[Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia

hford at ushahidi

[Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia

Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:

What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At Wikipedia Academies etc?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Best,
Heather.

Heather Ford
Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
@hfordsa on Twitter
http://hblog.org

vandijk at wmnederland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Hello,

Myself, I have a presentation which shows a basic wiki principle; I
noticed that showing the same thing onwiki would make me jumping too
much from page to page.
Showing Wikipedia functionalities then onwiki I call "Wikipedia
surfing" (version history, talk pages etc.).
If it is a workshop with the intention to make people edit then I
create a "pseudo encyclopedia" on user subpages. That's a number of
simplified Wikipedia articles with hardly any markup. From article to
article, the complexity and amount of wikisyntax grows. The newbies in
groups of 2 correct the language and content (I put in some errors for
them).
I prefer that because editing real WP makes people anxious, and I want
to be undisturbed with the newbies.
Kind regards
Ziko

2012/4/11 Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:
> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>
> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At Wikipedia Academies etc?
>
> Thanks in anticipation :)
>
> Best,
> Heather.
>

> Heather Ford
> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
> @hfordsa on Twitter
> http://hblog.org

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

davidrichfield at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

> [.create some simple userspace articles for newbies to correct and edit]

Great idea, Ziko! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely do this when I
do some training.

--
David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]

hford at ushahidi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Thanks, Ziko. That's really interesting and sounds like an effective way of getting them started.

I'm curious what kinds of problems people contact you about when they start editing for real?

On Apr 12, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Myself, I have a presentation which shows a basic wiki principle; I
> noticed that showing the same thing onwiki would make me jumping too
> much from page to page.
> Showing Wikipedia functionalities then onwiki I call "Wikipedia
> surfing" (version history, talk pages etc.).
> If it is a workshop with the intention to make people edit then I
> create a "pseudo encyclopedia" on user subpages. That's a number of
> simplified Wikipedia articles with hardly any markup. From article to
> article, the complexity and amount of wikisyntax grows. The newbies in
> groups of 2 correct the language and content (I put in some errors for
> them).
> I prefer that because editing real WP makes people anxious, and I want
> to be undisturbed with the newbies.
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>

> 2012/4/11 Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:
>> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>>
>> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At Wikipedia Academies etc?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Heather.
>>

>> Heather Ford
>> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
>> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
>> @hfordsa on Twitter
>> http://hblog.org

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

Heather Ford
Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
@hfordsa on Twitter
http://hblog.org

chriskeatingwiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>
> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At
> Wikipedia Academies etc?

Have a look at the Outreach Bookshelf:
http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf

"Welcome to Wikipedia" is well-used by Wikimedia UK.

(And if anyone else has outreach materials, please do add them to the
Bookshelf)

Chris
Wikimedia UK

vandijk at wmnederland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Hello, I accompany people in real life mostly in an early phase, or I
supervise them in a way that the result is not problematic. How people
later survive onwiki on their own - I usually don't come to know. We
discussed this in Germany and thought that for privacy reasons we also
don't want follow people from the courses. If they later write me an
e-mail, I woudl know (I put a pile of business cards on my desk), but
this hardly ever happens.

We have booklets from WMDE (1x1, Wikimedia Commons), but frankly, I am
not very happy with them. For starters, they have no page numbers, so
you can't simple tell people to look at a certain page for a certain
code... we really need some good teaching aids, for specific lessons.

Kind regards
Ziko

sarah.stierch at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

There is also a ton of case studies and best practices developed by the
GLAM WIKI volunteers:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Get_started is a good place to
look for some inspiration and speaking points.

And Lori and the crew worked hard on the GLAM Bookshelf at the last
GLAMcamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/US/Bookshelf

While these might seem GLAM oriented, many of them overflow into basics
of editing and so forth.

-Sarah

On 4/12/12 6:08 PM, Chris Keating wrote:
>> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>>
>> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At
>> Wikipedia Academies etc?
>>

> Have a look at the Outreach Bookshelf:
> http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf
>
> "Welcome to Wikipedia" is well-used by Wikimedia UK.
>
> (And if anyone else has outreach materials, please do add them to the
> Bookshelf)
>
> Chris
> Wikimedia UK

*Sarah Stierch*
*/Wikimedia Foundation Community Fellow/*
>>Support the sharing of free knowledge around the world: donate today
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/><<

aude.wiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Am Apr 11, 2012 um 9:28 AM schrieb Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:

> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>
> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit
> Wikipedia? At Wikipedia Academies etc?

