The core group of editors at Wikitravel are interested in joining a WMF run
"Wiki Travel Guide". A proposal for creating such a project has been
outlined here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Travel_Guide and would
develop from the content currently at wikitravel.org

*Wikitravel is currently in 20 languages and in English contains more than
25,000 articles. The content is licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0. Site
readership statistics are not released by Internet Brands, but for travel
information the site is consistently highly ranked. It is the largest and
most popular freely-licensed, user-contributed travel guide collection.
Alexa.com ranks it as the 2637 most popular site on the web with a global
reach of 0.0602%. The interwiki links between Wikipedia and Wikitravel
highlight the close historic cooperation between the editors of both sites,
where users adding travelogue style content to Wikipedia have often been
directed to add the content to Wikitravel.

Benefits for the WMF:
1) Increase the scope of content offered by the WMF
2) Increase the number of Wikimedians
3) Increase the volume of content for fundraising
4) Provide a separate repository for important travel and tourism
information, some of which currently is contained within Wikipedia articles.

Benefits for travel content:
1) Reputation of the WMF would increase the editor base.
2) Remove the conflicts between the commercial decisions of the current
hosting provider and the community.
3) Would increase the reliability of the site, which is currently running
old MediaWiki versions, on poorly performing infrastructure.

Benefits for both:
1) Would make it easier for the two sites to direct editors to the better
site for the content in question, leading to better focus within articles.
2) Combining the image repositories at Wikimedia Commons would result in
greater and easier image availability for both Wikipedia and the travel
site, and an increase in both contributors and images.*

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

vandijk at wmnederland

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

Dear James,

In general the idea sounds interesting, and Wikitravel is certainly
one of the notable wiki community projects. But I am not sure whether
Wikitravel (or the content it provides) fit into the scope of
Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?

Kind regards
Ziko

2012/4/9 James Heilman <jmh649 [at] gmail>:
> The core group of editors at Wikitravel are interested in joining a WMF run
> "Wiki Travel Guide". A proposal for creating such a project has been
> outlined here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Travel_Guide and would
> develop from the content currently at wikitravel.org
>
> *Wikitravel is currently in 20 languages and in English contains more than
> 25,000 articles. The content is licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0.  Site
> readership statistics are not released by Internet Brands, but for travel
> information the site is consistently highly ranked.  It is the largest and
> most popular freely-licensed, user-contributed travel guide collection.
> Alexa.com ranks it as the 2637 most popular site on the web with a global
> reach of 0.0602%. The interwiki links between Wikipedia and Wikitravel
> highlight the close historic cooperation between the editors of both sites,
> where users adding travelogue style content to Wikipedia have often been
> directed to add the content to Wikitravel.
>
> Benefits for the WMF:
> 1) Increase the scope of content offered by the WMF
> 2) Increase the number of Wikimedians
> 3) Increase the volume of content for fundraising
> 4) Provide a separate repository for important travel and tourism
> information, some of which currently is contained within Wikipedia articles.
>
> Benefits for travel content:
> 1) Reputation of the WMF would increase the editor base.
> 2) Remove the conflicts between the commercial decisions of the current
> hosting provider and the community.
> 3) Would increase the reliability of the site, which is currently running
> old MediaWiki versions, on poorly performing infrastructure.
>
> Benefits for both:
> 1) Would make it easier for the two sites to direct editors to the better
> site for the content in question, leading to better focus within articles.
> 2) Combining the image repositories at Wikimedia Commons would result in
> greater and easier image availability for both Wikipedia and the travel
> site, and an increase in both contributors and images.*
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

patriciomolina at gmail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk [at] wmnederland> wrote:
> I am not sure whether Wikitravel (or the content it provides) fit into the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?

Hum... I thought this project was adequate for Wikimedia, but now I'm
having some doubts. Could you please define 'educational content'?
What's the nature of projects like Wikinews?

Patricio Molina
http://twitter.com/patriciomolina

pharosofalexandria at gmail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

I think I would consider it educational. Travel itself is an
educational experience, and a fuller travel experience enabled by the
sharing of Wikimedia-style free knowledge all the more so :)

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Patricio Molina
<patriciomolina [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk [at] wmnederland> wrote:
>> I am not sure whether Wikitravel (or the content it provides) fit into the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?
>
> Hum... I thought this project was adequate for Wikimedia, but now I'm
> having some doubts. Could you please define 'educational content'?
> What's the nature of projects like Wikinews?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Patricio Molina
> http://twitter.com/patriciomolina

gerard.meijssen at gmail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

Hoi,
Consider the number of links that are possible from a travel experience to
an encyclopaedic experience .. !! Travelling has always been considered
educational.
Thanks,
Gerard

