[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

jdforrester at gmail

[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
excellent job.

There were five official bids: Bristol, Naples and Surakarta, as well
as the two finalists of Hong Kong and London[2]. The Jury and the
bidding teams discussed them in three public IRC meetings in April. We
determined that Hong Kong and London were the strongest contenders,
and decided to focus on these two as the finalists. After further
e-mail enquiries, and considering evaluation by Wikimedia Foundation
staff, a final, private meeting was held to reach a final decision.

The Jury was pleased by the high quality in both the final bids, and
required over three hours' discussion to reach the final verdict. We
considered each bid according to the criteria[3], focussing on
following factors: Venue, Program, Geo-location & Logistics, Local
Opportunities, Accommodations, Team & Chapter, and Budget & Finances.
We found consensus that the Hong Kong bid was the stronger, especially
because of their strong advance planning; solid support by the local
Wikimedia Chapter, the community, local government, and a partner
organisation that is experienced in planning conferences; and their
good combination of venue and accommodation.

The Jury has confidence that the Hong Kong bidding team will pull off
a magnificent Wikimania, and we are pleased for our global community
to return to Asia once again. With a motivated group of volunteers who
have experience in organizing smaller Wikimedia activities, and a
partner with experience in organizing larger-scale events, they have
found a good mix to create a successful conference. The Jury did also
identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
year.

We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
their submissions.

To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
Please, do join in the discussions.

Yours,

James Forrester
Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
For the Wikimania 2013 Jury

[0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
[1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
[2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
[3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
[4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester [at] wikimedia | jdforrester [at] gmail

kwadhwa at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong [In reply to]

Congratulations to Team Hong Kong!

Looking forward to dim sum in 2013 ;)

--Kul

meta.sj at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong [In reply to]

<
> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group

A standing community group that helps guide wikimania bids would be wonderful.
Let's make it happen! Are any of ths year's jurors interested in
being involved over the coming months in that sort of work?

SJ

shabab.mustafa at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong [In reply to]

Congratulations! Best wishes for Hong Kong. :)
---
Shabab Mustafa