Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons

emijrp at gmail

2012/4/24 Andrew Cates <andrew.cates [at] soschildren>

> I am wondering about releasing many hundreds of Africa educational videos
> under creative commons.
>
> They are the videos currently at www.our-africa.org which is a child
> generated reference site about Africa.
>
> There is a lot of material in the videos which could be edited and used to
> improve Wikipedia article (a solar kettle in operation, a maize plant
> grinding maize, a variety of musical instruments in use, different
> religious festivals, cocoa plantations etc etc)
>
> However at present Wikipedia does not seem to support or want video
> material.

Wikipedia supports video with [[Media:]] tag. Also, Wikimedia Commons has a
little collection of them https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video

> Does anyone have a feel whether this is likely to change?

http://www.videoonwikipedia.com

Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
(cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
some people can help you in the process.

> Andrew

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

emijrp at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons [In reply to]

Sorry, a missing S, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Videos

> Owner? Not personally but I am the CEO of the charity which owns them and
> I can release them.
>
> Is there any actual video anywhere on WP and in what format?

Yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Articles_containing_video_clips

The prefered format is Theora
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Video

> Andrew
and not just me)

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> 2012/4/24 Andrew Cates <andrew.cates [at] soschildren>
>>
>>> I am wondering about releasing many hundreds of Africa educational videos
>>> under creative commons.
>>>
>>> They are the videos currently at www.our-africa.org which is a child
>>> generated reference site about Africa.
>>>
>>> There is a lot of material in the videos which could be edited and used
>>> improve Wikipedia article (a solar kettle in operation, a maize plant
>>> grinding maize, a variety of musical instruments in use, different
>>> religious festivals, cocoa plantations etc etc)
>>>
>>> However at present Wikipedia does not seem to support or want video
>>> material.
>>>

>> Wikipedia supports video with [[Media:]] tag. Also, Wikimedia Commons has
>> a little collection of them
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video
>>

>>> Does anyone have a feel whether this is likely to change?
>>>

>> http://www.videoonwikipedia.com
>>
>> Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
>> (cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
>> some people can help you in the process.
>>

>>> Andrew
>>>

>> --
>> Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
>> Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
>> Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> | StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
>> | WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> | WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
>> | WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
>> Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

--
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

dgerard at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons [In reply to]

On 24 April 2012 13:26, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:

> Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
> (cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
> some people can help you in the process.

Well, not really - uploading video is still laborious because we've
been waiting literally years for the Timed Media Handler, which is a
wikitech issue. Andrew could probably deal with the ffmpeg2theora bit,
but it's still faffy and troublesome.

- d.

meta.sj at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons [In reply to]

Where's the latest thread on the Timed Media Handler progress?

I am meeting with MIT Open CourseWare tomorrow - they want to expand
the set of videos they released last year under CC-SA, starting with
categories / vids that would be fill gaps on Wikipedia. Any thoughts
on how to make that collaboration more effective would be welcome.

SJ

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 24 April 2012 13:26, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
>> (cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
>> some people can help you in the process.
>

> Well, not really - uploading video is still laborious because we've
> been waiting literally years for the Timed Media Handler, which is a
> wikitech issue. Andrew could probably deal with the ffmpeg2theora bit,
> but it's still faffy and troublesome.
>

> - d.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

emijrp at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons [In reply to]

2012/4/24 Samuel Klein <meta.sj [at] gmail>

> Where's the latest thread on the Timed Media Handler progress?
>
> I am meeting with MIT Open CourseWare tomorrow - they want to expand
> the set of videos they released last year under CC-SA, starting with
> categories / vids that would be fill gaps on Wikipedia. Any thoughts
> on how to make that collaboration more effective would be welcome.
>
> SJ

You can upload them to Internet Archive, if Wikipedia has temporal issues
with videos. When the problems are fixed, we can move them from Internet
Archive to Wikimedia Commons.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Release of educational videos under creative commons [In reply to]

Another example of a recent video donation
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Files_from_the_Australian_Broadcasting_Corporation