host Wikimania.

On 11/05/2012 00:07, Richard Symonds wrote:
> I must admit I had concerns, but they're allayed considerably by the
> statement that HK is fiscally independent from the PRC. Hopefully
> having such a free event in an area of the world where freedom of
> information is in relatively short supply will do wonderful things
> for the movement and the world!

Or one can just read [[Special administrative region]] (among other
related articles) and see "Currently, the two SARs of Hong Kong and
Macau are responsible for all issues except diplomatic relations and
national defence."

If people have a problem with one of the most multi-ethnic,
multicultural & number 1 ranked index of economic freedom place in the
world with constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech and press, then
I give up.........

KTC

- Heinrich Heine

anirudhsbh at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Katie Chan <ktc [at] ktchan> wrote:

> If people have a problem with one of the most multi-ethnic, multicultural
> & number 1 ranked index of economic freedom place in the world with
> constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech and press, then I give
> up.........

+1

Hong Kong is as free as it gets. :)

anirudh

kim at bruning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:23:58AM +0100, Katie Chan wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 00:14, Tom Morris wrote:
>
> > In the bidding process, there rightly are some minimum standards,
> > specifically with regards to freedom of speech laws and whether or not
> > the cities in question are welcoming to religious and LGBT minorities.
> > If we wish to include anti-censorship as one of those requirements,
> > it'd be worth knowing that up-front so Wikimedians who wish to bid in the
> > future can take that into account rather than have it brought up after
> > the bidding process is complete.
> >

> If the community want to include anti-censorship (and or numerous other
> possible complaints) as one of the requirements, then good luck finding
> any city in the world to host Wikimania.

Rejkyavik? :-)

sincerely,
Kim Bruning

kim at bruning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 03:46:20PM -0700, James Alexander wrote:
> It does, at least at some level, seem to be an argument (usually from
> different people) every Wikimania. There just isn't a way to have it in a
> place that everyone is happy with (especially if you want to rotate around
> the world. I'd also point remind people that among all of the places
> Wikimania has been it's also been in Taiwan in 07. It has seemed to be much
> better to do the selection non-politically (while not being shy about who
> we are and what we believe).

Right. My concern about Israel was that almost no one from the surrounding area would be
able to visit. (This turned out to be accurate, but it was too late to fix).

Will many people from surrounding countries be able to visit .hk without problems? If so,
that should be ok then.

That and I'm looking forward to visiting a place with sane border customs practices for a
change ;-)

sincerely,
kim Bruning

dgerard at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On 11 May 2012 21:10, Kim Bruning <kim [at] bruning> wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:23:58AM +0100, Katie Chan wrote:

>> If the community want to include anti-censorship (and or numerous other
>> possible complaints) as one of the requirements, then good luck finding
>> any city in the world to host Wikimania.

> Rejkyavik? :-)

+1 - where's the Icelandic bid!

- d.

ktc at ktchan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

On 11/05/2012 21:16, Kim Bruning wrote:

> Right. My concern about Israel was that almost no one from the surrounding area would be
> able to visit. (This turned out to be accurate, but it was too late to fix).
>
> Will many people from surrounding countries be able to visit .hk without problems? If so,
> that should be ok then.
>
> That and I'm looking forward to visiting a place with sane border customs practices for a
> change ;-)

While pretty much every countries from Europe, N&S America & Australasia
are visa free according to the bid page, a lot of Asian and Middle
Eastern countries would require visa. Even those places from where visa
would be required, they should be okay I believe. Ironically, the only
exception to that is if the person is from mainland China (PRC).

KTC

- Heinrich Heine

deryckchan at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong [In reply to]

Not a problem. Many east and south-east Asian countries' citizens enjoy
visa-free access to Hong Kong (
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HK_Visa_Policy.png ).

Visa-on-demand for business or leisure travel is also available for
residents of most major cities in mainland China and all of Guangdong
province (the province surrounding Hong Kong). Application needs to be done
prior to travel, but rejections of such visa is unheard of in the last few
years. I have relatives from Guangzhou who visit Hong Kong regularly on
these visas and they've never had a problem :)

That said, more complex procedures are needed for people from rural areas
of mainland China to visit Hong Kong. With our working partnerships in the
Meeting and Exhibition Office in the government, we endeavour to ensure
that every registered attendee of Wikimania 2013 gets the visa assistance
they need.

There are special visa for residents of Taiwan to visit Hong Kong. Other
than a few extraordinary cases involving high-profile controversial
politicians, rejection of such visa is also unheard of.

Deryck