Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Foundation

[Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder

 

 

Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


pbeaudette at wikimedia

May 1, 2012, 8:33 AM

Post #1 of 7 (196 views)
Permalink
[Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder

Office hours with Gayle Young, the WMF Chief Talent and Culture Officer, will begin in about 90 minutes in #wikimedia-office on the freeness IRC network. Logs will be posted at the conclusion.

See you there!


-----------------------------------
Philippe Beaudette

Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation Inc.

philippe [at] wikimedia

Sent from my iPad.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


tom at tommorris

May 1, 2012, 12:24 PM

Post #2 of 7 (192 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On the IRC front, I note that Sue last had an IRC office hours session on 13 March and there doesn't seem to be any scheduled sessions with Sue in May. Might it be an idea to have another office hours session with Sue soon?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


steven.walling at gmail

May 1, 2012, 12:32 PM

Post #3 of 7 (193 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Tom Morris <tom [at] tommorris> wrote:

> On the IRC front, I note that Sue last had an IRC office hours session on
> 13 March and there doesn't seem to be any scheduled sessions with Sue in
> May. Might it be an idea to have another office hours session with Sue soon?


I've currently got a suggestion in for Sue to have an office hours on 5/11,
we're just in the midst of scheduling. :)

Steven
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


risker.wp at gmail

May 2, 2012, 10:10 AM

Post #4 of 7 (194 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On 1 May 2012 15:32, Steven Walling <steven.walling [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Tom Morris <tom [at] tommorris> wrote:
>
> > On the IRC front, I note that Sue last had an IRC office hours session on
> > 13 March and there doesn't seem to be any scheduled sessions with Sue in
> > May. Might it be an idea to have another office hours session with Sue
> soon?
>
>
> I've currently got a suggestion in for Sue to have an office hours on 5/11,
> we're just in the midst of scheduling. :)
>
>

Have to say that the last several office hours (of varying nature) have all
been during "business/school hours" in the Americas - and in some cases for
(western) Europe/Africa as well - and the ones on the current schedule are
all pretty much in the middle of business hours for these regions. When so
many office hours are occurring within the same narrow time window, it
really limits the potential participation group to the same people all the
time, and risks becoming a walled garden. Please consider a more diverse
window for office hours in the future. And no, I don't expect that every
office hour be during a time that I'm available, but there's only been one
(out of fifteen) that occurred during the period where Wikimedians are most
active.

Risker/Anne
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


nawrich at gmail

May 2, 2012, 10:25 AM

Post #5 of 7 (190 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Risker <risker.wp [at] gmail> wrote:

>
> Have to say that the last several office hours (of varying nature) have all
> been during "business/school hours" in the Americas - and in some cases for
> (western) Europe/Africa as well - and the ones on the current schedule are
> all pretty much in the middle of business hours for these regions. When so
> many office hours are occurring within the same narrow time window, it
> really limits the potential participation group to the same people all the
> time, and risks becoming a walled garden. Please consider a more diverse
> window for office hours in the future. And no, I don't expect that every
> office hour be during a time that I'm available, but there's only been one
> (out of fifteen) that occurred during the period where Wikimedians are most
> active.
>
> Risker/Anne
> ________________________
>

That's a good point (that I think has been made and partially addressed in
the past), and I don't to detract from it at all, but let's also note the
difficulty of scheduling off-hours "office hours" for WMF staff members -
they participate during their own work day, which for US-based staff of
course means business hours in the Americas range.

~Nathan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


wikipedia at frontier

May 2, 2012, 10:39 AM

Post #6 of 7 (193 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On 5/2/2012 10:25 AM, Nathan wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Risker<risker.wp [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Have to say that the last several office hours (of varying nature) have all
>> been during "business/school hours" in the Americas - and in some cases for
>> (western) Europe/Africa as well - and the ones on the current schedule are
>> all pretty much in the middle of business hours for these regions. When so
>> many office hours are occurring within the same narrow time window, it
>> really limits the potential participation group to the same people all the
>> time, and risks becoming a walled garden. Please consider a more diverse
>> window for office hours in the future. And no, I don't expect that every
>> office hour be during a time that I'm available, but there's only been one
>> (out of fifteen) that occurred during the period where Wikimedians are most
>> active.
> That's a good point (that I think has been made and partially addressed in
> the past), and I don't to detract from it at all, but let's also note the
> difficulty of scheduling off-hours "office hours" for WMF staff members -
> they participate during their own work day, which for US-based staff of
> course means business hours in the Americas range.
Also a good point. That being said, as I understand it the office staff
are generally allowed a fairly flexible schedule, rather than being
locked into specific hours like a 9-to-5 workday. So I'd consider it a
generous gesture if some of them would occasionally use that flexibility
to arrange for IRC office hours to take place in other time windows.

--Michael Snow

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


sgardner at wikimedia

May 2, 2012, 12:12 PM

Post #7 of 7 (193 views)
Permalink
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours reminder [In reply to]

On 2 May 2012 10:10, Risker <risker.wp [at] gmail> wrote:

> Have to say that the last several office hours (of varying nature) have all
> been during "business/school hours" in the Americas - and in some cases for
> (western) Europe/Africa as well - and the ones on the current schedule are
> all pretty much in the middle of business hours for these regions.  When so
> many office hours are occurring within the same narrow time window, it
> really limits the potential participation group to the same people all the
> time, and risks becoming a walled garden.  Please consider a more diverse
> window for office hours in the future. And no, I don't expect that every
> office hour be during a time that I'm available, but there's only been one
> (out of fifteen) that occurred during the period where Wikimedians are most
> active.

People can help by filling out this Doodle. If a
sufficiently-geographically-representative group fills this out, that
will help us standardize on a few times that (among them) would work
for a large majority. Please share the link on IRC or wherever if you
like, to encourage broad-enough participation :-)

http://doodle.com/hnivrcvz3t5sf2gf

Thanks,
Sue

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
Wikimedia-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.