[Wikimedia-l] "Contribute" box on wikimediafoundation.org

z at mzmcbride

[Wikimedia-l] "Contribute" box on wikimediafoundation.org

Hi.

A few months ago I created "Template:Contribute" at
wikimediafoundation.org.[1] It displays above the edit window whenever a
logged out user presses the "Contribute" (previously "Edit") tab.

There were some concerns that this message was still too obscure, so I've
now implemented a "namespace notice" via a MediaWiki gadget. When viewing
any page in the Talk namespace, you'll now see the contents of
"Template:Contribute" below the page title. The relevant code can be found
here.[2]

MZMcBride

[1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Contribute
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-NamespaceNotice.js

risker.wp at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Contribute" box on wikimediafoundation.org [In reply to]

On 29 April 2012 22:53, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> A few months ago I created "Template:Contribute" at
> wikimediafoundation.org.[1] It displays above the edit window whenever a
> logged out user presses the "Contribute" (previously "Edit") tab.
>
> There were some concerns that this message was still too obscure, so I've
> now implemented a "namespace notice" via a MediaWiki gadget. When viewing
> any page in the Talk namespace, you'll now see the contents of
> "Template:Contribute" below the page title. The relevant code can be found
> here.[2]
>
> MZMcBride
>
> [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Contribute
> [2]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-NamespaceNotice.js
>
> MZM, do you think you could make it more clear where exactly the links go
to? It's not clear that it is taking the user to another project where his
message will be publicly accessible. I am familiar with one case where
someone clicked on one of those links, expecting that his message would go
directly to the WMF and not be publicly available on Meta. While there's
something to be said for users having to be net-savvy, I think we're all
just a little too used to open discussion on public forums, where there's
no telling who might decide to respond and put their two cents in.

Risker/Anne

church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Contribute" box on wikimediafoundation.org [In reply to]

On 04/30/2012 05:06 AM, Risker wrote:
> MZM, do you think you could make it more clear where exactly the links go
> to? It's not clear that it is taking the user to another project where his
> message will be publicly accessible. I am familiar with one case where
> someone clicked on one of those links, expecting that his message would go
> directly to the WMF and not be publicly available on Meta. While there's
> something to be said for users having to be net-savvy, I think we're all
> just a little too used to open discussion on public forums, where there's
> no telling who might decide to respond and put their two cents in.

Fixed:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3AEditnotice-0-Foundation_wiki_feedback&diff=3700930&oldid=3262052

Regards,
Tobias