[Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l

erik at wikimedia

[Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l

Hi all,

as promised, foundation-l is now wikimedia-l. Hopefully all the list
settings should have survived without any difference whatsoever except
for the list names. Archives should exist in both places, and only at
the wikimedia-l location going forward. foundation-l delivery should
be disabled.

The wikimedia-l mailing list address is <wikimedia-l [at] lists>.

I'll update a few wiki pages now, and will send a separate not about
the list description to see if we can agree on some simple revisions
to clarify/broaden its scope. But that's a distinct change that would
need to achieve consensus here first.

Please update your filters and contact lists accordingly.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Erik Möller

nawrich at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

Does the announce list forward correctly?

~Nathan

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as promised, foundation-l is now wikimedia-l. Hopefully all the list
> settings should have survived without any difference whatsoever except
> for the list names. Archives should exist in both places, and only at
> the wikimedia-l location going forward. foundation-l delivery should
> be disabled.
>
> The wikimedia-l mailing list address is <wikimedia-l [at] lists>.
>
> I'll update a few wiki pages now, and will send a separate not about
> the list description to see if we can agree on some simple revisions
> to clarify/broaden its scope. But that's a distinct change that would
> need to achieve consensus here first.
>
> Please update your filters and contact lists accordingly.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

erik at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> Does the announce list forward correctly?

I updated it earlier, so the reply-to should be correct.
--
Erik Möller

dgerard at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On 9 April 2012 21:57, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:

> Does the announce list forward correctly?

And should its name also be changed?

- d.

dgerard at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On 9 April 2012 21:55, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> as promised, foundation-l is now wikimedia-l. Hopefully all the list

Good one!

The "from" line still calls it the "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" :-)

- d.

erik at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
> The "from" line still calls it the "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" :-)

Just fixed that.

--
Erik Möller

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:
>> The "from" line still calls it the "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" :-)
>
> Just fixed that.

Excellent, thanks Erik for getting this done! This will be a positive
change, I hope (archive-breaks aside).

Though I will have to get out of the habit of calling it f-l now, I suppose...

best,
phoebe

thehelpfulonewiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

Great job on the archive surgery.
--
Thehelpfulone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

schneeschmelze at googlemail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

One more point: Your announcement has not yet appeared in the lists
archive at <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-April/thread.html>.

Thanks for changing the list's name.

Regards,
Jürgen.

nemowiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

Does the old adress redirect to the new one?

Nemo

thehelpfulonewiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On 9 April 2012 22:59, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> Does the old adress redirect to the new one?
>
> Nemo

Nope, you get a bounce back.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> Does the old adress redirect to the new one?

Currently the old list email address will bounce, and the old list URL
will give you a "foundation-l does not exist" message (whereas old
archive URLs will continue working).

Daniel's looking into having the old URL redirect to the new URL
(without overriding the archives) as a higher priority.

Archives should be fully working now.

Erik

--
Erik Möller

meta.sj at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

Nicely done. Thanks to Erik and al. SJ

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Does the old adress redirect to the new one?
>
> Currently the old list email address will bounce, and the old list URL
> will give you a "foundation-l does not exist" message (whereas old
> archive URLs will continue working).
>
> Daniel's looking into having the old URL redirect to the new URL
> (without overriding the archives) as a higher priority.
>
> Archives should be fully working now.
>
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

erik at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Currently the old list email address will bounce, and the old list URL
> will give you a "foundation-l does not exist" message (whereas old
> archive URLs will continue working).

The list URL should now redirect. [1]

Erik

[1] See https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#patch,sidebyside,4583,1,files/lighttpd/50-mailman.conf

--
Erik Möller

erik at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> The list URL should now redirect.

And, Daniel just implemented an alias as well [1], which I'm testing
by responding using the foundation-l address. (I promise this'll be
the last meta note for a while if all's working!)

Erik

[1] See https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#patch,sidebyside,4586,2,files/exim/exim4.listserver_aliases.conf

--
Erik Möller

nemowiki at gmail

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

Erik Moeller, 10/04/2012 01:07:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Erik Moeller<erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> The list URL should now redirect.
>
> And, Daniel just implemented an alias as well [1], which I'm testing
> by responding using the foundation-l address. (I promise this'll be
> the last meta note for a while if all's working!)

Thank you. It's worth noting on
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Standardization>, where
the mailman admins are/were setting up some conventions and defining a
bunch of lists to be renamed, which will include Wikimedia-l given the
-l suffix to be removed according to those standards.

Nemo

erik at wikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] foundation-l is now wikimedia-l [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> Thank you. It's worth noting on
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Standardization>, where the
> mailman admins are/were setting up some conventions and defining a bunch of
> lists to be renamed, which will include Wikimedia-l given the -l suffix to
> be removed according to those standards.

Yeah, I'm aware of that page. I checked with Casey before going with
wikimedia-l. Given that the -l suffix is still in place with so many
lists, and given the pain involved in changing it, we agreed to keep
-l in place at least for root-level lists (project-level / meta-level,
like wikipedia-l, wikimedia-l and wikien-l), whereas new more
domain-specific lists are generally created without the -l suffix.

Erik

--
Erik Möller