Here are some materials we have used at workshop, especially the one-
day workshop materials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop

Katie

> Thanks in anticipation :)
>
> Best,
> Heather.
>

> Heather Ford
> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
> @hfordsa on Twitter
> http://hblog.org

vandijk at wmnederland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Oh my god, I think I'll recommend the Germans to create a work group
to have a close look at all those materials. :-)
Thank's for the links
Ziko

2012/4/13 aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail>:
> Am Apr 11, 2012 um 9:28 AM schrieb Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:
>

>> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>>
>> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At
>> Wikipedia Academies etc?
>

> Here are some materials we have used at workshop, especially the one-day
> workshop materials:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop
>
> Katie
>

>> Thanks in anticipation :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Heather.
>>

>> Heather Ford
>> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
>> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
>> @hfordsa on Twitter
>> http://hblog.org

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

michael.peel at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

The training materials we used with the Cancer Research UK workshop are at:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Research_UK_Academy

User:Rockpuppet's training guide was really useful/crucial for that event, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rockpocket/Training

Thanks,
Mike

On 12 Apr 2012, at 23:34, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Oh my god, I think I'll recommend the Germans to create a work group
> to have a close look at all those materials. :-)
> Thank's for the links
> Ziko
>

> 2012/4/13 aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail>:
>> Am Apr 11, 2012 um 9:28 AM schrieb Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:
>>

>>> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>>>
>>> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At
>>> Wikipedia Academies etc?
>>

>> Here are some materials we have used at workshop, especially the one-day
>> workshop materials:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop
>>
>> Katie
>>

>>> Thanks in anticipation :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Heather.
>>>

>>> Heather Ford
>>> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
>>> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
>>> @hfordsa on Twitter
>>> http://hblog.org

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

hford at ushahidi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Thank you, Mike! Really helpful.

On Apr 13, 2012, at 12:42 AM, Michael Peel wrote:

> The training materials we used with the Cancer Research UK workshop are at:
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Research_UK_Academy
>
> User:Rockpuppet's training guide was really useful/crucial for that event, see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rockpocket/Training
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 12 Apr 2012, at 23:34, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
>
>> Oh my god, I think I'll recommend the Germans to create a work group
>> to have a close look at all those materials. :-)
>> Thank's for the links
>> Ziko

>>> Here are some materials we have used at workshop, especially the one-day
>>> workshop materials:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop
>>>
>>> Katie

>> --

>> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
>> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
>> http://wmnederland.nl/
>>
>> Wikimedia Nederland
>> Postbus 167
>> 3500 AD Utrecht

Heather Ford
Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
@hfordsa on Twitter
http://hblog.org

ntandon at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

Some tips, best practices and documents available here as well: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Outreach_Programs/Handbook

Thanks
Nitika

On 13-Apr-2012, at 4:04 AM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Oh my god, I think I'll recommend the Germans to create a work group
> to have a close look at all those materials. :-)
> Thank's for the links
> Ziko
>

> 2012/4/13 aude <aude.wiki [at] gmail>:
>> Am Apr 11, 2012 um 9:28 AM schrieb Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi>:
>>

>>> Have a quick question for some work I'm doing on Wikipedia literacy:
>>>
>>> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia? At
>>> Wikipedia Academies etc?
>>

>> Here are some materials we have used at workshop, especially the one-day
>> workshop materials:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop
>>
>> Katie
>>

>>> Thanks in anticipation :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Heather.
>>>

>>> Heather Ford
>>> Ethnographer: Ushahidi / SwiftRiver
>>> http://ushahidi.com | http://swiftly.org
>>> @hfordsa on Twitter
>>> http://hblog.org

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

patriciomolina at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] teaching people how to edit Wikipedia [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Heather Ford <hford [at] ushahidi> wrote:
> What resources are folks using to teach others how to edit Wikipedia?

In Wikimedia Argentina we've created "Wikipedia en el aula"[0] for our
workshops and talks. It was specifically oriented to teachers and
students, showing them how to edit and use Wikipedia's contents.

Regards,

[0] PDF: http://wiki.wikimedia.org.ar/images/pdf/wiki_para_armar2.pdf

--
Patricio Molina