On 9 April 2012 18:39, Pharos <pharosofalexandria [at] gmail> wrote:

> I think I would consider it educational. Travel itself is an
> educational experience, and a fuller travel experience enabled by the
> sharing of Wikimedia-style free knowledge all the more so :)
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Patricio Molina
> <patriciomolina [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk [at] wmnederland>
> wrote:
> >> I am not sure whether Wikitravel (or the content it provides) fit into
> the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?
> >
> > Hum... I thought this project was adequate for Wikimedia, but now I'm
> > having some doubts. Could you please define 'educational content'?
> > What's the nature of projects like Wikinews?
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Patricio Molina
> > http://twitter.com/patriciomolina

swatjester at gmail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

One of the most useful articles on Wikitravel that I've found is an outline
of different Bavarian beers, and which groups they are popular with in
Bavaria. I refer back to it regularly. I can't say I see the "not
educational" argument.

Dan Rosenthal

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hoi,
> Consider the number of links that are possible from a travel experience to
> an encyclopaedic experience .. !! Travelling has always been considered
> educational.
> Thanks,
> Gerard
>
> On 9 April 2012 18:39, Pharos <pharosofalexandria [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > I think I would consider it educational. Travel itself is an
> > educational experience, and a fuller travel experience enabled by the
> > sharing of Wikimedia-style free knowledge all the more so :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> > (User:Pharos)
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Patricio Molina
> > <patriciomolina [at] gmail> wrote:

> > the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?
> > >
> > > Hum... I thought this project was adequate for Wikimedia, but now I'm
> > > having some doubts. Could you please define 'educational content'?
> > > What's the nature of projects like Wikinews?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Patricio Molina
> > > http://twitter.com/patriciomolina

aude.wiki at gmail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester [at] gmail> wrote:

> One of the most useful articles on Wikitravel that I've found is an outline
> of different Bavarian beers, and which groups they are popular with in
> Bavaria. I refer back to it regularly. I can't say I see the "not
> educational" argument.

It's a shame that things are not working out with Wikitravel's current
situation. :(

I survived visiting Japan a few years ago with just Wikitravel pages
printed (no guide book!) out and appreciate the variety of educational and
practical information. It would be great to have the Collection Extension
there and other features.

If WMF were to host a wiki travel guide, I think and hope it would do much
better with tech support (same version of MediaWiki as Wikipedia, but would
take a bit of work to migrate it). I don't know where it would be amongst
WMF priorities though.

Cheers,
Katie

> Dan Rosenthal
>

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Consider the number of links that are possible from a travel experience
> > an encyclopaedic experience .. !! Travelling has always been considered
> > educational.
> > Thanks,
> > Gerard
> >
> > On 9 April 2012 18:39, Pharos <pharosofalexandria [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > > I think I would consider it educational. Travel itself is an
> > > educational experience, and a fuller travel experience enabled by the
> > > sharing of Wikimedia-style free knowledge all the more so :)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Richard
> > > (User:Pharos)

> vandijk [at] wmnederland

> into
> > > the scope of Wikimedia. Is it really 'educational' content?

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

schneeschmelze at googlemail

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

Am 9. April 2012 06:50 schrieb James Heilman <jmh649 [at] gmail>:
> The core group of editors at Wikitravel are interested in joining a WMF run
> "Wiki Travel Guide". A proposal for creating such a project has been
> outlined here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Travel_Guide and would
> develop from the content currently at wikitravel.org

As I've just written on the talk page there: Frankly speaking, I don't
think we need another wiki on travelling as there already is
Wikivoyage. Wikivoyage is a fork of Wikitravel that was created when
Wikitravel went commercial. It is run under a free CC-by-sa licence,
and it is ready to add new language projects. German editors of
Wikivoyage most probably will not change to a WMF project. So the
question is why the editors of English Wikitravel won't rather come
over and join Wikivoyage? It would be a rather bad idea to split
communities instead of joining them together. To my mind Wikivoyage is
the place where to gather travel information.

Regards,
Jürgen (contributing to both Wikipedia and Wikivoyage).

PS. I'll tell the German Wikvoyage community about this discussion.

vandijk at wmnederland

Re: Wiki Travel Guide [In reply to]

Hello,

Possibly, what is educational in Wikitravel (-voyage) can go into
Wikipedia, and what not, is not educational.
One might get problems with policies such as NOR and NPOV. I suppose
that they should be applied on Wiki Travel Guide, as on Wikipedia,
Wikibooks and other Wikimedia sites.

Kind regards
Ziko